BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in CA we only have 91octane. Evolve has my stage2 tune set where octane is 91-93octane. I would love to get the most out of my car and run it on the race gas tune setting for another 10-15whp but I dont really want to spend $9/gallon on 100octane gas and we only have one station nearby. First off, is it really true that you can just fill up with 91octane, add a canister of torco and you now have 100+ octane gas? And if so can evolve just send the race gas tune over and you can use it that way? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You know what they say about things that are too good to be true?

Just pay for the splash of race gas when you want the extra power. You only need a few gallons to give you the boost. Torco isn't really that cheap once you do the math.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah I had a feeling it wasnt that easy. I hate using 91 but thats all we have here in CA. I think i'll just add like 10gallons of 91 and 2 or 3 gallons of 100 so I can at least ride around on 93octane. 91 just seems so unhealthy :(

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I did 7 gallons of 101octane and 11 gallons of 91octane once. One pricey tank, but oh man...WOW.

All I have to say is that 91octane SUCKS!!!

Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
352 Posts
My M5 needs a little love occasionally ...

so drop by an indy gas station in Sunol CA and fill up with 94 octane

Attachments

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,265 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
I can get unleaded 100 octane two miles from my house. Is it okay to run a mix of 93/100 octane with my current Evolve S3 tune? If so, what's the proper mix ratio? I know the ECU will adjust to a certain extent for the added octane. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I assume it's okay to use unleaded 100 octane? If that's the case, I have it two miles from my house, what's the proper mix ratio using 93 octane? Thanks.
Louis, there are some calculators online you can use like

http://www.wallaceracing.com/octane-mix-calc.php

But in general, it's (%age * octaneA) + (%age * octaneB ) = new octane.

i.e. If I wanted 96 octane using 91 and 100 octane gas for a full 18gal tank,

(8/18 * 91octane) + (10/18 * 100octane) = 18gallons of 96 octane

·
Registered
422 Posts
Louis, there are some calculators online you can use like

Octane Mix Calculator - Wallace Racing

But in general, it's (%age * octaneA) + (%age * octaneB ) = new octane.

i.e. If I wanted 96 octane using 91 and 100 octane gas for a full 18gal tank,

(8/18 * 91octane) + (10/18 * 100octane) = 18gallons of 96 octane
Thanks Randy. I will try 95 octane as a starter to see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks Randy. I will try 95 octane as a starter to see how it goes.

You'll have to drive around for a few miles to let your car adapt to the new octane. But you will def feel a difference after it has adapted.

When I mixed 7gal 101octane with 11gal 91octane to get about 18gal of 95 octane, it was eye opening to how crappy 91 octane is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
422 Posts
You'll have to drive around for a few miles to let your car adapt to the new octane. But you will def feel a difference after it has adapted.

When I mixed 7gal 101octane with 11gal 91octane to get about 18gal of 95 octane, it was eye opening to how crappy 91 octane is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nice, looking forward to this.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Nice, looking forward to this.
haha don't get too built up about it though...it's not like NOS or anything crazy, but your car will definitely feel a bit stronger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts