BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using old king of the hill Bridgestone Potenza S-03's which are super tires but Michelin has been back on top since a year ago according to my always well advising Tire Rack boys.

kinggf

·
Registered
342 Posts
I use them and must say that they feel much better then the first serie Pilot Sports I had on before

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would never use the S-03. From everything I have seen and experienced with the PS2, that is definately the tire I would use for the street.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My .02, PS2's rock!!! I replaced the conti sports on my E55 and it is like a different car all together, doesnt handle like an M5, but still waaaay better than the stock tires. Had Eagle F-1's on my previous ML55, they were good, but the PS2's are about the best all around dry weather tire available right now.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have to agree with the above posts. PS2s are a great tire.

·
Registered
64 Posts
my s03's spin A LOT! called tire rack and they said the new goodyear is sold out and sells out whenever they get new ones in and is a great ultra performance tire. anyone have those?

·
Registered
694 Posts
I didn't like them when I had them on due to the increased tramlining on roads that had the Rain grooves cut in them, as well as the soft sidewall which made them feel a bit wiggly.

I like the "old" Pilot's better :haha2:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just put a set of the PS2"s on and they ride and handle very nice. I was running the Pirelli pzero rosso's previously and the ps2's are quieter and have a better turn in.I was running the Goodyear f1 gsd3's on my E34M5 and they are also excellent. The Goodyear's are smooter riding and not as loud over lane markers. I dont think you could go wrong with either of these two. :wroom:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I switched to PS2's after going through 2 sets of S03's. The PS2's are much better. Better handling, better traction and not any noisier. great tires. Highly recommended!
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I run the PS1's at present, they are cool. The 2's weren't available back then. I definitly will upgrade when I need new tyres.

I put PS2's on my Wifes Monaro. (LS1 5.7 L V-8)

I love the look of them, and they transformed it. I used to hate driving it, until I went the PS2's. (I took the oportunity of increasing the size of course.) I can't help myself. Its an illness. hiha

·
Registered
444 Posts
I ran PS2s most of last summer and fall on 9.5 in wide wheels all around, and am very pleased with the performance. Very good turn-in and reasonable wet weather grip, given that they are fairly wide max performance tires. Less understeer tendency than PS1s, more grip than Dunlop 8080Es, no particular tendency to tramline, and no pronounced lack of traction when cold (unlike SO3s and Michelin Cups). Ride is comfortable, given the frim suspension setup, and they are reasonably quiet at speed. Braking grip is astounding and the car is directionally stable. They are also fairly light weight as street tires go.

My car has the Dinan S2 package, and the rear tires will still spin but less so than the PS1s and Dunlops. The only downside that I see is likely short service life due to the fairly soft compound. The rear tires exhibited noticeable wear when winter tire time arrived (about 4000 miles), just due to slippage when driving with DSC turned off (there were essentially none of what would be called burnouts on these tires - that is like setting fire to $20 bills). The rears will go in the front come spring.

I will buy PS2s again, unless something better is introduced.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
897 Posts
I replaced my OEM Dunlops with S03's and must say I am dissappointed and can't wait to replace them with PS2's.

My S03's have low traction in cold weather. They are better in warmer weather or when heated up. I drove the S03's for the first time in the snow 2 weeks ago (not by choice) and the results were not pretty. I couldn't stop at a light and slid into an SUV (she is getting repaired right now - new hood). I barely got the car home. Got her half way up the driveway. Put on the brake and she slid right back into the street. I had to wait until morning and shovel down to the black top to get her in the driveway. It was like she had ice skates on instead of tires. Even on dry streets in cold weather the traction control intervenes much more than it did with the Dunlops. Not a fan of the S03's.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Chet,
My PS1s are like big hard doughnuts when the temp drops below 35F for the first 25-30 minutes of driving. I was surprised at their behavior at first, then I realized, these tires are meant to get warmed up. As for snow performance- all summer/ performance tires are like this- the groves are not there to evacuate the snow and they fill up with the white stuff fast and the tires turn into basically racing slicks. For snow driving, a set of snow tires will do the trick, but you will sacrifice outright performance. I plan on PS2 when my 1s wear out. I wish they made a set for the Z8 (sizes are not available- yet).

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm putting PS2s on my car in a week!

Can't wait!

-Matthew

·
Registered
251 Posts
I need a set of PS2s as well - where are you guys finding the best price?

·
Banned
300 Posts
I used S02's and S03's (not impressed).........PS2's are next!

·
Registered
897 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
For snow driving, a set of snow tires will do the trick, but you will sacrifice outright performance.
You got that right Jerry. I took the M5 out of hibernation at the end of February for the 2 mile trip to the train station. I thought I would get lucky without snows. No such luck. Oh well. Won't happen again.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I went through my OEM Dunlops in 20k miles. I replaced them about 3k miles ago with PS2's.

Initially, the PS2's tend to tramline more than the Dunlops, but that seems to have gotten better (or I've just gotten used to it).

The PS2's seem to be much more grippy than the Dunlops. It takes more to break them loose, and harder more agressive braking is possible.

My only gripe about the PS2's is that they are magnetic. I've had to replace BOTH rear tires for punctures...but that's another story.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts