BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
http://www.walkeraudio.com/sst1.htm

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this or anything similar on a car?

http://www.walkeraudio.com/motorcycletrip.htm

Supposedly it works quite well.

J Church
Of course it works - if I spent $100 on something this stupid I'd swear by it too!

Go to your local electronics store and get some flux if you are worried about it. For $5 you'll get basically the same effect.

This ranks up there with making custom power cables to "change the sound and provide clean power" between the outlet and your home stereo. Nevermind that the same electricity went through 500 miles of high tension wires before that 3' cord from your outlet!

d-

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it sounds far fetched, but I have heard this in a few stereos and it did make an improvement. I haven't tried it in mine yet, but I was curious as to whether anyone had put it on all of the electrical connections to see if it make any improvement anywhere. And Doug I do agree that with that cables shouldn't make a difference, but sadly they do. I wish that a cheap piece of Monster Cable (maybe 30 bucks a meter) sounded as good as Purist Audio Dominus (5 grand a meter)

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I know it sounds far fetched, but I have heard this in a few stereos and it did make an improvement. I haven't tried it in mine yet, but I was curious as to whether anyone had put it on all of the electrical connections to see if it make any improvement anywhere. And Doug I do agree that with that cables shouldn't make a difference, but sadly they do. I wish that a cheap piece of Monster Cable (maybe 30 bucks a meter) sounded as good as Purist Audio Dominus (5 grand a meter)
You will note that Doug referred to POWER cables, not speaker cables....

The point being that many gullible consumers will take a small truth (cales from amp to speaker matter) and believe that every friggin' cable then matters: power cords, etc, etc. I particularly like the $1000 boxes you can buy to give 120VAC to plug in all your components...like they don't actually have power supplies in them!

In any event, you are talking about an audio system in a MOVING CAR, with a background noise level of, what?, 60dB.... go ahead and paint all the connections. After spending the $$ I am SURE it will sound better.

It better!

A

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You will note that Doug referred to POWER cables, not speaker cables....

The point being that many gullible consumers will take a small truth (cales from amp to speaker matter) and believe that every friggin' cable then matters: power cords, etc, etc. I particularly like the $1000 boxes you can buy to give 120VAC to plug in all your components...like they don't actually have power supplies in them!

In any event, you are talking about an audio system in a MOVING CAR, with a background noise level of, what?, 60dB.... go ahead and paint all the connections. After spending the $$ I am SURE it will sound better.

It better!

A
I was actually asking about using it on the same way as it was used in the second link I posted. Not about using in on the audio system in a car . And the cables that I were referring to are actually and interconnects not a speaker cable ARD. I am also curious as to why power cables won't make a difference, but non power( interconnects and speaker) cables do?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Reactions: JChurch

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
And Doug I do agree that with that cables shouldn't make a difference, but sadly they do. I wish that a cheap piece of Monster Cable (maybe 30 bucks a meter) sounded as good as Purist Audio Dominus (5 grand a meter)
I'm sorry JCHURCH, but it the quote above you state that SPEAKER cables matter.

You may or may not have been referencing some 'second link' but you clearly seek to impune Doug's comment with your attestation that speaker cables, "sadly" enough, DO matter.

OK?

I was actually asking about using it on the same way as it was used in the second link I posted. Not about using in on the audio system in a car . And the cables that I were referring to are actually and interconnects not a speaker cable ARD. I am also curious as to why power cables won't make a difference, but non power( interconnects and speaker) cables do?
Simple. A power cable simply moves energy. It really doesn't matter if the power fluctuates, if there is noise, etc, in the power since it will be AC to DC converted, down to 5V or 12V or whatever, and filtered. If the power supply is well designed, it can tolerate large variations in input power and still maintain the supply voltage. Sure, crappy power amps may do worst. I doubt that folks who will drop $1-2k on power CONDITIONERS, have $300 power amps.

OTOH, a SPEAKER will simply convert the supplied signal into motion (or sound). Any degradation in the signal as it travels from amp to speaker MAY impact the sound.

So, how about gold contacts and crazy expensive cables for digital video signals?? How many folks buy that 'story'?

And if this is not about car stereo, it belongs in Off Topic.

A

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ard,

I was asking if anyone has ever tried cleaning all of their electrical connections in their car with a treatment like the one and if they have were there any noticed results like the ones that were talked about in the second link I posted. So just to clarify this doesn't belong here even though it's about a car?

J Church

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I try to use Caig DeoxIT D5 on all my old connectors when they come apart. Keeping the connection clean helps reduce the resistance that all connectors add.

Speakercords are powercords, voltage needs to power the coil of the speaker some how.:blink:
Now if I could only figure out how to get these mounted in the trunk.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAR-Telefunken-...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
Now that would make a great write up! Sadly I think it would get a tad bit tingy from all the micro phonics you might experience. But you might enjoy putting these speakers in your car. http://www.presence-audio.com/upload/pictures/Trio.jpg

Very efficient so 10 watts should get you killer sound! :)

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
I admit it, I didn't read the 2nd link the first time. I've now read it.

What a bunch of crap. So just to make sure I understand this - by treating each of the electrical connections, I'm to believe that his fuel economy went up 10%? Which is the same as stating that his engine and accessories got 10% more efficient? I don't think so.

If it were that simple, evey auto manufacturer in the world would use this stuff on every car. You know why? Because gas mileage costs a sh*tload of money. Like hundreds of millions of dollars across a a set of vehicle lines. Stated differently, the cost / benefit tradeoff for a manufacturer is several hundred million $ per mpg gained or lost.

Leaving the pure economics aside, I'll point to the physics / engineering side of this equation.

First issue: He cleaned every single contact. The issue here is practicality. On a bike, I'll buy it. On a car you'd be tracking them all down for months. There are connections in places you'd never think of. And there are a whole lot more of them.

Second: What exactly is the engineering rationale for this improvement? Better electrical connections, fine - but how? And does anyone here really think that the electrical system in their car is drawing out significantly more than 10% of their engines power (note that it would have to be well more than 10% of the engines power in order to see the improvement stated AND to still have your electrical system placing any demand on the vehicle, which it clearly does)? Again, note that this product effects nothing other than electrical connections - not internal resistance of the engine or transmission, reduction in A/C compressor load, or wheel friction to the road where the real power losses occur.

Last: Sample size. Any statistician will tell you the 3 data points is far from a statistically significant sample. I'll wait for real proof.

Doug

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
I'll give you $100 if you can consistently identify, in a double blind sample, the difference between monster cables, Purist Audio Dominus, and zip cords.

Let's face it, even THIS is marketing bunk, and has already been disproven in actually testing such as what I suggest. Beside my $100 there was also a standing $10K guarantee of the exact same thing. The offeree escapes me at the moment, but I'm sure I can find it if you want to take them up on it.

Lastly, there is a tiny amount of truth to the myth that size matters in speaker cables: To the extent that your speaker cord is small enough to cause a significant voltage drop, there will be an audible difference. For all but the longest runs, or highest powers, however, the resistance of the cable, when taken in combination with the resistance of the speaker, is negligible and inaudible. Remember, even in a "large" resistance cable (such as 22 gauge zip cord) the difference your amplifier "sees", and thus what you hear, is still relative to the 8 ohm value of the speaker it is driving, and thus what you are claiming to hear is the difference between 8.05 ohm and 8 ohm...

If I spent $5K on speaker cables they must be good and clearly there is a difference - why else would I spend $5K, right? If only the physics supported the marketing...

Doug

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I'll give you $100 if you can consistently identify, in a double blind sample, the difference between monster cables, Purist Audio Dominus, and zip cords.

Let's face it, even THIS is marketing bunk, and has already been disproven in actually testing such as what I suggest. Beside my $100 there was also a standing $10K guarantee of the exact same thing. The offeree escapes me at the moment, but I'm sure I can find it if you want to take them up on it.

Lastly, there is a tiny amount of truth to the myth that size matters in speaker cables: To the extent that your speaker cord is small enough to cause a significant voltage drop, there will be an audible difference. For all but the longest runs, or highest powers, however, the resistance of the cable, when taken in combination with the resistance of the speaker, is negligible and inaudible. Remember, even in a "large" resistance cable (such as 22 gauge zip cord) the difference your amplifier "sees", and thus what you hear, is still relative to the 8 ohm value of the speaker it is driving, and thus what you are claiming to hear is the difference between 8.05 ohm and 8 ohm...

If I spent $5K on speaker cables they must be good and clearly there is a difference - why else would I spend $5K, right? If only the physics supported the marketing...

Doug
+1. As a person with a decent understanding of physics and electricity...the explanations proffered for exactly WHY an expensive cable "sounds better" make little sense. And another poster is right...mutliple "double blind" comparos with "experts" between various cable brands have proven that the experts are unable to identify which is which.

Brian

Reactions: jclyman and JChurch

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
+1. As a person with a decent understanding of physics and electricity...the explanations proffered for exactly WHY an expensive cable "sounds better" make little sense. And another poster is right...mutliple "double blind" comparos with "experts" between various cable brands have proven that the experts are unable to identify which is which.

Brian
DAMN - I hate all this logic, I went and spent that $70 on those monster cables for my two yamaha subwoofers, I'm sure the shielding was better, now don't go and tell me that firmware upgrade for my bluray player to improve base response had a damn thing to do with it...grrrrrrr

:rofl:

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
DAMN - I hate all this logic, I went and spent that $70 on those monster cables for my two yamaha subwoofers, I'm sure the shielding was better, now don't go and tell me that firmware upgrade for my bluray player to improve base response had a damn thing to do with it...grrrrrrr

It wasn't the firmware or the cables. Your power company upgraded your power service.

220, 221... Whatever it takes :)

d-

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The only real way you can know how much a difference something makes is to try it yourself. I told Doug that I have never ever heard a cable make a night and day difference in a stereo and that you only get certain gains through cables and sometimes certain draw backs. I have heard some really fantastic cables some were expensive and some were cheap. I have heard bad cables some being expensive and some being cheap. You'd also be amazed at how different silver wire sounds versus copper wire.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have more invested in my home system than most people pay for their automobiles (Krell HTS7.1 Pre-Pro and Sherborn 7/2100 Amp), but as much of fanatic as I am, I do not sign up for the cable shams.
No super-duper, un-obtanium shielded, power cord, or silver stranded speaker wire will be bought by me.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have more invested in my home system than most people pay for their automobiles (Krell HTS7.1 Pre-Pro and Sherborn 7/2100 Amp), but as much of fanatic as I am, I do not sign up for the cable shams.
No super-duper, un-obtanium shielded, power cord, or silver stranded speaker wire will be bought by me.

Al. Wise
What does the rest of your system consist of Al? I would also like to stress again that there are many inexpensive cables which perform phenomenally well and the most important factor in selecting cables, amps, speakers, pre amps, turn tables, tone arms, cartridges, or phono stages are your own personal tastes.

Jacob Church

1 - 19 of 19 Posts