BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some old threads with members mentioning 540 mafs instead of the aluminum Dinan ones, or something about Dinan useing this size and just makeing them out of aluminum????
Anyone tried this?
Technically the two stock mafs should be plenty sufficient.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Keith97M3turbo said:
I've seen some old threads with members mentioning 540 mafs instead of the aluminum Dinan ones, or something about Dinan useing this size and just makeing them out of aluminum????
Anyone tried this?
Good point I will see what the price difference is today and let you know
WillM5AD

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Keith97M3turbo said:
Anyone tried this?
Keith, I like the way you think. Keep it up, bud!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think the E39 540i MAF tubes are the same as the M5 - it's just that the M5 has two of them.

Dinan happily sells the 540i MAF assemblies for the E36 M3 CAI kit (the sensor wires need to be re-positioned; otherwise it is the same as the Euro M3 part), so it is reasonable to assume that Dinan would not have tooled-up an aluminum part if the same benefit could be obtained by simply switching to an existing BMW part.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
682 Posts
The 540 MAFS are larger. I am not sure if the sensors are a direct replacement.

The key here is going to be the programming. If you just change the size of the MAF you will have more flow but the sensor will pick up less velocity across it's pickup and you will lose power. The mix will be too lean.

Perhaps Powerchip has a program for this?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for programming I'd assume it being similar to what P/Chips has for the S2 files.

RRoberts, I don't know why Dinan would tool up ones aswell except that IF it was able to use 540 meters then they couldn't ask outrageous prices for the meter once some people did some research.
ex. with all the modding on the m3, as time went on we(e36m3 users) it was found that why buy the 'euro' meter when a 540 meter had the same housing at half the price.

My idea was get the pipes like Benfer uses with the 540 kits, and use the 540 meter housings, and use a silicone hump hose or reducer to fit the parts at significantly lower cost than the carbon tubes......just an idea.

But better yet, when I was haveing the plenum spacer machined I looked at haveing the meters made too. NOT to expensive if in bulk.
I had the measurements somewhere to do them but didn't think it would be worth it since technically the 2 stock meters should be fine for the power most on the board will make.
I never found out if the Dinan meters had any taper to them ( I heard that some of the newer 540 meters had to have taper ...driveability issues).
Anyone have "D" meters to measure, I can look into it again.

Rob, if you read this, hey in your quest with the beast did you think of the throttlebodys? I mean boreing them. I have a spare set! hmmm
I was going to have them bored (to 52mm), but I'm thinking of stopping the mods on the car to look at another project.
I may change my mind after the E6 hood gets here tomorrow or Monday.
Let me know if you might be interested , I have to check with a cnc guy tomorrow and decide to drop them off or not. K

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Ray, I'll check it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts