BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my M5, it didn't have a rear spoiler installed. I guess the previous owner wanted the sleeper look and opted for the dealership to remove the lip spoiler. My question is, how much is a new lip spoiler and does it add any actual downforce? Thanks!

·
Registered
977 Posts
///M5_Madman said:
When I bought my M5, it didn't have a rear spoiler installed. I guess the previous owner wanted the sleeper look and opted for the dealership to remove the lip spoiler. My question is, how much is a new lip spoiler and does it add any actual downforce? Thanks!
It's the same one on the M3 right? If so, you can buy a prepainted replica from bimmian.com, but since the M3 colors are different, they might not sell a proper match. The part is like $75-80, but would probably cost $150 to have a shop paint it for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello!
My 2000 M5 came from the factory with the rear spolier delete option so it did not have one. I am the the third owner and decided that I wanted one so I went ahead and bought one from the dealer and had it painted and installed. The damage goes something like this with BMW CCA discount:

Rear spoiler 122.40
Adhesive tape 16.83
Paint and install 97.50

Total: $236.73

Cheers!
Dave
cherrsagai

·
Registered
202 Posts
. . . My question is, how much is a new lip spoiler and does it add any actual downforce? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Some city kids removed mine for me #@%(%&^and scratched the trunk lid!

with BMWCCA discount:
- Spoiler and adhesive tape approx. $135
- Paint and install by a local body shop owner who put one on his own 540: $75

Perfect paint match. I opted NOT to do the aftermarket spoiler, this one is correct and I love the look. It is good to have the measurements from the trunk edges or another car to look at before it gets installed, once it's down, it's down. We used some thin masking tape as a guide and a slip sheet until it was perfectly positioned, then pulled the slip sheet.

Tom L.

·
Registered
612 Posts
tmlesko said:
. . . and does it add any actual downforce? Thanks!
Hello Tom,
I asked Mike Miller of the BMW CCA Roundel the same question about the rear spoiler. Here is his answer:

The rear spoiler is functional, creating downforce at high speed. I do not recommend removing it.

I hope this helps. :byebye:
Best Wishes,
Alfred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts