BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering trading my M5 for a Dodge Viper. I really don't need the 4 doors like I thought I would and want something torquier and more exotic looking.

Thoughts....

·
Registered
258 Posts
My thoughts are for the $, you get more from the M5 than the Viper (comfort, utility, technology, features, etc). However, if I could have a coupe that was fairly rare, and exotic looking, a Viper would be on that list no doubt.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Wow...the Viper is kind of a polar opposite of the M5 in so many ways. I kind of like the Viper but it just seems like such an extreme car to live with on a daily basis. Just curious if you have thought about a GT-R ...which at least in my mind is kind of middle ground between the Viper and M5?

Tom

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
While the M5 is like a beautifully crafted piece of machinery while the Viper is more like a sledgehammer. That said, the Viper has been one of my favorite cars since I knew what a car was.

However, it is totally the polar opposite of the M5. The M5 is refined, luxurious, and has technological gadgets all over it. With the Viper, you get ABS, and that's about it - no friendly MDM to prevent you from spinning out when you take that corner to fast on a rainy day.

If you want to, get it. The Viper is a beast - raw and untamed. However, I don't think I'd want one as a daily drive - but I'd definitely want one as a secondary car.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Viper is definitely a head turner..saw one south of KC the other day driving/running with a lambo, zr1 and something else..

I agree that for the money, you get more with an M5. Plus, a 4 door sedan with 500 hp on tap!? Surely you can stay with the likes of a Viper with that kind of power while the Viper will be cautious as it takes those curves..

·
Registered
248 Posts
I like the stealth factor of the M5 in this economy and with the local po-po. I switched from Porsche 993/996TTs a few years ago to an RS6 (owned 2 in a row) and now the M5 and really like that no one tries to race me and cops don't pay much attention. Just my $.02

The Viper will attract a lot of negative (as well as positive) attention. For a pure hobby car it may be fun though.

I test drove (2) GTRs and almost bought one instead of the M5 but every tuned Civic and WRX in a 1 mile area tried to race me just while on the test drive and that would drive me nuts day to day so I went M5 instead and am happy with that decision.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the comments. I will not argue that the M5 and Viper are polar opposites, but here's my thinking.

When the M5 was purchased Aug 2007, I chose that because it was a 4 door car that had some serious balls and I thought I would need the 4 doors for work. However, I drive a truck on a daily basis and really don't drive the M5 all that much and I'm only 25 years old and figure if there's ever a time to get a nice 2 door, it would be now. Plus, I rarely, if ever, go above 100mph where this car shines. I haven't been over 100 in 3 months and have only been over 120 probably 10 times in the car -- which is where the car is happy. I want something with more torque that would be more fun in a city environment. Plus, with the M5 market tanking so quickly, I figure I could get into a Viper for a little while and if I don't like it, 6 months down the road get back into an M5 and have some cash left over. I'm looking at Gen III's so I can do a straight swap for the M5. And the Viper market has been pretty steady and you really won't find Vipers for less than $30k no matter what year and you can find E39 M5's in the mid-low teens and E60's in the low 30's some even in the 20's -- so I know I'll keep about $40k in the Viper

Not sure if that changes any opinions, but it was my thought process.

The negative attn from the po is something I hadn't thought about. Now that it was mentioned I have flown pretty much below the radar in the M5, but I've never had an attention-grabbing car like a Viper before so nothing to compare with.

Finally, 505hp and 525tq stock: headers add another 50whp for $1500 isntalled and a Paxton S/C kit puts power to 750hp all for under $10k -- pretty hard to beat

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am seriously considering trading my M5 for a Dodge Viper. I really don't need the 4 doors like I thought I would and want something torquier and more exotic looking.

Thoughts....

You must be dating a hot young chick???hiha

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Sounds like you go through cars fairly quickly? 6 months is pretty short time to have a car like a Viper just to see what it's like...and then hop back in to an m5. Don't get me wrong, I wish that was a luxury I could afford..haha! I think if you have money to throw around, a tastefully moded/upgraded M5 can be just as good if not better than a Viper.

Also, and I'm sure you're not one to care much to what people say or think but, remember some folks might be like "man, that dude's mid-life crisis came early!" ..I say that 'cause I'd over hear some people say that about a buddy of mine that owns a Z06...of course, he didn't care!

If i had to leave it at a bottom line, i'd say, find someone who is selling theirs and see if you can squeeze a test drive out of it.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You must be dating a hot young chick???hiha
HAHAHA you introduced me to the chick of my dreams bro!!

Sounds like you go through cars fairly quickly? 6 months is pretty short time to have a car like a Viper just to see what it's like...and then hop back in to an m5. Don't get me wrong, I wish that was a luxury I could afford..haha! I think if you have money to throw around, a tastefully moded/upgraded M5 can be just as good if not better than a Viper.

Also, and I'm sure you're not one to care much to what people say or think but, remember some folks might be like "man, that dude's mid-life crisis came early!" ..I say that 'cause I'd over hear some people say that about a buddy of mine that owns a Z06...of course, he didn't care!

If i had to leave it at a bottom line, i'd say, find someone who is selling theirs and see if you can squeeze a test drive out of it.
I guess I do go through cars pretty quickly (at least trucks), but I've had the M5 for 3 years. And it's not a money thing because I would be swapping as an even trade -- viper for M5 straight up. That way I wouldn't take too much of a hit and then by the way viper prices are holding, I'd be able to sell it and get back into an M5 without losing much, if any. And I don't care what other people think, a TT viper and TT Ford GT have been dream cars of mine forever. Although this won't be TT'd, I may S/C it.

Squeezing a test drive out of one is a great idea and one I will do before I make the deal

do you want a Viper now because you saw it on Top Gear America last night?
No I missed it. But I have seen the show where they race the supercars against each other and there was one with a TT Viper and I've always loved them...

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I'd talk to member M6SCSMD. He recently switched from an M6 w/Dinan Stroker to a Viper ACR.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
329 Posts
If I were 25 yrs old and I had the $$ to own a newer M5; I'd probably look for another smaller coupe.
M3, P 911 turbo cerrara, heck ford mustang (not so likely)

Where are the M5s for mid 30s? "E60's in the low 30's some even in the 20's"

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
i had a viper for a month and it was an amazingly fast car...but wouldn't be a daily driver for me. I was "car-sitting" for someone. This was before the M6 also. It is pure raw power, but you will be hurting when you get out of the car on a trip longer than 100 miles. Very rough, very race-car like. I would buy one to have on the side with my M6, but not replace it.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
It sounds like this is a secondary car for you, so you can fully enjoy the Viper without having to "live with it" from day to day.

The only downside is that you are looking at a Gen 3. The Gen 3 is slower than the M5 stock for stock in most situations (straight line). It's unfortunate but true. I'd look into a Gen 4. 600hp is a good way to justify anything.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The only downside is that you are looking at a Gen 3. The Gen 3 is slower than the M5 stock for stock in most situations (straight line). It's unfortunate but true. I'd look into a Gen 4. 600hp is a good way to justify anything.
How do you figure the Gen 3 is slower than the M5 stock? I've never seen a 1/4 test, 0-60 test or 0-150 test for that matter where the Viper was slower. Not to mention in most situations he's going to be DRIVING the car not racing the car, and the Viper makes so much more power than the M5 does in the low - midrange, not to mention it weighs 600lbs less. The Viper will feel twice as fast as the m5 does for normal driving.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
How do you figure the Gen 3 is slower than the M5 stock? I've never seen a 1/4 test, 0-60 test or 0-150 test for that matter where the Viper was slower. Not to mention in most situations he's going to be DRIVING the car not racing the car, and the Viper makes so much more power than the M5 does in the low - midrange, not to mention it weighs 600lbs less. The Viper will feel twice as fast as the m5 does for normal driving.
I said most situations, not all. The Viper has a terrible drag coefficient and does not have the gearing advantage an M5 has, so it will undoubtedly lose at higher speeds.

As for lower speeds, the Viper has much more torque but I imagine it's pretty hard to launch trying to manage all that torque, so officially numbers may be better but I'm sure the M5 is more consistent.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, the M5's official magazine reviewed time for 0-150 was 20.7 seconds while the Gen 3 Viper was 20.2. I bet you that gap would all but disappear or tilt in the M5's favor once you factor in the fact that those are the most ideal conditions (perfect launch, perfect shifts, etc), and that is not common in the real world.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I like the stealth factor of the M5 in this economy and with the local po-po. I switched from Porsche 993/996TTs a few years ago to an RS6 (owned 2 in a row) and now the M5 and really like that no one tries to race me and cops don't pay much attention. Just my $.02

The Viper will attract a lot of negative (as well as positive) attention. For a pure hobby car it may be fun though.

I test drove (2) GTRs and almost bought one instead of the M5 but every tuned Civic and WRX in a 1 mile area tried to race me just while on the test drive and that would drive me nuts day to day so I went M5 instead and am happy with that decision.
I was in complete shock that a car that has been around for 2 years gets this much attention. Although I have found that it goes beyond the expected Japanese car drivers. This past Sunday I was driving and a cute blonde soccer mom in an SUV mouthed "wow" when she pulled next to me at a light. I am assuming that she was talking about the GT-R...and not me... hiha

Tom

·
Registered
76 Posts

Thoughts....
I had both (at the same time!)

I miss my Viper. Mine was a genuine circle track, moddified 1996 GTS. It was really fun... loud (straight pipes, no cats/mufflers), no anti lock brakes, etc.

It can be a daily driver. I had it for 10 years. However, I do remember the 3 hours to go 17 miles in traffic one day. I don't thnk the clutch was fully out more than 10 times during the heavy stop and go part. I think I got a gimp from it.

Viper is faster off the line, but you may never get the advertised times. You have to modulate the clutch to keep traction. The point of max traction and uncontrolled burn out is soooo fine, that you will not get the best times. There was no traction control or dsc; just you. If you press it too hard, burnout becomes the "helicopter" and you spin around 2-3 times before being able to regain traction/control.

It is a wild ride that you have to remember to respect. I not, it could be your last ride... like right after you let go the clutch.

My M5 is a daily driver (45,000 miles) and lets you go fast with a safety margin. It has lots of creature comforts like DCS, GPS, power seats, sun roof, power mirrors, climate control, etc. and can hold 5 people. I would keep the Viper as a fun car, not a daily driver.

See my Post #112...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...n/91225-1000-hp-household-12.html#post1014149

Have fun... man I miss my Viper again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts