BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like title says, at midnight Tommy Kendal, Boris Said. young Rahal and Andretti were testing the new M3. pretty good show:cheers:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
like title says, at midnight Tommy Kendal, Boris Said. young Rahal and Andretti were testing the new M3. pretty good show:cheers:
Yupe saw it yesterday evening.
Pretty good show. It give a little preview of whats in store for E92 M3.

That GP watch is a great little price too :D

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Yep, saw it. Wasn't as exciting as I expected, but still fun to watch - especially watching their hands on the in-car camera during the skidpad.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I watched it as well... some of the events were a bit disappointing (and we could tell the drivers felt the same way). I did enjoy hearing about how slight changes in the dampening and throttle response translated in faster times in some events...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was very impressed with the car. I wasn't sure how I would like the newer technology but....that thing kicked arse. Other than the "M" badging ... wouldn't the 335i with mods be a better bargain than the M3?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Other than the "M" badging ... wouldn't the 335i with mods be a better bargain than the M3?
-Yes.

335 + Dinan software + LSD = hard time for M3. Depending on dealer markups you could probably afford coilovers, wheels, better tires and a front StopTech BBK for the 335 and still save money.

$2k, Dinan
$2k, LSD
$3k, Coilovers
$4k, Wheels/Tires
$4k, StopTech BBK (only necessary for tracking)
= $15 in total mods (very roughly).

The best part is that the 335 would be 50lbs lighter than the M3 to start with. The coilovers and brakes would shave another 20-30lbs, mostly in the front which will improve balance. Wheels could also save weight, but won't since they will end up being wider and with bigger tires. figure 5lbs or a wash. So, after mods, you'll have a car with comparable suspension, probably better grip, better balance, almost as much HP (416 vs. 385), MUCH more torque (295 vs. 421), and 75lbs or so less weight.

p.s. I also think the 335 Coupe looks a hell of a lot better than the M3 too, a minor point relative to performance. I also appreciate the sleeper factor on a genuinely fast non-M.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The show was just alright. The drivers didn't seem all that impressed just by watching their expressions but of course they are on TV and they're not going to say anything negative about the car. I'm guessing they just didn't have enough time to get acclimated with the car.

The car still to me seems impressive but I'm still not sold on the new body style.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
-Yes.

335 + Dinan software + LSD = hard time for M3. Depending on dealer markups you could probably afford coilovers, wheels, better tires and a front StopTech BBK for the 335 and still save money.

$2k, Dinan
$2k, LSD
$3k, Coilovers
$4k, Wheels/Tires
$4k, StopTech BBK (only necessary for tracking)
= $15 in total mods (very roughly).

The best part is that the 335 would be 50lbs lighter than the M3 to start with. The coilovers and brakes would shave another 20-30lbs, mostly in the front which will improve balance. Wheels could also save weight, but won't since they will end up being wider and with bigger tires. figure 5lbs or a wash. So, after mods, you'll have a car with comparable suspension, probably better grip, better balance, almost as much HP (416 vs. 385), MUCH more torque (295 vs. 421), and 75lbs or so less weight.

p.s. I also think the 335 Coupe looks a hell of a lot better than the M3 too, a minor point relative to performance. I also appreciate the sleeper factor on a genuinely fast non-M.

And don't forget a robust sounding Dinan exhaust :thumbsup: (not even sure they make one....:haha:)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I saw the show. My guess is for a racer, especially one who has done F1 or other top leagues, isn't impressed by any street car.

Re M3 vs 335i, I've seen both in person in white. True the 335i is more sleeper but its too plain IMHO. Gosh, a new Camry has more skirts, spoilers, and wheel flares. I think the M3 looks perfect for its part whereas its competition (RS4, IS-F, C55) are all over-done.

Attached is a 335i, lowered and with custom wheels. It still looks plain next to the M3.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm not feeling the new body style at all. I'm just hoping everyone who has the previous M3 chooses to upgrade so I can finally pick one one up at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
And don't forget a robust sounding Dinan exhaust :thumbsup: (not even sure they make one....:haha:)
-Yeah, they make one. It's about $1700 and adds 6hp I think. I guess that's still within the budget and brings the 335 HP closer to the M3's. I just didn't think it was as important as the other mods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts