BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone using K&N filers and not throwing codes ? I'd really like a louder sounding intake but not interested in stop/starting to correct limp mode.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have been running them for about 2 weeks know, better throttle response but only a very small increase in noise....which i like

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
anyone using K&N filers and not throwing codes ? I'd really like a louder sounding intake but not interested in stop/starting to correct limp mode.
Which ones? The Typhoon or the drop in filters? There are many that
are getting errors with the Typhoon. No errors report on the panel
filters. The K&N panel filters are a very good choice.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was talking about the drop in filters.

I have talked to a few people with the Typhoon, and they are throwing fault codes. Possibly software will take care of the codes.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Aren't people are also losing HP with the typhoon?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Aren't people are also losing HP with the typhoon?
It's debatable. The Typhoons need good cool airflow. On dynos
it's hard to get enough air to flush the hot air in the compartment
about the filters. Those that have it installed swear that there is
a benefit at highway speeds. Thus far I haven't seen real world
numbers (i.e. v-box, 1/4 times, or pre/post runs against another
car) showing benefits.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have specified the Typhoon. I'm attracted to the sound of the open air filter. I've used K&N's on about every vehicle I've owned. I'd read earlier that many persons were throwing codes after installing them.

Which ones? The Typhoon or the drop in filters? There are many that
are getting errors with the Typhoon. No errors report on the panel
filters. The K&N panel filters are a very good choice.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i'm pulling mine off and going to stock / BMP and then Dinan when they are released (for looks). If you want the typhoon ill sell you mine :haha2:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm pulling mine off and going to stock / BMP and then Dinan when they are released (for looks). If you want the typhoon ill sell you mine :haha2:
I think I'll wait until Dinan is avail - but the Dinan will probably be enclosed in an air box ? I'm not concerned about engine heat as I drive 90% on the highway.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
My Typhoons don't throw codes unless I let the car sit and idle for about a minute or two on the first start of the day. I've found two methods to eliminate the error, which is caused by the MAF sensor reading out of parameter...something other guys are getting from O2 sensor readings with other mods.
1) Start up the engine, and spend about 30 seconds giving it slow rev-ups to about 2k rpm at first, then 2500-3krpm. Drive away...no problem.
2) Start up and near immediately start pulling away.

The key in both cases is to get air moving through the whole intake system. For some reason, at idle, the MAF sensors measure airflow that just isn't right and it trips the engine fault, cutting your rpm max to 6500 (usually). The stop/restart is a PITA, but I throw the fault about once every month or two now, and it's always because I started up the car and forgot something in the house, so I had to leave the car idling for a minute or two. IMO they're still worth it, but if I were to start all over again I would buy the RPI air scoops with BMC filters and enjoy. At least that combo has proven dyno gains...the Typhoon IMO does have real world gains, but I don't think they're worth it.

On the other hand, one of my friends with a stock M5, in front of me as we pulled out of a parking lot and I pushed my car a little harder, commented about how my aftermarket exhaust was GREAT! Funny thing is...I don't have any exhaust changes! With the K&N's, the intake induction noise is definitely noticeable as the car is coming towards you, but once it's heading away from you with stock exhaust, it's fairly quiet. Inside the car it's music to my ears :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
so basically some people swear on the road they feel more power and on the dyno b/c of the lack of moving out the hot air it shows a loss of power?
That is a reasonable summary (although some also report small gains, or zero, not always loss). I spoke about this with the K&N engineers (I supplied one of the test cars for the K&N intakes and had two different sessions of dynos performed on my car) and other than a high speed wind-tunnel, which NO aftermarket company gets access to for something as simple as intakes, you simply can't recreate all of the air forces acting on the entire car. Some dynos are better than others. Some simply blow smaller fan units that get to 70-80mph winds, but they are so small and often directed straight at the intakes. Others have larger fan units that create the same windspeeds, but they still only cover a percentage of the front end, and they're still limited to 70-80mph.

Open-hood dyno - K&N intakes produce pretty good results. Closed hood, they have been shown for zero or possible loss, mainly due to heat issues. In the real world, your car is moving through the air, pulling heat away from various areas of the engine and the dynamics of air moving into the intakes through the front kidney area, as well as any pressurization that occurs because of the lower intake (or possible exit), changes the dynamics. Blowing high-speed air directly at the kidney-area intakes, especially with the RPI scoops, doesn't recreate the real-world dynamics of what is happening with air blowing into the lower intakes and all around the car. So tit-for-tat, while people crap on K&N for doing their dyno's open-hood, you can't say that RPI's method of blowing air right at their scoops is giving real-world results either. Anybody got their hands (or wallets out) for some high speed windtunnel testing of various systems?

·
Registered
487 Posts
so basically you're saying that the wind blowing on the car while driving will actually move away more hot air around the intakes than when on the dyno...so in essence it should create power on the road?

secondly how would you guys think the combo with this intake, RPI scoops, the lower RPI plug, with the vorsteiner vented hood would work? I know the lower plug will create better pressurization. But what about with the vented hood, would that help or negate the pressurizing effect of the plug. Sry my physics knowledge eludes me at the moment.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I don't believe the RPi plug would come into play here as
the Typhoons replace the airbox (correct me if I'm wrong James).

I think that the RPi scoops can only help the system by
forcing more air in. The GruppeM takes this approach
and has a ram air system.

One of the main reasons I skipped the Typhoon is because of
the CEL and limp mode. James has outlined a method for
getting around this however I don't think I'd have the patience
for this. If you do then by all means give it a shot. If you
have a v-box then please do a few runs from 30mph up to
a safe limit and report pre and post install numbers. That
could go a long ways toward settling the debate.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That is a reasonable summary (although some also report small gains, or zero, not always loss). I spoke about this with the K&N engineers (I supplied one of the test cars for the K&N intakes and had two different sessions of dynos performed on my car) and other than a high speed wind-tunnel, which NO aftermarket company gets access to for something as simple as intakes, you simply can't recreate all of the air forces acting on the entire car. Some dynos are better than others. Some simply blow smaller fan units that get to 70-80mph winds, but they are so small and often directed straight at the intakes. Others have larger fan units that create the same windspeeds, but they still only cover a percentage of the front end, and they're still limited to 70-80mph.

Open-hood dyno - K&N intakes produce pretty good results. Closed hood, they have been shown for zero or possible loss, mainly due to heat issues. In the real world, your car is moving through the air, pulling heat away from various areas of the engine and the dynamics of air moving into the intakes through the front kidney area, as well as any pressurization that occurs because of the lower intake (or possible exit), changes the dynamics. Blowing high-speed air directly at the kidney-area intakes, especially with the RPI scoops, doesn't recreate the real-world dynamics of what is happening with air blowing into the lower intakes and all around the car. So tit-for-tat, while people crap on K&N for doing their dyno's open-hood, you can't say that RPI's method of blowing air right at their scoops is giving real-world results either. Anybody got their hands (or wallets out) for some high speed windtunnel testing of various systems?
ive tried all of that for the past 4 months and still gives me the codes!!!! :sad2: I dont know what else to do except to swap it out back to stock but i dont want to do that. maybe this could be a tweak on just the software?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts