BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Are any of you running an EMS other than the stock Bosch setup? I'm sure there are people running the split second MAF conversion, but what about a full on stand alone? What were your results, ie, power gains, drivability, etc.?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just spoke with a rep from EVO Sport down in California. Quoted me right around $5K for an AEM EMS, completely rewired and installed, tuned, running straight ITBs without an air flow sensor.

Hmmm....oh so tempting... :cool2:

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
JeffR116 said:
Just spoke with a rep from EVO Sport down in California. Quoted me right around $5K for an AEM EMS, completely rewired and installed, tuned, running straight ITBs without an air flow sensor.

Hmmm....oh so tempting... :cool2:

Sounds interesting, but I assume that quoted price is completely installed, including testing and FULL TUNING. The tuning is the most important part. If the new EMS is not properly tuned on a dyno (this will take many pulls), then there is no point. Also, they should store a back up of the proper data points specific to your car for you.

AEM is a good way to go. I cannot comment on Evo as a company, nor their ability to implement and tune. I have a Autronic set up in my E28 M5. MAF is the only way to run these cars. I have pressing business here (woman) at the moment, but I can detail my experience soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
de Witt said:
Sounds interesting, but I assume that quoted price is completely installed, including testing and FULL TUNING. The tuning is the most important part. If the new EMS is not properly tuned on a dyno (this will take many pulls), then there is no point. Also, they should store a back up of the proper data points specific to your car for you.

AEM is a good way to go. I cannot comment on Evo as a company, nor their ability to implement and tune. I have a Autronic set up in my E28 M5. MAF is the only way to run these cars. I have pressing business here (woman) at the moment, but I can detail my experience soon.
Yes, please post your experiences when you have an opportunity. What unit are you using with the Autronic setup? How much did that run you?

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Jeff,

Here is a thread I made when I first started with this project:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51047

Right now, the set up is in and running perfectly. I like Autotune, but I revert to tuning it with the professionals.

I did not use the UEGO sensor. Too expensive for this application.

I also took out the flap from the AFM and just ran the air filter box and everything that is stock. I dont know whether I want to do somethign radical like trumpets or a new plenum. I like the stock look though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts