BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you like them? Does the smaller diameter affect the look of the car a lot? I have H&R springs and don't really want much more gap than I have now with the factory wheels. I know on paper they are shorter but a lot of times once mounted you can barely tell a difference. Is this the case? Thanks for all the help guys

Cheers

·
Registered
733 Posts
In theory you should mentain a 255/35/20 in the front, as a 35 profile is what it fits for a 20" wheel (40 for 19). In the back a 30 wouldn't hurt, but it might rub (check the PSI - G Power install for a 305/30/20 wheel + tire combo without rubbing with custom offsets by HRE Wheels).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I prefer the highest profile possible... low profile tires ride hard, make tons of noise and stress the hell out of the rims on uneven roads (exempli gratia: potholes)...

the best thing to do (if possible) is go to a shop with several test-fit spacers and wheel/tire combos to find what the best tire for your set-up is. You may have to pay the shop some extra money because the time they spend helping you, but in the long run... you will save in peace of mind and safety.

my brother-in-law owns a tire & wheel shop ... more than half the customers that come in have bent rims and damaged tires from running low profile tires. The tires fatigue quicker, problems arise such as broken belts, bubbles forming, more tire wear from camber because the side wall doesn't deform as much in cornering, etc. Look at any race tire, you will never see a low-profile tire on a car that travels for performance and safety. Low profile tires are strictly for a certain look, and you should be aware of the risks prior to mounting them on your rims.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts