BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or have experience in both? I am on a list here in Chicago for the M5, but I drove a 760IL and was very very impressed. I loved the interior and the iDrive didn't bug me too much. The seats were perfect for me and loved the quiet cabin... except when the accelerator was pressed hard :biggrin:

So how does the M5 interior measure up? I know, I know... different animals. I am also considering passing the waiting time in a 996TT and I know there are more than a few people who have logged time in that type.

Now, please, keep in mind I'm not asking a "which is better" type questions, but more along the lines of seeing different opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
birch said:
Or have experience in both? I am on a list here in Chicago for the M5, but I drove a 760IL and was very very impressed. I loved the interior and the iDrive didn't bug me too much. The seats were perfect for me and loved the quiet cabin... except when the accelerator was pressed hard :biggrin:

So how does the M5 interior measure up? I know, I know... different animals. I am also considering passing the waiting time in a 996TT and I know there are more than a few people who have logged time in that type.

Now, please, keep in mind I'm not asking a "which is better" type questions, but more along the lines of seeing different opinions.

Thanks!
As you probably know, the M5 is not in the USA yet, and thus, I haven't seen one yet. I would imagine the interior would be almost as nice as the 760, if you order the full leather package, which gives you leather on the dash and door panels and alcantra roof liner....:wroom:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't tease me but I just decided to skip on the M5 and picked up an Individual 750Li instead.

I think the M5's interior, with aluminum is nicer than a regular 7, I am never too keen on the grey metallic trims clashing with the wood in the 7. However, if you can get the upgraded Individual Interior, with the piano black trim and very light leather, the 7 is much nicer.

In fact, I find the Individual 7's interior comparable to the Bentley and nicer than the S-class and A8.

I like the 7 as I already have an E55 and do not want two mid-size cars. The Li is so roomy and quiet. Very civilized. I like a few things in the 7 which are not available in the M5 yet:

1. MP3 CD changer
2. phone keypad on the dash
3. comfort closing doors

The iDrive is ok, I just wish there is an easy way to change suspension settings in the 7, the transmission is also a bit annoying I have press too many buttons to downshift.

I even like the auto park feature in traffic. I feel much less stressful driving the 7 enjoying the massaging ventilated seats and a smooth and quiet ride. A neat little limo with A+ interior in my books. The merino leather, oh..

·
Registered
71 Posts
It might be cliché but the character of these 2 cars differ widely. I also drove a 760iL and to be honest I found it quite boring. In an M car though, you' ll find yourself much more excited. M5 can play the role of a limo but 7 series cannot play an M-car.
I saw an M5 in Geneva and the interior is just as good as the 7 series.
I had a drive in an M3 and I was pouring adrenalin!! 760 and M5 are not competitors. I suggest youu get 760 for daily commute and an M6 for fun:) If you want to get just one car, go for the M5, dont bother with 760

birch said:

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TestnDoc said:
As you probably know, the M5 is not in the USA yet, and thus, I haven't seen one yet. I would imagine the interior would be almost as nice as the 760, if you order the full leather package, which gives you leather on the dash and door panels and alcantra roof liner....:wroom:

Hey Doc!~!

You're everywhere!

Bad news is that I can't do an Li. I took the tape measure to the garage and the built in shelves I put up last summer worked great for when I had the M3 and X5, fits the LR3 but not the Li. The 760i would be a tight fit!!

So... I thought I'd consider an M5 in the mix with the other ones we chatted about.

Are you considering an M5, Doc?

·
Registered
24 Posts
birch said:
Hey Doc!~!

You're everywhere!

Bad news is that I can't do an Li. I took the tape measure to the garage and the built in shelves I put up last summer worked great for when I had the M3 and X5, fits the LR3 but not the Li. The 760i would be a tight fit!!

So... I thought I'd consider an M5 in the mix with the other ones we chatted about.

Are you considering an M5, Doc?
Hello,
Yes, I have the #1 spot for the M5 at my BMW dealership!! :haha2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
My wife has been driving a 745Li for about the last year, I think its off the hook. She hates the iDrive but the car is fantastic. No problems in 19K miles, except flat tire and cracked windscreen. Dealer messed up software during oil change/inspection but other than that its been awesome. Great driving car, much more engaging than S-class or A8. Very comfortable quiet and yet its responsive and for its size its relatively quick and agile. I'd buy another one if my wife could deal with iDrive.

·
Registered
537 Posts
the 7 and the X are the only 2 bmw's i would never own out of warranty. and only lease them

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
In D1 mode it might be comfortable, but you can never get a 760i to act a sa M car. completely different cars. I think you are out after a much different car than an M5 if you liek the 760iL. Maybe S55 AMG or similar.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gustav said:
In D1 mode it might be comfortable, but you can never get a 760i to act a sa M car. completely different cars. I think you are out after a much different car than an M5 if you liek the 760iL. Maybe S55 AMG or similar.
For me, I'm in a similar dilemma and think the comparison is a fair one given my circumstances.

I have an '04 A8L and am on the list for the E60 M5 around April of 2007 (lease end for the A8L), but I am still open to a 750/760Li or even the new S8 (if it shows up in time to be considered). These are are ALL OVER the spectrum of 4-door saloons and now that we're expecting our first child, I'm trying to be responsible.

For me, none of these cars would beat my '99 M3 on the track, and that's where I REALLY have my fun! :M5thumbs: So the decision for me is to either get a calmer more responsible car so that I can haul the family around comfortably when we're in my car (wife is getting a Lexus SUV), or to have a car that gives me an adrenalin rush each and every time I'm behind the wheel!

·
Registered
248 Posts
The 7 series interior is much better than the 5 series. You can't compare.... The 7 is very nice ride as well and may be a better ride in Chicago due to its softer suspension. The SMG will also be an issue over time......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gustav,

I see your point, but I'm a Bimmer man at heart. I loved my M3 w/ SMG. That's why I'm thinking the M5 could cover both sides of the the fence between the 7 and an M3.

Or I could be like Doc and have a TT cab in the wings for the "fun" car!!!! kinggf

I am totally enamored with the 760. I'd love to ride in/drive the new M5 when it becomes available before I place an official order.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I've owed both a 745 and 545 and the 5, especially with the increased M luxury features, will do most of what you want out of the 7.

Tom

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
If you need the pace of an M5 but the luxury of a 7, the Alpina B7 is awesome.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yep- its too bad. I would love to have a B7 myself.

Birch, I think you will be pretty happy with the M5 in terms of giving you M car thrills and sedan versatility. The interior materials should be upgraded from the stock 5. For snow driving, you'll want snow tires, but you'd need that with the 7 also. On the flip side, was the 760 the sport model or not? I don't think the sport package makes a big difference, but it might help it a little bit. I did find the 760 I drove to feel not as nimble as the 745s I've driven. If you are into powering out of corners hard then the M5 is for you- as the open diff +DSC the series BMWs use will not give you as much joy as the M variable differential lock. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
royk said:
For me, none of these cars would beat my '99 M3 on the track, and that's where I REALLY have my fun! :M5thumbs: So the decision for me is to either get a calmer more responsible car so that I can haul the family around comfortably when we're in my car (wife is getting a Lexus SUV), or to have a car that gives me an adrenalin rush each and every time I'm behind the wheel!
If you can have 2 cars, get a Lotus Elise/Exige for one of them!

Nothing is as much fun on a track, or on a twisty road...

·
Registered
134 Posts
hythe said:
If you can have 2 cars, get a Lotus Elise/Exige for one of them!

Nothing is as much fun on a track, or on a twisty road...
Agreed! However, with a new baby (our first) on the way, I don't think the Missus will let me entertain the idea of another toy for some time! ouich

·
Registered
722 Posts
royk said:
For me, I'm in a similar dilemma and think the comparison is a fair one given my circumstances.

I have an '04 A8L and am on the list for the E60 M5 around April of 2007 (lease end for the A8L), but I am still open to a 750/760Li or even the new S8 (if it shows up in time to be considered). These are are ALL OVER the spectrum of 4-door saloons and now that we're expecting our first child, I'm trying to be responsible.

It can be responsible and practical to have an adrenaline rush car and a larger, comfortable car in your two car family, as long as both cars are capable of safely carrying everyone. For any number of reasons, one of those two cars can become unavailable for family usage. That means combinations like Lexus/M3 or BMW 7/BMW M5 work just fine. When your children are at the age requiring car seats, you'll need (or want) four doors, probably in both cars. When we had our first child, our two family cars were a Porsche 928 and a Porsche 911. The child seat fit in the back of both, but that car combination didn't last long.

Your family's car needs will evolve over time. It doesn't take much extra luggage to take an infant on a trip with you, but then there's school and car-pooling. Eventually you may be move your child into college out of town. We needed both an SUV and a BMW 740iL for that, but we still kept an extra car for the adrenalin rush.

Richard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well things got a bit easier this weekend. We were out on Friday night and we looked at a 745Li parked on Oak St. Jen said that we were too young for a 7 series :3:

So now it's the M5 or 6. She's a fan of the 911's. We've got an LR3 for moving stuff and future family stuff...

I haven't sat in a 5 or 6 series yet to determine how I fit (6'3" with a long upper body). The M3 I had to shoehorn into. The 911 fits like a glove. :hihi:

Oh to have the means and garage space for 4 cars!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts