BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Pointed out the spots where it's pooling up. Oil fill cap is brand new, put it in last week.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Its probably the Valve Cover Gasket, pretty common that they leak. Looks the same on mine and i know i need to replace it - will do it next winter idle :)
Or maybe the grommet as later suggested :)

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Likely the grommet (search that in DIY sticky), where your lowest arrow is pointing. There are 6 of these in total.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Could also be your oil cap which is a common issue.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
the cap is staring in your face, no?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Likely the grommet (search that in DIY sticky), where your lowest arrow is pointing. There are 6 of these in total.
I agree. I had the same issue. Changed those little rubber donuts and no more leak. Change them one at a time this way no need to remove all of them at ones. Lube the new ones and thy will slide in. Rip the old ones off. Easy and very cheap fix

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is... just like my original post which states I put a brand new one in last week :)

Thanks guys. I'll start with replacing the grommets and if that doesn't work I'll replace the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts

/\ He is right..

Gromets don't really leak. When the rubber wears out you usually see a form of grease (oil and dirt) develop around it. Valve covers leak down not up

Clean everything, drive for a bit and observe.

Reactions: Hdhntr23

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the third time it's a brand new cap :(

I cleaned the area very well after replacing the old cap... as it was leaking but the streaks were on the other side of the cap not where they are now. Unless my brand new cap is leaking it can't be the source.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts

I cleaned the area very well after replacing the old cap... as it was leaking but the streaks were on the other side of the cap not where they are now. Unless my brand new cap is leaking it can't be the source.

You are not gonna make many friends here, if you don't listen to the experts. Just saying...

Reactions: Kautiongsr

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not trying to step on any toes. Are you saying its my oil filler cap even though it's brand new?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll clean the area down again to see if the oil comes back.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

New caps leaking is not unheard of, especially the stock one. There have been several threads in the past that address this. If it is the cap, it should be obvious once the area is decreased and the leak resumes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. Forgive me if I came off rude.. I will make sure the new filler cap isn't causing me the problems.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Take the cap off, clean the oil off the mating surfaces both on the engine side and filler cap side. Put the cap back on. Keep an eye on the location and see if it leaks again, should be fairly obvious if it does. I literally just dealt with this exact issue and this solved it for me.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Clean the area and tie a rag strip around the 'neck' under the oil filler cap. This will absorb any leak from there long enough to find where it's really coming from. If the leak doesn't come back it's your cap.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Honestly, these new oil caps suck. I think mine was original, and i replaced it with a new one from the dealer at the suggestion of someone on m5board. Within a week i saw obvious weeping around the "new" oil cap. Swapped it back to the original and the weeping was gone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts