BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 08' M5 .. and when I approach my car and open the door, I hear what sounds like a motor or servo that makes a brief noise, about 5 seconds long after I open the door. It sounds like it's coming from the engine bay area, but it's hard to tell for sure. It's definitely outside the vehicle, as you can't hear it once inside the car.

If I don't start the car, and just let it sit, when the iDrive and other devices in the car "power down", I hear the noise again. If I touch my key fob, I hear the noise again. Last night I was sitting at a drive-through and I had my window down, while waiting for the cars in front of me to move, I heard the noise again with the car on.

The noise is consistant, happens for like 5 seconds, and like I said, it sounds like a gear, servo, or motor of some sort turning. The best sound I can use to describe it, is it sounds like a seat motor when you are adjusting your seat, but it's coming from inside the engine area.

Anyone else have this sound, and if so, do you know what it is?

For reference I have every option available for the 08' model, minus the sliding sunshades, and it's an SMG.

My first thought was maybe it's the auto-adjusting headlights aligning themselves?

Anyways... if you have this sound, and know what it is, let me know cause it's driving me crazy not knowing where it's coming from.

-F

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Bone is right. That sound is your friend. If one morning you get in the car and didn't hear that sound, then u should be worried:hihi:

·
Registered
649 Posts
If I have ever used the word coiensedence its right now.........I was literaly just about to post that when i read your post.......i have sat there for ever trying to figure out the noise...:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Not VANOS, it is the SMG pump.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I agree with cosmos. Sound is smg pump. However I do have a question for you guys:
What's the clinking noise that occurs intermittently after you shut down?

·
Registered
994 Posts
What's the clinking noise that occurs intermittently after you shut down?
Just the hot parts of the car cooling down.

·
Registered
693 Posts
SMG pump sounds right. I don't think it's the VANOS as the car hasn't even started yet.
You sure it's not the fuel injectors priming themselves??

·
Registered
136 Posts
You sure it's not the fuel injectors priming themselves??
nope...for all I know it could be santa's elves making 500 horses. lol

on a serious note...idk. I just thought vanos is a more something that adjusts after the engine is started. But then again, I could be mistaken.

Some of my other cars make a similar sound too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have noticed that my car does this also... The car will not start until the pump is primed I believe. I have also noticed that the sound starts and stops a couple times when I open the passenger door after I unlock the car is it normal for it to start and stop? It does not do it all the time but has recently started doing it?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
All the above are normal incidents of the sound -- which IS the SMG pump. And like kenny said, son;t worry if you hear it worry if you don't hear it.

Reactions: Barry Lausch

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yah I figured it is the SMG pump also does this on Ferrari and maserati F1 pumps. I was just concerned that it will start and stop sometimes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts