BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any ideas what this irritating 'grinding' like noise is? I've gone to the dealer, but it doesn't do it then. I'll take the video in and show my SA, but am curious if anyone knows what I should be checking.

Thanks.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n1sukZgcLGw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe you need to update Flash or Java or something? There is a YouTube embedded. No matter, here is a link.

M5 noise - YouTube

You might have to put headphones on..

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Marlon,

I'm not an expert and I haven't experienced this one, but if it were me I would be checking:
Exhaust (Does the sound go away at higher revs?)
Boot Lid/Contents. (The glue container for my wheel punctures made a vibrating noise when I got mine).

Otherwise it's not something silly like an object in your garage reverberating is it?

Best of luck. Hope you can find this one. :confused:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Could be your VANOS system.

Pop the hood and listen and see if it's originating from the VANOS components near the front of the engine housing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: robertstrendell

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alan

Hi - 3 years on and I found your video - did you ever get to bottom of what that sound was - did it get worse?
I have same noise on my 2005 M5 E60 - seems to be from top right hand side of engine.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, yes they figured out it was the Vanos Pump. They replaced the Vanos pump, line and solenoid valves. I have this from my notes. I can dig up the service records if you need them.

I hope you get this figured out.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did have a warranty that covered it. I hope you have one too. It was a bit pricey. Worse because a few weeks prior it needed a new oil cooler - though unrelated.

I sold my car a few months before the warranty expired - I love my M4, but do miss the V10. Hope it goes well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts