1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Interesting...I've never seen or heard of this car. Certain is possible given Dinan's well-known S62 Daytona Prototype engine.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
It's not a Daytona Prototype engine. I saw this car in an Atlanta shop and personally crawled under it and inspected it. It is a very nice Dinan S3, but no more. No Dailey dry sump system, none of the other modifications that go along with a Daytona Prototype engine. The gentlemen who owns it was saying the same thing about it then, viz., that it had a Daytona prototype engine in it. We all just shook our heads.

--Peter

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
It's not a Daytona Prototype engine. I saw this car in an Atlanta shop and personally crawled under it and inspected it. It is a very nice Dinan S3, but no more. No Dailey dry sump system, none of the other modifications that go along with a Daytona Prototype engine. The gentlemen who owns it was saying the same thing about it then, viz., that it had a Daytona prototype engine in it. We all just shook our heads.

--Peter
So is the owner just seriously deluded or is he being dishonest? I assume it has an S3 plate on the engine bay...

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yup, S3 plated Serial #6.

Clean car

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
So can someone explain the Z8 that had the Daytona Prototype engine in it. I believe EAG was selling it, how the heck did it fit in there?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This is off of Jalopnik site:

DAYTONA PROTOTYPES ENGINE ELIGIBILITY AND APPROVAL LIST as of January 15, 2013

The following engines have been approved for competition in Daytona Prototypes.
BMW S62-B50 32 valve 5.0L V-8

Bore: 3.701" Stroke: 3.502" Minimum crank weight: 40 lbs Maximum compression ratio: 11:1 Cylinder heads and intake cannot be ported. Intake valve: 1.377" Exhaust valve: 1.200" Piston, rings, pin and connecting rod: 936gm minimum Maximum camshaft lift @ retainer with zero lash: .500" Maximum cam duration: 260° @ .050" lift Induction: 8 individual butterflies @ 1.965" Must use OEM intake manifold base with trumpets as submitted (Dinan # DC763-0003 8.750 length trumpet). Air intake to be sealed to 11 x 9 9/16 hole in top of OE intake manifold. Must use approved air box. Cam profile on file cannot be changed RPM limit: 7000 Maximum fuel pressure 5 bar (72.5 psi)

I found this forums for Z8's that has a DP engine: http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/sale-want...din%92s-warhorse-ii-silver-red-sold-3638.html

Wonder how much those DINAN valve covers were, haha! Wish we could have those CAI boxes like that Z8.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts