·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Why not? Seems like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Why not? Seems like a good deal to me.
Many cars that are at these "motor car" locations are cars bought at auctions with salvaged titles, some sort of damage like flood damage, lemon law car buybacks, etc.

Be very weary when buying from places like these.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Many cars that are at these "motor car" locations are cars bought at auctions with salvaged titles, some sort of damage like flood damage, lemon law car buybacks, etc.

Be very weary when buying from places like these.
Any of those problems will show on carfax anyways. I be more concerned about unreported accidents and the condition of the car

·
Registered
154 Posts
To play devil's advocate, some of the "motorcars" companies have been started by enthusiasts, like members of this board. They know and love fine cars and get flawless examples. Due diligence is needed. Would you buy a car from that BMW dealership that wrecked a board member's car? Sure investigate the car, but the dealer too. San Francisco Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors and search for Jeff's. I did not.

Please note, I have never heard of Jeff's nor the car listed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It looks like a clean car. It's beautiful. Do your homework, check car fax, ask for service history, maybe ppi, and drive the car. If all loom good, buy the car and don't look back.
I just bought an 09 silver gray( identical car to the one you are lookiing at) with 5600 miles for 67,500, so I really believe you are getting a great deal, especially with a low mileage car.
Good luck with your journey.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, Thanks so much for the feedback. I have talked to them over the phone a couple times today and they are pretty firm on the price they are asking. Plus, they are 2500 miles away from me, that will add a few thousand dollars on top of the purchase price since I will have to fly in to look at the car and have the car shipped to the westcoast.
For around 55k, I better get a car from a bmw dealer with certified warranty just for the peace of mind.
I will keep on hunting, and I will post up the pictures of my beast when I finally own one.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Guys, Thanks so much for the feedback. I have talked to them over the phone a couple times today and they are pretty firm on the price they are asking. Plus, they are 2500 miles away from me, that will add a few thousand dollars on top of the purchase price since I will have to fly in to look at the car and have the car shipped to the westcoast.
For around 55k, I better get a car from a bmw dealer with certified warranty just for the peace of mind.
I will keep on hunting, and I will post up the pictures of my beast when I finally own one.

if u need some pointers or tips, u are more than welcome to contact me and maybe we can meet for coffee. I just imported my 06 M5 2 weeks ago and its my 3rd car that I have imported myself. I am located in Richmond, BC:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if u need some pointers or tips, u are more than welcome to contact me and maybe we can meet for coffee. I just imported my 06 M5 2 weeks ago and its my 3rd car that I have imported myself. I am located in Richmond, BC:)
Thanks man! When I find the car, you will for sure hear from me. :hihihi: I live in abbotsford, so it's like a hour away from you, but I am up for a coffee whenever I get to richmond which happens pretty much every week.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am fairly local if you need someone to take a look

Thanks alot for the offer!!! We won't be able to come to an agreement on the price, so I am going to let it pass. I would prefer to buy one from a bmw dealer anyways..

·
Registered
789 Posts
That price cannot be justified. You did the right thing to walk away from it. There are a few dealerships that you can pick one up for around 50K Ceritifed or less. You might not get the lower mileage one but 10K miles won't change the price on what they pay. It is not a collectors car and unless you tend not to drive it why worry about 10K extra miles? You have warranty on the Certified car.

You can see a few that are offering cars between 44K - 56K asking. White is the most expensive of the group for some reason. It's not a rare color maybe not the most popular but definately not rare.

Auction average is 44K on them right now. They don't come around often at auction.

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That price cannot be justified. You did the right thing to walk away from it. There are a few dealerships that you can pick one up for around 50K Ceritifed or less. You might not get the lower mileage one but 10K miles won't change the price on what they pay. It is not a collectors car and unless you tend not to drive it why worry about 10K extra miles? You have warranty on the Certified car.

You can see a few that are offering cars between 44K - 56K asking. White is the most expensive of the group for some reason. It's not a rare color maybe not the most popular but definately not rare.

Auction average is 44K on them right now. They don't come around often at auction.

Good luck.
Thanks! That's pretty much what I thought. I could get a certified for around 50k with a little more mileage; this car will be used as my daily driver anyways as I have a 997 Turbo for weekend just like you mmmmmm . I will probably put on minimum of 25k miles on the car every year, so mileage don't play too big of a factor there as long as it's not too high to start with.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Thanks! That's pretty much what I thought. I could get a certified for around 50k with a little more mileage; this car will be used as my daily driver anyways as I have a 997 Turbo for weekend just like you mmmmmm . I will probably put on minimum of 25k miles on the car every year, so mileage don't play too big of a factor there as long as it's not too high to start with.

u do know that a certified used in the USA, doesnt mean it will carry the warrenty once u get it into Canada right? The only way a certified BMW will be honoured in Canada is that u will have to get a dealer to change out the cluster, climate controls, reprogram the ecu which they will rape u for around 4-5k. Also, any aftermarket extended warrenty purchased in the USA will not be honoured in Canada.

Certified used BMW= useless
Extended warrenty= useless

My best advice is to find a used M5 with a good service history and lower miles, forget about the cerfified crap as its useless to us. Also, make sure u negociate into deal that u get the Vehicle Warrenty Inquiry (VWI) printout from an authorized BMW dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
u do know that a certified used in the USA, doesnt mean it will carry the warrenty once u get it into Canada right? The only way a certified BMW will be honoured in Canada is that u will have to get a dealer to change out the cluster, climate controls, reprogram the ecu which they will rape u for around 4-5k. Also, any aftermarket extended warrenty purchased in the USA will not be honoured in Canada.

Certified used BMW= useless
Extended warrenty= useless

My best advice is to find a used M5 with a good service history and lower miles, forget about the cerfified crap as its useless to us. Also, make sure u negociate into deal that u get the Vehicle Warrenty Inquiry (VWI) printout from an authorized BMW dealer.

Thanks! Yes, I heard that certified warranty don't work here. In my case, it's easier for me to go down to the states to have the warranty work done than head to my nearest dealer in Vancouver. Do you know if the certified warranty still works in the south after I import the car?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Thanks! Yes, I heard that certified warranty don't work here. In my case, it's easier for me to go down to the states to have the warranty work done than head to my nearest dealer in Vancouver. Do you know if the certified warranty still works in the south after I import the car?

as soon as they see a cdn plate on the car, the warrenty is gone. But I have heard that a very few BMW dealers will turn a blind eye on it.

Also u do realized that if u buy a 2007 model that is in service after march of 2007, u will have to pay the eco levy tax of $4000cdn on the M5 right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
as soon as they see a cdn plate on the car, the warrenty is gone. But I have heard that a very few BMW dealers will turn a blind eye on it.

Also u do realized that if u buy a 2007 model that is in service after march of 2007, u will have to pay the eco levy tax of $4000cdn on the M5 right?

Man that's tough. I really wouldn't want to own this car without warranty as I can't afford to have it break down on me.

Yes, I think if the in service date is earlier than March 26, 2007, we save another 4000 ? Do you have any experience with aftermarket warranty in Canada?

Maybe a M3 will be a better choice for me, and no green levy. Just not sure if the interior room is big enough to haul adults around all the time.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Man that's tough. I really wouldn't want to own this car without warranty as I can't afford to have it break down on me.

Yes, I think if the in service date is earlier than March 26, 2007, we save another 4000 ? Do you have any experience with aftermarket warranty in Canada?

Maybe a M3 will be a better choice for me, and no green levy. Just not sure if the interior room is big enough to haul adults around all the time.

there are no aftermarket extended warrenty offered for any BMW M or AMG cars at all. Dont bother with a M3 if u need to drive ppl around in it all the time, its too small.

instead of getting a 08, find yourself a late built 06 or early built 07 that was first registered b4 marh 2007. u will save yourself the 4000bucks of the green levy and another 4000bucks on not getting a 08. Save that 8000bucks and use it for warrenty fundings.

There are plenty of performance BMW shops around town that can do work on these cars that the dealer can. I go to BrianJessel Autohaus as they are all BMW certified techs and can have access to all the equipment from their dealership shop. Also their labour rate is almost 40% off of the BMW dealership. Other shops that might be worthy to go to too will be Miller performance (in your backyard) or Nixon Automotive!

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
bsze - great advice. I know nothing about CDN costs of cars to import. With the sounds of that then its not worth the extras. I would still stick to an 07. There is one I think on here that has been greatly priced at 43K for an 07 with 34K miles on it. Black I think.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sa...k-black-aluminum-6-spd-every-option-sale.html

It's a start. Looks very nice and its 43K OBO.

Good luck.

i would prefer to stick with a 07 also, but i couldnt find one that had a in service date b4 march 2007 since i only wanted interlagos blue with black leather interior fully loaded. So i had to settle for a late built 06 that i found at a bmw dealer with 47k miles, it had all service record at the same dealer and was purchased there by the only owner.

there are not much fees withh importing a car into canada except there are the following to look out for:

1, must have clear title
2, must have recall letter
3, check with each state about tax exempt. California is known to not let out of state buyer drive their new cars in California unless they pay the state tax.
4, must have binder of insurance and temp permit for the drive home.
5, if car was made in 2007 and its in service after march 2007, is it a gas guzziler vehicle (check with eco canada)
6, if car was made outside of north america u will pay an extra 6% duties on top of the 5% gst at the border.
7, when crossing the border, make sure everything is submitted to the US side 72 hours in advance.
8, pay the riv fees and sumit recall info and wait for form 1 to get the car inspected. www.riv.ca
9, get insurance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts