BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys,

im currently in the planning stages of upgrading the sound system.

as per title, sizes for:

front door speakers

rear door speakers

rear shelf speakers

pls correct me if i am wrong, but i believe they are all 5.25'' ...

many thanks,

pasha

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think these are the specs (going from memory so they could be wrong):

front doors: 1.25" tweeters, 5.25" midrange

rear doors: 1.25" tweeters

rear deck: 5.25" midrange

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
M-Audio or vanilla DSP?

Both have 5.25" mid-bass.
I believe both also have 0.75" tweeters, but don't hold me to it. Since they are in a special housing it really doesn't matter because you can't reuse it.

DSP also has front mid-ranges - BSW is the only company that has an appropriate size to fit.

Subs are 2x5.25" DVC's in a ported box for DSP, 2x10" DVC free air for M-Audio.

The critical component is the mid-bass, and those are all 5.25". However, they are easily replaceable with 6.5" if you make a wooden baffle to use in place of the stock plastic boxes.

d-

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The third flavour of M5 stereo available has no DSP and is not M-Audio, like was originally fitted in my car. I believe is wasn't available in the US but was the standard sytem in the UK, with DSP / M Audio as a cost option. It has no sub woofers, just front and rear speakers.

The front speakers are 5.25" woofers in the doors (as doug says, you can get 6.5" speakers in there with some work), a mid range above that and a tweeter at the top near the window. If you take out the mid range it leaves a gap which is perfectly sized for some component speaker treble units - the Focal units I used just popped straight in. I junked the stock tweeter units.

In case you are not aware the speaker level outputs from the stock amplifier are already filtered for the different driver units; they are not full-range.:cheers:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The third flavour of M5 stereo available has no DSP and is not M-Audio, like was originally fitted in my car. I believe is wasn't available in the US but was the standard sytem in the UK, with DSP / M Audio as a cost option. It has no sub woofers, just front and rear speakers.

The front speakers are 5.25" woofers in the doors (as doug says, you can get 6.5" speakers in there with some work), a mid range above that and a tweeter at the top near the window. If you take out the mid range it leaves a gap which is perfectly sized for some component speaker treble units - the Focal units I used just popped straight in. I junked the stock tweeter units.

In case you are not aware the speaker level outputs from the stock amplifier are already filtered for the different driver units; they are not full-range.:cheers:
this is the system i have.

i was put intouch with a very good car audio company today so ive decided to hand over the whole project to them. i was thinking about tackling this with a friend but quickly realised we're way out of our depth.

ill post some pics when the installs complete.

thanks for the input,

pasha

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i was put intouch with a very good car audio company today so ive decided to hand over the whole project to them. i was thinking about tackling this with a friend but quickly realised we're way out of our depth.
That may be a good idea; M5s are not straight forward. Like many things, once you've done it and really know what you are doing, it seems much easier. First time round it can be a nightmare.:1zhelp: At least if it does go wrong, it isn't all on your shoulders. Out of interest, which company is it that is doing the install?

I'd be interested to see pics / hear your thoughts on the system when it is done. In the meantime if you need any assistance, there are wiring diagrams and installation instructions we can point you in the direction of. A few of us have done installs ourselves and doug is becoming the encyclopedia of M5 audio & electronics:cheers:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CA Automotive have been doing the mods to the car and they put me in touch with Andy at ICE Cold in Reading. Andy really seems to know what hes on about. i'm going down to see him next week to finalise the build specs but it will be along the lines of all stock speakers replaced with (probably) JL Audio, and a single JL sub in the back firing through the ski hatch.

ill probably go for a 10'' sub as i dont want to weigh the car down with loads of ICE. JL 10'' is 13lbs compared to 12'' at 30lbs!!

thanks for the heads up re: diagrams and instructions - will let you know what the final build spec is after ive seen Andy

ps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts