BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
It's obvious that you would pass on this one but don't let the clutch issue kill a deal for you. My car needed a clutch before 50k but the rest of it was nearly perfect. Plus, if you find one that needs a clutch just bring it up and I'll put one in for you for at fraction of what a dealer/indy would rip you for.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
That car has been for sale for months. The other thing you should be wary of is "I restore cars as a side business."

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Being that it is at a bmw dealership it has to be in good shape.
Negative. They probably took it on trade and being that the asking price isn't bloated, they likely didn't pay much for it.

Will call this weekend and see if I can get pictures and service history.
Pictures are nice but often don't reveal the real condition. A half decent photogragher can make just about any car look good.

I wonder if I could trust bmw or still need a PPI done somewhere else.
I wouldn't trust the selling dealership to inspect. They will most likely offer as they make a few dollars but an indy knowledgeable in E39's is a better bet. My car was PPI'd at a BMW dealership and I was not impressed with the attention to detail. Missed lots of stuff....

Never bought a car site unseen out of the area and had it shipped. Think it is worth
looking into?
There are several senior board members in the area that might be willing to have a look for you. Investigating Beasts can be fun. I've done it!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
My gosh I feel so stupid with these posts asking for help.
Hey, don't worry about it. Everyone here has gone through the same process at least once to buy their car. And as these cars get older, it just gets all that more difficult to sort through the chaff to find a ... whatever is in the chaff. Kernel? Whatev. :)

Be patient, you'll find your beast.

I would suggest that you post your criteria (colors, miles, etc.) and see if anyone has a suggestion. Lots of people here have nothing better to do than look for cars and give advice, and I'll bet someone can find you something, or knows someone thinking about selling, or may even decide to sell you their car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm currently closing the deal on one in Washington, but there is a 2002 I was considering in Scottsdale, AZ, only about 300 miles from San Diego. The guy's name is Todd and he seems to be pretty on the level. I think it's in the autotrader. It's a private sale. He did some blacking out on the wheels and grill. I'm not overly fond but he likes it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is the mileage and price? I just saw one in Phoenix online at a BMW dealer with just 57K miles for $19,800 but it was beat up a bit and was very dissociated listening to the BS the salesperson told me about their reputation and vigorous pre inspection to find out that the power rear shades are broke, 3 out of 4 rims have rash, big gash on the front bumper, few pixels out and missing bmw badge on the back.

I expect more from a BMW dealer.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
What is the mileage and price? I just saw one in Phoenix online at a BMW dealer with just 57K miles for $19,800 but it was beat up a bit and was very dissociated listening to the BS the salesperson told me about their reputation and vigorous pre inspection to find out that the power rear shades are broke, 3 out of 4 rims have rash, big gash on the front bumper, few pixels out and missing bmw badge on the back.

Yup, looked decent, but, wasnt close to worth the asking price. I wouldnt have paid more than $18OTD for it. Cosmetic issues aplenty...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Uh... why?? They are in the business to make money, not to stand up as an advocate for you as a second hand buyer....

and they make a significant amount of money repairing their vehicles. ///Ms included.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts