BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight adjusters are both broken, anyone in the area have experience with replacing these parts? Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
As long as they are not 2003 headlights, you can bake them open and then replace pretty easily. I used aluminum adjusters when I did mine years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as they are not 2003 headlights, you can bake them open and then replace pretty easily. I used aluminum adjusters when I did mine years ago

They are 2001 if I remember. Any chance you remember the procedure to bake them open and dissemble the headlights to gain access to the adjusters?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Preheat over to 200F, remove ballasts and brackets. There are 1-2 small screws on the back and then bake for 10 minutes. Everything should come apart after that keeping in mind the tabs on the back which hold the lenses and housing together

·
Registered
416 Posts
Recommend upgrading projectors while you have it open

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You make it sound easy, maybe you could help me ;) Also, how long do you bake them for?

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's really easy if you're just replacing the adjusters. I'm happy to help. Bake for 10 minutes to get them apart, and bake for 10 when you're putting them back together. Can take about an hour per side

·
Registered
430 Posts
You can do it without baking [at least I did, because I have a 2003]. There was a youtube video I used ; basically you have to remove the light from the car, remove the balast bracket and a few things.. The adjusters can be wiggled out from the back and then using a series of tape and luck new ones inserted and screwed into place.

Took me about an hour per-side.

If you need help and order the adjusters [I got mine from ebay] I can help you out just PM me.

Youtube Video 'nobake no cut method'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnRPg5o45Ik

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
TurboHugh
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing