BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whoops typo in the posting. Sorry I feel so illiterate. Do want some advice here:

Just spoke to the Sales manager and the car was just traded in. Right now it is going through their BMW inspection before it officially goes out for sale and anything found will be fixed according to them. Next they will take pictures and post hopefully later today but according to them it is in great shape as they usually wholesale cars at this age and not offer them for sale. Next car has no service records since 2004 which is a negative. They will offer a 6 month 6K warranty on the car and it will be valid at any BMW dealership so that is a big plus. He is also looking into what a 2 yr 24K warranty is as I asked and am curious how much it would be.

Lastly the car would be $20K + $489 processing fee + about $800 to ship to Arlington, VA where I am. I have been looking for sometime and seems ones with these miles go for about 25K or so so it seems like it would be a good deal. Once I see the pictures and find out what they did if anything to the car will see how interested I am. Also if they won't budge on the price maybe I can get them to do a 60K service as it has 57K miles?

Would love to hear people thoughts on this deal? I still think I may need to get a PPI done on it somewhere else. I could see being they are a BMW dealer if they missed something that a 3rd party PPI found I would hope they would fix it?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If you SERIOUS about the car- spend the 300 bucks on a plane ticket, see the car in person, work out a deal on the 60k service - THEN take it for a 3rd party PPI (if they don't let you after flying in there is something very wrong and you are only out 300) then drive the car home.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

mkaehly said:
If you SERIOUS about the car- spend the 300 bucks on a plane ticket, see the car in person, work out a deal on the 60k service - THEN take it for a 3rd party PPI (if they don't let you after flying in there is something very wrong and you are only out 300) then drive the car home.
agree 100% on all counts. Buying a car sight unseen is a recipe for disappointment. Pics easily hide flaws.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I would also be willing to help you if you need this car looked at. I know exactly where it is, I can get over there and take some pictures of it probably even a video of it driving (might want to tell me the max RPM I can reach beforehand ;) )

And guys, having a local member check out the car for free real quick to ensure its even WORTH the plane ticket, might be worth it... :dunno:

(That dealership was actually where my car lived most it's life, maybe I should go there and get it's early maintence records! :happybirt)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If someone in the area could check it out first I would greatly appreciate it. Have a voice mail from the dealer as I am about to call to get more info.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would also be willing to help you if you need this car looked at. I know exactly where it is, I can get over there and take some pictures of it probably even a video of it driving (might want to tell me the max RPM I can reach beforehand ;) )

And guys, having a local member check out the car for free real quick to ensure its even WORTH the plane ticket, might be worth it... :dunno:

(That dealership was actually where my car lived most it's life, maybe I should go there and get it's early maintence records! :happybirt)
I will be in Phoenix on business on Wednesday and Thusday (thru Friday morning)... I'll be happy to go drive it too :cheers: ROFL but seriously I'd trust blackxs to check it out. He'll give you the straight story on it, and he's certainly someone I'd trust to recognize a good one from a bad one (considering all of the posts and comments I've seen from him in the past).

I'm not a mechanic just an enthusiast. I could tell you if the paint looks good and whether it handles like mine does if I drove it but little else.

-crds

However I may know a good mechanic in VA (my second cousin) if you like I'll see if he needs another customer... (I guess this depends on whether you have a mechanic you already trust or not).

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone that could take a look would be of great assistance. I just got off the phone with the sales manager who drove the car and he told me the car is a 9 out of a 10. Issues are as follows:

Both rear window shades electric shades don't work.
3 out of the 4 wheels have curb rash
3 minor dents on the car
very minor wear on drivers seat

He said they have onsite the means to fix all of this and says it could be done for about $1000 so something to think about. He is also checking to see if anything was done on the car via their inspection as he did not have that info. I told him I don't expect every small things that needs to be fixed or needs attention to be fixed but want it disclosed. Don't want to buy the car to find out something is wrong or does not work when I get it and that I may want to get my own inspection done somewhere out there.

Does not look like they will budge on the price but we never really got into that as I want to see the pictures and see if they would be willing to fix the items that need attention at their cost.

Once again given I am on the east coast and it seems like still a good deal still very unsure. Will post pictures when I get them.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
You are talking way too much to the sales manager. The more you talk, the less leverage you have... you are telegraphing 'interest' and 'commitment'.

Also, assume everything he says is a lie. First he said 'it has to undergo the BMW inspection and we will fix everything'...now it is 'there are a few things wrong which we can fix, but might cost you $1000 elsewhere'

Do not think that a BMW makes it a safer bet. the 6m warranty is likely some cheap third party plan- it is for sure not a BMW backed warranty.

Member Mitch P. has an 03 with 27k miles he may be trading.... consider that. Posted here somewhere.

Excellent input from other members, have someone look, negotiate hard, then fly out and finalize it. I would not sweat $3,4,5k on price to get the right car.... just me

A

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made it clear I was not committing to anything nor my level of interest till it was checked out somewhere else. Will see where this goes but once again not getting good vibes here.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Ill probably make it out there Monday. I wont tell them im associated with you, Ill go in as an independent party and give it a solid look-over for ya :cheers:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks Blackxs

...I also see in the pictures that a few pixels are out.
Tell them it looks like the dash has a problem (play ignorant about this common issue). Tell them that's a deal breaker; you want to be able to read your dash completely, and ask if there is anything they can do about it. BMWNA gives the dealer a break on this if they fix it as "good will." Otherwise it will cost you $600 or so to fix it right (replace, in other words).

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I don't know the price seams low for a car with less then 60k miles at a dealer. I would be wondering what wrong with it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well they did not tell me about the pixels. I found that out by looking over the pictures so I wonder what a PPI would pick up?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
to the OP BlackXS and I disagree on just about everything when it comes to style and taste but I can tell you I would trust him in a heartbeat to look at a car for me. He knows his stuff when it comes to these cars.

·
Registered
931 Posts
This beasts definitely needs some love:rolleyes: in my opinion the most important thing is to have all the service records.
It doesn't matter which dealership is selling the car, just make sure to do a good PPI.

And isn't it somehow ironic that this guy at a BMW stealership tells you that everything could be fixed for about $1000:ices_angel_g::deal:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I end up getting the car they will be taking care of all the issues I have with it. Just ticks me off that they knew the rear window shades where broke and they choose not to fix it. With that being said what else is did they find they they forgot to mention and did not take care of.

I expect more from a BMW dealership. I definitely will find a place in Phoenix to do a PPI and am not sure how I will handle a PPI? Do I first get figure out what the dealer will sell to me for fixing the know issues then at that point pay for a PPI and tell them unless the PPI find something that will cost me over $1000 I will take the car?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts