BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to meet up with anyone in the Bay Area that has headers installed so that I can experience the sound level first hand.

I'd prefer to hear a car with the RDSport hearders/cats/exhaust set up but any other brands will probably be okay. Trying to determine if I can live with the increased noise level.

TIA

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think the exhaust effects volume level more than headers. I have Evo headers and Dinan exhaust. I have heard Evo headers with Eisenmann race and it was MUCH louder than mine.
The headers increase SPL by probably 3-6 dB ( a guess) but mainly deepen the tone under 3500 RPM.
I hope you get to hear the headers in person, the S85 engine with any headers (SS, RDS, Evo) sounds fantastic. And RD Sport exhausts, like the SS they're modeled after, are not too loud.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input TimK. I certainly hope you're right about the sound only slightly increasing with headers.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Tony
Tim is absolutely correct. Headers def add volume but the vast majority of the sound comes from the mufflers. I heard another M5 at the shop with Evo headers and Meisterschaft touring. Very nice rumble at idle and growl with the throttle, but not super loud by any means (but then again I fo have the Race cans, so I may not be the most reliable source). I'd say expect a 25 percent increase in volume with a noticible pulsing grumble at idle all the way to WOT.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Tony
Tim is absolutely correct. Headers def add volume but the vast majority of the sound comes from the mufflers. I heard another M5 at the shop with Evo headers and Meisterschaft touring. Very nice rumble at idle and growl with the throttle, but not super loud by any means (but then again I fo have the Race cans, so I may not be the most reliable source). I'd say expect a 25 percent increase in volume with a noticible pulsing grumble at idle all the way to WOT.
Agree. You will love the pulsing sound from the headers. But I recommend Headers w/stock midsection1&2 (2nd cats/resonators in place) and whatever aftermarket muffler. The sound will be determined by your aftermarket exahust with a touch of pulsing and rumble sound from the headers.
I've ran straight pipe before and it's so raspy that u can't distinquish your own exhaust note/tone.

GO FOR IT....

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been very tempted. I was trying to prep my wife last night asking her if my exhaust is loud. She said yes and I said it's about to get louder. Her reply was a loud "WHY??" hahahaha

Oh boy.........

So, no one in the Bay Area with headers??

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
You should travel down to LA the weekend of Feb. 9th for the RPi
dyno challenge. There will be several cars with different header
setups you could hear. You could also stop by SP Engineering to
hear the RDsport header setups they have there.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually PM-ed Chris at SP and he didn't know who's M6 that was with the RDSport headers that you saw.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think the exhaust effects volume level more than headers. I have Evo headers and Dinan exhaust. I have heard Evo headers with Eisenmann race and it was MUCH louder than mine.
The headers increase SPL by probably 3-6 dB ( a guess) but mainly deepen the tone under 3500 RPM.
I hope you get to hear the headers in person, the S85 engine with any headers (SS, RDS, Evo) sounds fantastic. And RD Sport exhausts, like the SS they're modeled after, are not too loud.

Totally agree with Tim, aftermarket headers will give a much deeper rumble with pulse tune under 4,000rpm, pass that..floor the throttle and there's the aggressive shriek screaming from mufflers:biggrin:. I've mated evosport header with E-race, all I can say the resonance in the cabin at low rpms is driving me nutsouich. I'm planning to put back my stock headers. If you plan to get the headers be careful in choosing your mufflers, make sure the combination is not too loud for you.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
...I'm planning to put back my stock headers. ...
PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DON'T,

Keep the headers and replace e-race will something mellow such Dinan, AA, or even Arqray.

I have Arqray with Evo Headers and other members said it has F1 type when fly-by but no drone and quiet as stock when idle.

Headers give you hp and more hassle to re-install than changing the muffler.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I actually PM-ed Chris at SP and he didn't know who's M6 that was with the RDSport headers that you saw.
What?!!? Okay, someone is on crack. For some reason I was thinking
that the guy worked there...I was also under the impression that it
was the owner! I wish I could remember folks names. I'm the worst
at that.

It was a Alpine White M6 with ACS Type V wheels. He had the full
RDsport exhaust including headers and ECU tune.

Now I'm very confused. :confused2 I'll PM them and figure out what the
story is.

BTW: Are you sure to sent a PM to SP Engineering...to either
[email protected] or [email protected]? Perhaps you sent a PM to the
wrong person?

Here's the car I am referring to:

http://www.sp-power.com/photogallery/photoinfo.php?id=179&galleryid=4

And sound clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6oKDx4Zf8A

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
HA! I sent a pm to Brav @ SPP. Is that a different company than SP-Power?? His name is Chris and he also has a white M6. He said he's the only one there with an M6.

Man, maybe I'm losing it. Should I PM Ed or Toan?

BTW, I listened to that sound clip and it sounded pretty good. Not too loud. Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
HA! I sent a pm to Brav @ SPP. Is that a different company than SP-Power?? His name is Chris and he also has a white M6. He said he's the only one there with an M6.

Man, maybe I'm losing it. Should I PM Ed or Toan?

BTW, I listened to that sound clip and it sounded pretty good. Not too loud. Hmmm...

LOL! Yeah, Chris is from a different company. Send a PM to Ed
or Toan. I believe the owner's name is Alex.

·
Registered
836 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DON'T,

Keep the headers and replace e-race will something mellow such Dinan, AA, or even Arqray.

I have Arqray with Evo Headers and other members said it has F1 type when fly-by but no drone and quiet as stock when idle.

Headers give you hp and more hassle to re-install than changing the muffler.
I hate to say it but I have to agree with Kenny :hihihi:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts