BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 SMG
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I hope to never use it but I'd rather be ready.

While I think that their price is reasonable considering the fact that if you try to source tire and rim separately plus the cost of tire to rim mounting , I've access to pretty much brand new 165/70-18 tire size which is part of their kit so I need the rim only.
What I can't figure it out is which BMW steel rim part # they've used to in order to get right offset to clear the big brakes while staying with 72.5mm center bore.
I don't think they sell the rim only and it should be avaliable from dealer as long as I know the right part #.
It seems that similar rims run about $100. This one would probably work although hub adapter is needed (74.1mm to 72.5mm), but still not sure if it will clear the big M5 front brakes.
If anyone has the correct part # for the BMW steel rim, I'd really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 SMG
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I had been across this before, ECS listed the S85 M5 in the fitment page. I would call them to confirm if other bigger option is available.
Thank you Platti but I think ECS Tuning wrongly listed the fitting.
My research and Bimmerzone (they claim they tested the setup) show that 18" is a must to clear big front brakes, plus the 17x4 would mean even skinier tire and then you'd have to make sure to find tire size which would keep total diameter at least within 2% to keep the Diff and DSC happy.
Since I already have the correct 165/70-18 tire, I already ordered the 18" wheel from my OP and 74.1mm to 72.56mm hub adapter.
Will report if setup works.

P.S.
Decided to keep the M5 as I got tired of virtual tire kickers.
If no potential buyer could recognize the amount of effort and $$$ to refurbish the M5 and then convert it to proper 6 Speed Manual, it's their loss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts