BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had some questions concerning the stock radio. Is it a normal deck size? Are the connections behind it 'normal'?

Does the OE have NAV built in?

Do you know if it uses the standard MKIII/MKIV BMW nav design?

*IF* the radio is of normal size, I was thinking of swapping it into a E31 along with the NAV. Ideally buying the OE unit from someone who upgraded.

Here is the OE E31 radio (late)

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
The Z8 stereo is unique to the Z8 in terms of the actual unit. Its a MID (multi information display) that does have a nav system incorporated (it uses arrows as theres no room for a map on the monochrome (orange) display). I do not know if it uses standard or not BMW connectors, but I will take a guess and say it probably does. It looks to me to be single DIN size. It does sit back a bit in the dash.

you may wish to visit Andrew Macpherson's excellent website:

http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/

btw- I would not change it- as it is unique to the car. If I was going to do it- I would change the head unit to a better audio quality one than the stock BMW units- which are just OK. Id also replace the speakers and the amps and the cd changer and nav system- basically, Id redo it all if I was going to make changes. But I keep it stock because I think it really fits the Z8.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.