BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Interesting CarFax in that the car did hardly any miles in the first 2 1/2 years. Imported Nov 2001, yet put up for sale and purchased mid 2003 with less than 5000 miles. Not saying it's a red flag, just curious.

BTW - Beautiful looking car and I love the colour combo. Hope its the "one" for you... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Looks very nice. The color combo I would have choosen if I had found any for sale at the time I bought my car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I talked about this car on another thread, I cant find it right now and have to go to work soon. He said he had a friend in ATL take a look at it and there were a few things that didn't seem right about it. I'll try and find the post later so you can see what he said.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Charietto is very nice. Very close to my Royal Red... never get tired of the color. Rare too... the car will get noticed.

Thumbs up.

Dave

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Interesting CarFax in that the car did hardly any miles in the first 2 1/2 years. Imported Nov 2001, yet put up for sale and purchased mid 2003 with less than 5000 miles. Not saying it's a red flag, just curious.
Good catch. Could be a red flag... BMW used some Ms for their drviing school... do a search.

Ask a BMW dealer (ie over on bimmerforums) to run the history based on the VIN. If the warranty ran to 55,000 miles it was a driving school car.

Something fishy that that car sat for 16 months, given how they were selling in 2002.

A

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I came this close || to buying a car in that color combo - it's very unique. The seller and I just couldn't agree on the price.

Keep us posted on this one - I've seen cars at Select Lux (on fleabay) before and I've always been curious about them. Atlanta is a good market because they have no (or very very little) snow so there's no salt, and prices are better than almost anywhere other than Florida. usually.

If I were looking at a car with 68K that was once a performance center vehicle... I'm not sure that it would bother me too much.

a) they fix anything wrong with it
b) most of the damage to those cars occurs to the clutch and tires
c) any problems that it would have you'd think would have shown up by now

Still... if that's the case, it was rode hard and put up wet for many miles, so it's not like it's some kind of virginal garage queen.

best of luck,

Michael

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Do a search for

"copmpleted items" on E-bay.
I saw this car listed there numerous times.
You could get an idea as to how high the bid went, maybe more.

GL

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I Atlanta is a

BAD

market because they have no (or very very little) snow so there's no salt, and prices are better than almost anywhere other than Florida. usually.
best of luck,
Georgia has some unique rules on what can be done with totaled cars and titles... it is one of the more popular markets for title washing and used car dumping... or used to be.

Careful

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The front door rubber on bothsides is torn/worn from getting in and out.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have recently been looking for a car such as this (either Royal Red 2001, or Chiatto Red 02-03 with Caramel.) I had a friend who lives in ATL look at that car. He indicated that it had some underbody damage, quite a bit of wear on the drivers seat, some trim and paint chip issues, and the questionable Carfax. He drives an M5, drove the car, and said it felt flat. Since I'm in SoCal, and the car had no CPO warranty, and an unverifiable background, I chose not to take a risk with it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Azeem,

There is a Lemans Blue/with Blue/Black interior 2001 with 36,000 miles on it, on consignment, at Beverly Hills Motor Cars in San Diego. I looked it over pretty well on Monday. I was down there looking at a 2001 Royal Red they also have on consignment. It looks clean, original, and unmolested. I did not inspect it completely, nor did I drive it, but it did not look like it had any questions or issues. The Royal Red car had major issues, so I walked.

http://www.bhmotorcars.com/inventory.php?make=5

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanx for all the input guys....the following is a report on the car as to what went wrong as far as servicing is concerned. I don't know if I should assume if the clutch is original.

at 4400 mi- brake light failure, fog light failure, tire failure indicator

at 9203 mi- 4ht gear noisy; core credits-automatic via iws (whatever that means)

15,914- first eng. oil service, driink holder does not lock in position

24,841- o2 sensor (b4 cat) permanent malfunction, brake light malfunction.

27,092- o2 sensor again (b4 cat) permanent failure, power steering pump to steering box leak

29,376-brake fluid chng. pads and rotors chngd., wiper rubber insert.

29,938- THIS ONE'S BUGGING ME A LOT....camshaft adjusting unit (vanos) fa diagnosis memory (warn.lamp on)

38,000- electric auxilary fan permanent malfunction, oil sump gasket, top leaking; not opening,

42,000- return line form steering box leak; line oil pump leaking

51,776- drive shaft vibrating

57,932- cat converter/ tip silencer malfunction, blower final stage perm. failure

60,746- navigation cd/dvd road map incorrect/incomplete reading

69,046- cooling fan for electrical equipment failed....

now with all this said and done....are these problems normal for this car is this a patter that you guys see with your cars as well? The warranty on this car expired on 02/20/2006 at 50,000 miles. Thank you all for all your feedback.....just dont want a lemon for myself:wroom:.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thanx for all the input guys....the following is a report on the car as to what went wrong as far as servicing is concerned. I don't know if I should assume if the clutch is original.

at 4400 mi- brake light failure, fog light failure, tire failure indicator

at 9203 mi- 4ht gear noisy; core credits-automatic via iws (whatever that means)

15,914- first eng. oil service, driink holder does not lock in position

24,841- o2 sensor (b4 cat) permanent malfunction, brake light malfunction.

27,092- o2 sensor again (b4 cat) permanent failure, power steering pump to steering box leak

29,376-brake fluid chng. pads and rotors chngd., wiper rubber insert.

29,938- THIS ONE'S BUGGING ME A LOT....camshaft adjusting unit (vanos) fa diagnosis memory (warn.lamp on)

38,000- electric auxilary fan permanent malfunction, oil sump gasket, top leaking; not opening,

42,000- return line form steering box leak; line oil pump leaking

51,776- drive shaft vibrating

57,932- cat converter/ tip silencer malfunction, blower final stage perm. failure

60,746- navigation cd/dvd road map incorrect/incomplete reading

69,046- cooling fan for electrical equipment failed....

now with all this said and done....are these problems normal for this car is this a patter that you guys see with your cars as well? The warranty on this car expired on 02/20/2006 at 50,000 miles. Thank you all for all your feedback.....just dont want a lemon for myself:wroom:.
Dream7861, I assume you got this through BMW? If so you should have more information.

For example code 85990088MP the 1,200 Mile Service and code 85990092, Inspection I. They should be there plus many more.

Maybe you left out all the "85" codes?

When I bought my car the local BMW dealer was able to produce a full list of service codes. I suggest you get the full list if you do not already have it.

Codes can be decoded at www.tmk.com/defect-form

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Think with your brain, not your heart. If your gut tells you that there are some dicey issues or questions, then walk away. There are far too many cars available out there to settle for a lemon.

Me personally, based on what I've already read in this thread, I'd take a walk on this car.

Michael

1 - 19 of 19 Posts