BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

New to the board.

I currently own a 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 with appx 57k miles. It's black on black with a nice finish (I only use good stuff, p21s, zaino etc.). I'm sure all of you m5 enthusiast know of this car, so I won't go into performance numbers etc.

Right now, I'm looking for some 4 door practicality and m5 seem to be the most obvious choice and a used one is about equal value to my 911. If someone on the board is looking for something lighter and sportier, i'm in the NYC area. We can do a trade. Let me know if you want to hook up.

Thanks,

Soon to be m5 Owner. :haha:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don;t have too many pics.. but here is one.
probably go take some more later.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if any m5 owners want to see it or take a drive. just let me know.
better see it in real life than any pictures. i still have yet to get a chance to drive a m5 so i would love to meet.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Any RMS issues? I had mine done before I bought it (1999 C2 Black Black).

I would have to say that the C2 is a fun little car. I would love to have another one if it were in the budget to have it AND the M5.

Here is a picture of mine (sold):

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, nice c2. Mine is all stock, 18" turbo wheels, Porsche in dash cd and I keep the car clean and don't smoke. No RMS issues, I had everything serviced around 4-5000 miles back, might take it in for another service later before I sell it. How do you like your m5 compared to the 911? Ride space/comfort I'm guessing should be better. The only thing I worry about is that I won't be used to driving a big heavy car like the m5, but hey, it’s a 4 door car with a trunk that’s full of practicality. I would probably sell mine for good condition under blue book value, whatever that is. It's not the best c2 out there, but definitely not the worse, so I expect a mid blue book value. Anyone can send me a PM if you want to make me an offer or want to see the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ran a TMV on edmunds, Also mine is 6 speed, power memory seats on both sides, power windows, power sunroof, rear wipers, trip computer… Under clean condition and at current mileage, it comes out to be around 34k. Wasn't expecting it to be that cheap… $34k nowadays, buys you a new 325i? A 911 for the cheapest bimmer, what gives.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yeah I was amazed at the lack of value on the older 996's. The "smaller" motor hurts the value. BUT you can get one cheap and have fun with it.

Overall a great little car. Just no tmych room (as you know).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim W said:
Yeah I was amazed at the lack of value on the older 996's. The "smaller" motor hurts the value. BUT you can get one cheap and have fun with it.

Overall a great little car. Just no tmych room (as you know).
LOL. Its a "smaller" motor.. but the 3.4 still pumps 300 horses. Great acceleration and handles like a dream. take on a m5 anytime! :7:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys,

A drunk driver totalled my M5 about a week ago (see pics). So needless to say I am shopping. I test drove a porsche 911 turbo yesterday and WOW!! What a different feel. I loved it for just all out hauling a s s. Don't get me wrong my M5 was equally as satisfying just in a different way. Kinda like the regular girlfriend vs. the occasional mistress. You get the picture.

Anyway, I was wondering how $$ service was on the porsches. I've found BMW's warranty and service plans to be top notch. Although the, porsche sales guy said the car only needed to be serviced every 20,000 miles, he wouldn't speculate what it would cost.

In the end, I'll probably stick with the M5. I can't justify spending and extra $20k for minimal performance upgrade, less room, and less options...

However, I am still thinkin about it (those twin turbos are etched in the seat of my pant)...

Anyway, any insight would be helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
WOW ... Quite a Mishap, to say the least ! !

How'd it happen ?? Did he broadside you coming in the opposite direction ? ? Or was it a T-Bone ? How much did your insuance company say it would to repair it? My guess is that the original estimate will be around $15k to $18K and by the it's all said an done with the "Infamous" ... Open items ... the final tally should be in the $30K neighborhood.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i still have the car.

For the question on maintenance - i just went to do a minor service for the car at Manhattan Motors (official NYC dealer for Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, rollsetc). Minor service cost me $350 there.

I also did a major service around 5k miles / 1 year ago when I first bought the car. I did that at performance motor sport in NY (extremely reputable NY independent Porsche service center, with owner who worked at Porsche Germany and was also past Porsche Club of America President). Servicing at independent was much cheaper, I remember it was around 6-700 bucks for the major service, as compared to i think around 1200 for the official dealership.

For those that want more power on the c2, there is also a supercharger kit thats now available. You can have TT acceleration but with RWD lightweight thrill. From what I heard, it is quite a blast. www.6speedonline.com is a good forum by the way if you want to learn more about porsches.

How is m5 maintenance? Let me know as I still plan on a buy or trade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
He passed the stop sign and came to a rolling stop into the intersection. I had no time to stop so I tried to pass in front of him and he decided to reaccelerate ( What a bone head!!). So lets call it a moving T-bone.

Insurance company is still looking at it but, I, the dealership, and everyone else I show pictures to expects it to be totalled. With damage to the unibody, frame, and the money I would lose on resale the insurance co. can go F*ck themselves if they try not to total it. They've already had it towed to a salvage yard that specializes in parting cars out so I think its just a formality now...

Oh, BTW, my date bruised her shoulder (probably from the seat belt). That was the only injury. Fire dept. was amazed and said any other car besides a BMW and things probably would have been a lot different...

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
El_Chingon said:
He passed the stop sign and came to a rolling stop into the intersection. I had no time to stop so I tried to pass in front of him and he decided to reaccelerate ( What a bone head!!). So lets call it a moving T-bone.

Insurance company is still looking at it but, I, the dealership, and everyone else I show pictures to expects it to be totalled. With damage to the unibody, frame, and the money I would lose on resale the insurance co. can go F*ck themselves if they try not to total it. They've already had it towed to a salvage yard that specializes in parting cars out so I think its just a formality now...

Oh, BTW, my date bruised her shoulder (probably from the seat belt). That was the only injury. Fire dept. was amazed and said any other car besides a BMW and things probably would have been a lot different...
Glad you and your passenger are OK to say the least. Thank your Beast for that. Always better bent metal than "bent" skin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
that second to last picture is amazing.... rear wheel ripped right out of its socket... simply amazing.... glad you and your date were safe... any idea what the total appraisal will be for that from the insurance company?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts