BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother, who has owned a couple of e39's, recently bought a new e60 545 sport. He says the car feels way too big to him, and much larger than the e39's he's used to. Anyone else heard anything similar? I haven't driven the car yet (we live in different cities), or any other e60, so can't judge for myself.

Anybody have the numbers handy (e.g., wheelbase comparison, total length comparison, etc.)? Thanks!

Mike :cheers:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I drove them both. E60 is little bit longer, but for the rest, no problem. Dunno, they feel similar to me :1:

grtz

·
Registered
546 Posts
Gustav said:
Dont worry, its a great car and surpass the E39 M5 in many areas.

Not all? If so in which areas would you say the E39 is superior? (apart from design, that`s subjective)

Cheers

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm not sure he meant that the the E39 would be superior, more has some things the same as, or relatively close to.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Each generation of BMW gets bigger. My subjective sense is this new 3 series is close in size to the E39 5 and the new 5 is close in size to the E38 7 (not long wheelbase). I have read that the cars get bigger because the manufacturers have data that says people are getting bigger. Ive driven a few E60s and they are bigger than the E39, but they don't feel much bigger.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The E39 has got a noticeable lower centre of gravity and lower seating position than the E60. Place both cars side by side and have a look at the outside mirrors. The outside mirrors of the E39 are positioned well under the E60's. That is one of the reasons I am going for the M6 now.

E39: L/W/H = 4785/1800/1430 Wheelbase = 2830 mm

E60: L/W/H = 4855/1846/1469 Wheelbase = 2889 mm

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Are you sure about the center of gravity on the E60? I am sure you are right about dimensions, but look at the X5 and if you base a judgement on looks, it looks like the X5's CG would be high, yet it is only 4 inches higher than an E39 sedan!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I like the extra interior space in the E60 and I'm sure my family will appreciate it as well :cool2:

·
Registered
457 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Are you sure about the center of gravity on the E60? I am sure you are right about dimensions, but look at the X5 and if you base a judgement on looks, it looks like the X5's CG would be high, yet it is only 4 inches higher than an E39 sedan!
I could not find any figures about centre of gravity proving my claim. But since the sitting position is way higher it must be disadvantageous, especially with people sitting in the car.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I like the extra interior space in the E60 and I'm sure my family will appreciate it as well :cool2:
The E60 M5 is a stunning car! Everytime I see one standing around in my hometown I make a halt and take a closer look at it. The more I see of it the more I like it. It looks almost beautiful to me now!

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
I could not find any figures about centre of gravity proving my claim. But since the sitting position is way higher it must be disadvantageous, especially with people sitting in the car.
I believe the higher seating position, now being marketed by some as "command seating" is due in part to the SUV craze, people like having that commanding view of the road. Getting in the E65 7 series and then into the E38 makes the E38 position feel so low as to be a sports car.

If we talk about any particular vehicle's center of gravity, are we talking about a car with:
a full grown person in each seat
a full tank of gas
a full trunk

I would imagine we are talking about a full tank of gas+ driver.

I don't know what the center of gravity for the E60 is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar to the E39.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If I remember correctly, BMW said that even though the car is larger, its center of gravity was actually lower, due to the materials they use in the car, which places more of the weight lower. So I don't think that the L/W/H measurements mean much in determining the CoG.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am convinced now. :eek:h:

"At BMW, intelligent lightweight engineering is seen as utilising the right material in the right place: the weight-reduced aluminium front end reduces overall weight by around 20 kg. A suitable choice of materials has also facilitated a reduction in weight in other areas. The result is a marked increase in the M5's agility through improved weight distribution and centre of gravity. Thanks to intelligent lightweight design, the M5 has managed to retain the same weight as its predecessor, its unladen weight being 1,755 kg (according to DIN)."

·
Registered
248 Posts
The new 545i does feel much larger than the e39 did. I don't think they should have made the car this large. It feels like driving the 745i.... It lost the nimbleness of the old car. I think they are trying to get the Merc E class buyers... This will be apparent in Europe where the roads tend to be narrow...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Funny, I drove a 545i (non-sport package) back to back with my 530i (sports package) and didn't notice a difference in the way the cars felt except for the obvious power differences.

·
Registered
722 Posts
For me the size of the E39 M5 is just about perfect. It has great practicality, yet it is small enough to feel like a "personal" car. But the E39 is clearly a small car in every dimension but weight. For perspective, the E39 is almost identical in its dimensions to the Honda Accord. For that matter, the slightly larger E60 certainly doesn't look at all like a large car compared to other cars on the road. Not in the USA anyway.

If BMW has made the E60 M5 slightly larger and more practical than the E39, maintained the same weight, and improved the driving dynamics, then bravo. For those who prefer the E39 M5 size, the new 3 Series looks very attractive. If the V-8 M3 were available now, I might have trouble choosing between the M3 and the M5.

Richard

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Richard,
So true on the sizes. I think thats because cars keep getting bigger. Just yesterday I was behind a Toyota Avalon from a few years ago. When it came out I remember thinking this is the biggest Toyota sedan I've ever seen- now it looked small. Even the new 7- when it came out I couldn't believe the mass of the car- now it looks normal. Its all relative. I agree with your assessment of the E39- a nice compromise. I have not lived with an E60 to be able to say if it makes a nice compromise also. But I suspect as time progresses the larger size (and the much larger trunk) will pay dividends for BMW. I will keep my E39 M5 as I consider it a classic.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
With two kids, I have to say I am looking forward to having a bit more rear seat room (my wife has to have her seat forward to give room to one of the kids) and trunk room. Considering the extra size of the car, I am amazed at how the driving dynamics have either stayed the same or improved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts