BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently found out that there was European BMW aftermarket brake upgrade for the E34 M5 which I think may well fit the Z8.

I understand that these are 4 pot Brembo brakes, complete with new discs etc.

Does anyone have any info on these?

·
Registered
899 Posts
You probably mean the Compound brakes of the 1995 Euro M5 then?
345mm discs at the front and 328mm discs at the rear?

Regards,

macfly said:
I've recently found out that there was European BMW aftermarket brake upgrade for the E34 M5 which I think may well fit the Z8.

I understand that these are 4 pot Brembo brakes, complete with new discs etc.

Does anyone have any info on these?

·
2,941 Posts
First off all, these are not Nurburgring disks. The term Nurburgring only applies to the E34 ///M5 3.8 suspension option that includes a stiffer rear swaybar, wider rear tires on wider rear rims and a manual override switch for the EDC system.

The brake disks you mention where fitted as standard for the last model year of the E34 ///M5 (1995).

1: Front: 345*32mm 'floating' brake disks with 4-piston calipers.
2: Rear: 328*28mm 'fixed' brake disks with 2-piston calipers.

The brakes for the European E39 ///M5 are essentially the same, but it's front calipers are two piston only.

More information about the brakes of the 1995 E34 ///M5 can be found by clicking on This Link

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am assuming that this upgrade will fir strait onto a 3.6L single piston front brakes and it does not confuse the ABS sensors nor does it affect the front/rear brake balance.

As I am very intrested in the upgrade fir my '90 3.6 M5

BobZ

·
Registered
337 Posts
bobz said:
I am assuming that this upgrade will fir strait onto a 3.6L single piston front brakes and it does not confuse the ABS sensors nor does it affect the front/rear brake balance.

As I am very intrested in the upgrade fir my '90 3.6 M5

BobZ
This link might help. I have pre-selected the correct model so only the relevant parts are show. Just click on the pictures.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
They bolt right on to the 3.6 M5. Very easy job.

As for the Z8, the ATE 4 pot calilper is very heavy and I believe you would be better off with a lighter, aftermarket upgrade. Are the stock Z8 brakes inadequate? I am surprised given the fact it is not as heavy as the E39 M5.

·
Registered
400 Posts
KKelly said:
They bolt right on to the 3.6 M5. Very easy job.

Does anyone know what are the part numbers for the rear brake upgrade and if they will fit strait on.

Also is there a diffrence in the master cylinder etc?

BobZ

·
Registered
395 Posts
I believe the ate 4 pot calipers were also used on some 7 and 8 series models.....not sure which ones....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts