BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating about a carbon hood with a power dome, but no vents. First problem is, I'm not sure if anyone makes these anymore. Second, I don't think I've read anyone followed up to provided feedback about their purchase. How are people feeling about their carbon hood; is it a pain to fit and functionally inconvenient or was it worth it or not? - thanks

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I'm debating about a carbon hood with a power dome, but no vents. First problem is, I'm not sure if anyone makes these anymore. Second, I don't think I've read anyone followed up to provided feedback about their purchase. How are people feeling about their carbon hood; is it a pain to fit and functionally inconvenient or was it worth it or not? - thanks
There is an ongoing thread about doing a run of carbon fiber hoods. You might want to review and see if that is something you might be interested in (pending price and some sort of proof of quality).

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is an ongoing thread about doing a run of carbon fiber hoods. You might want to review and see if that is something you might be interested in (pending price and some sort of proof of quality).

Regards,
Jerry
Yeah...but that's more of a 21 page thread of gushing "I like / want this and that..." I was hoping for follow-ups of I have this for x months and I like it, or hate it...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had a Vorsteiner double-sided CF vented hood since 2008 and absolutely love it. Beautiful fit. If I had to do it over again, I would go with a lighter single-sided version.

--Peter
thx, single sided is lighter? I thought it was the other way.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I always thought the single-sided didn't have the engine side covering and was just a single sheet of cf on top. Mine has two layers.

--Peter
Single-sided is heavier as the whole panel is not carbon fiber, only the top side is wrapped. Double-sided is really full carbon - lighter and more $$$.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Any concerns of carbon hoods fading in sunlight?

I did mirror covers before and looked great but a few years in sun made them fade bad.

I've seen carbon fiber roofs on some BMWs and they looked great at age.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have had a Vorsteiner double-sided CF vented hood since 2008 and absolutely love it. Beautiful fit. If I had to do it over again, I would go with a lighter single-sided version.

--Peter
I've also had mine (double-sided CF) since 2008 (also belonged to the first GB). No problem to fit. Took abt 1 hour. Love it. Had it painted (looks much better).
You hav to use M3 schocks or recalibrate? the original ones.

Magnus

·
Registered
933 Posts
is there a list of where to buy these in Europe?
Vorsteiner no longer manufactures E39 hoods/bonnets. There have been rumblings of Vorsteiner re-introducing them, but nothing definitive. At present, VIS, Seibon, Schmeidmann and Carbon Creations are the best options for hoods available (probably in that order). I have seen all but the Seibon up close. There is also a board member with a Vorsteiner that has been talking about making a replica of his hood.

Reactions: apetrov1x5

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hi Apetrov,

Take a look at CA Automotive's 'budget' high quality brand of products;

CA: Carbon Fibre Products (ALSO See Styling Section)

I'll most likely be considering having one myself in the near future. Give Roy a call and speak to him about these as when I did, I was happy with the balance between UK availability, pricing and expected quality levels.

They also do other brands CF products too so you do get a good choice !

Cheers, Dennis!

Reactions: apetrov1x5

·
Registered
6,940 Posts

Had to. Sorry......

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Hi Apetrov,

Take a look at CA Automotive's 'budget' high quality brand of products;

CA: Carbon Fibre Products (ALSO See Styling Section)

I'll most likely be considering having one myself in the near future. Give Roy a call and speak to him about these as when I did, I was happy with the balance between UK availability, pricing and expected quality levels.

They also do other brands CF products too so you do get a good choice !

Cheers, Dennis!
Are you thinking of getting this one? Id be interested to see how it fits and looks:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hi SKC!

I already have a unopened 'CF powerdome no vents' item sitting (for a couple years now!) in my E39 goodies shed (hopefully when i open the packaging, it doesn't turn out to be broken !) which originated from somewhere in the far east. If the fitment turns out to be really bad on it, I'll probably sell it off to one of the drift guys and will look for the one you reference above!

Cheers, Dennis!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts