BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would demand references and dyno sheets at this point. I bet most of this is BS hoping to get a car to experiment with.

Tom

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
I would be very careful in chippping my M5. Hartge only lift the speedlimiter, they do not do any additional chipping. What is 10-15 HP worth if the engine blows?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Speaking of chips, does anyone produce a chip for the M3 that reprograms the LC to launch at a higher RPM? This might be one of the modified areas for an M5 chip.

Gustav, you obviously share my skepticism for M5 chips. It would need to come from a tuner/company with an extremely solid reputation and I would need to get a couple of references at this early point.

Tom

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
www.birdsauto.com in the UK are one company I know of doing the chips. There is an article in the latest BMW Car Mag.: www.bmwcarmagazine.com (which also has a great article on a comparison of the B5 Alpina Supercharged V8 - which is very much on a par with the V10!).

The claim an extra 37bhp, which takes it to 544bhp. Torque is up 28lb ft to 412lb ft.

Now, they say it costs GBP 5280.00 - and they use a Motronic management system - is this the standard ECU - I think it is?

In theory there shouldn't be any problems with doing this - obviously you would have to run it on the 98/99 octane fuel all the time. They do it with other models, I don't see why you couldn't do it without problems on the V10.

Birds also do a Big Brake kit for GBP 2820.00

Hartge Wheels GBP 4,935.00 :
9.5 x 21 inch (255/30) - front
10.5 x 21 inch (295/25) - rear
Wheels in the pic. look very much like the Hargte wheels.

All come with a 3 year guarantee.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ROFL @ big brake kit. Have you seen the standard brakes - especially the back ones?

I can't wait to get mine chipped and delimited. The RS6 went straight in to MTM (QSTuning in the UK) and got their chip - 506bhp (funny how it's 1 less than the M5 as standard :D ) and no speed limiter. I drove it for three years and didn't have a single problem!

However I've heard that unlike this chip, after which Audi still happily honoured the warranty, the BMW chip is not accepted by them, and so invalidates the warranty?

Is anyone going to go for it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ivan said:
ROFL @ big brake kit. Have you seen the standard brakes - especially the back ones?

I can't wait to get mine chipped and delimited. The RS6 went straight in to MTM (QSTuning in the UK) and got their chip - 506bhp (funny how it's 1 less than the M5 as standard :D ) and no speed limiter. I drove it for three years and didn't have a single problem!

However I've heard that unlike this chip, after which Audi still happily honoured the warranty, the BMW chip is not accepted by them, and so invalidates the warranty?

Is anyone going to go for it?
Hi Ivan,

I know the M5 is not really a circuit car - but I'm pretty sure you would get fade after a few laps with the standard brakes. It is a heavy car, stopping it from 280km/h constantly would probably end up killing the standard brakes pretty quickly.

I will have mine chipped eventually for sure, but I will wait a while for things to settle and more tuning companies do them (and we have feedback from people on here) and any BMW Warranty issues come about. I would like know for sure if having the speed limit removed will void your warranty from BMW UK - I think this is crazy if it does!

From reading another thread on here (the Aussie delivery one) - there has already been issues with the Oil System (a Pump from what I read), which is a bit of a worry.

Just hoping there are no other warranty issues. My car will only have a 2 year warranty as it is coming in from Germany as a UK Import. So I'll probably leave it for a year before I start fiddling with it.

One thing I don't understand is why the Birds ECU upgrade is so expensive, most chip changes cost under GBP 1000.00 - which includes labour etc.. Might be worth a phonecall.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You're right 4rotor, however big they are - on a track they'll fade after 5 laps tops! Still - they're so **** big :)

The reason a chip is expensive is because the company supplies a replacement ECU. An Audi S3 ecu remap at MTM was 800 pounds. An RS6 ecu remap at the same company took the same amount of time and effort, but cost over 2k. I believe this is because the ECU is so much more powerful and expensive. So I'm guessing that's the reason for the M5's one being so much!

I didn't realise that our cars would only have 2 years of warranty. Where does it say that - I was not informed of this at any point! Mine came from Germany and is a full UK-spec car. When were you told?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ivan said:
You're right 4rotor, however big they are - on a track they'll fade after 5 laps tops! Still - they're so **** big :)

The reason a chip is expensive is because the company supplies a replacement ECU. An Audi S3 ecu remap at MTM was 800 pounds. An RS6 ecu remap at the same company took the same amount of time and effort, but cost over 2k. I believe this is because the ECU is so much more powerful and expensive. So I'm guessing that's the reason for the M5's one being so much!

I didn't realise that our cars would only have 2 years of warranty. Where does it say that - I was not informed of this at any point! Mine came from Germany and is a full UK-spec car. When were you told?
Hi mate,

Yeah - that's why I'm building my track beast ;)

It is my understanding that the ECU on the new M5 is the most advanced ever for any production car ever made. I guess it isn't a simple re-chip like on E39's for example. Must have been a lot of R & D then on this Motronic device they mention.

Anyone know if Motronic is made by Bosch for BMW?

Not sure why I was told 2 years - that is what I was told from my supplier / and the dealer has also stated that. Yours could well be different.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do you know how much it is likely to be to lift the delimiter?

Gustav said:
I would be very careful in chippping my M5. Hartge only lift the speedlimiter, they do not do any additional chipping. What is 10-15 HP worth if the engine blows?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ivan said:
The 3rd year of warranty is not a factory warranty but supplied by BMW UK so if you imported your car it doesnt have it. You can purchase it from a BMW dealer if you wish

·
Registered
559 Posts
In Canada, I would only consider doing modifications after the warranty expires as BMW Canada Inc. does not have any reciprocal warranty arrangement with aftermarket providers such as Dinan or Alpina.

Best regards,

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was told by our dealer that the GPower power increasement is no problem for the m5 engine, because it was built to have 600hp. our bmw dealer says that he would put in the chip and its completely no problem

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
max_m5 said:
I was told by our dealer that the GPower power increasement is no problem for the m5 engine, because it was built to have 600hp. our bmw dealer says that he would put in the chip and its completely no problem
Would that be all German dealers? - do you have any further information on GPower?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts