BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a great track event Saturday and Sunday April 19 and 20th at Buttomwillow Raceway. I am attending Saturday's event wanted to see if anyone else is going or wants to go. See the link below for more info:

http://touringcarclub.net/events/next.aspx

Let me know if someone else is going or wants to go.

In addition I just installed these racing belts from http://www.schrothracing.com/products/Tuning/rallye/rallye-4. I have not used them yet but was in an M3 that had a similar belt installed and it was sweet.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I need this harness for daily driving!! LOL How did it fit in your M6? It obviously eliminates your stock seat belt??

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need this harness for daily driving!! LOL How did it fit in your M6? It obviously eliminates your stock seat belt??
Fits great and no it does not replace stock belts. You just unbuckle the rear portion and put the from section to the side. I will post pics of the install later. Very clean and in no way obscures the stock belt setup.:1:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Fits great and no it does not replace stock belts. You just unbuckle the rear portion and put the from section to the side. I will post pics of the install later. Very clean and in no way obscures the stock belt setup.:1:
My friend, rarely am I serious but I am now.... If you use a helmet and race belts, get a HANS device. They can be had for $700.

Also, you may want to get an anti-submarine belt.

I love you like Russ's sister and don't want to see you get hurt!

Please post the install pics.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My friend, rarely am I serious but I am now.... If you use a helmet and race belts, get a HANS device. They can be had for $700.

I love you like Russ's sister and don't want to see you get hurt!

Please post the install pics.
:1::1:

There something initially funny about this post that doesn't seem as such after rereading. But it made me crack up. Also, the emotion conveyed with the comparison to another's sister showed sincere concern.

Brad, I don't know how an anti-submarine belt works or how you will find any water at Buttonwillow, but I to am concerned, buckle up!
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
:1::1:

There something initially funny about this post that doesn't seem as such after rereading. But it made me crack up. Also, the emotion conveyed with the comparison to another's sister showed sincere concern.

Brad, I don't know how an anti-submarine belt works or how you will find any water at Buttonwillow, but I to am concerned, buckle up!
I know I inject humor in random places but my post was serious. Anti-submarine belts will mean drilling the floorpan.

BTW, I often inject Russ' sister

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I know I inject humor in random places but my post was serious. Anti-submarine belts will mean drilling the floorpan.

T-Bone,

I know!;)

I was just having fun with Brad with dim wit that I manipulated from your post which did inject some humor.:7:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: Ghostryder

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Such a passion for Russ' sister to the point of drilling and injection??:eek:oohhh:

Thx for the concern T Bone, I actually love submarines and would never be anti submarine. Sincerely though this belt is enough for the track driving I do in this car. No competitiion just for fun. When I get my track car put together then I will most certainly go all the way safety devices. Keep up the humor bro and the digs on Russ lots of fun.

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
I really hate to be critical (but then again it's one thing I'm good at... ;))

As a hobby I run a company specializing in professional racing equipment with a turnover of around $500k...so I know a bit about track safety.

Installing racebelts in a stock road car is not such a great idea for a number of reasons.
1) Normally racebelts run through holes in the seats and this isn't possible on stock M5 seats. This means the belts can slip away in the case of an accident.
2) (pending pictures of your installation) the shoulders belts are typically installed right behind the driver's seat or in the rear passengers bench area. This steep angle of the belts will lead to serious back injuries in the case of anything exceeding a minor accident. Ideally you want to use a belt bar directly behind the seat or have a rollcage installed with a belt bar.
3) If you were to use HANS, in the case of an accident it will slide away from under the belts and offer zero protection. Don't use a HANS without properly located racebelts and a rollcage.
4) If the car were to roll the racebelts could hold you in an upright position allowing you nowhere to escape - breaking your neck or back. This is something a regular 3-point belt will allow you to avoid.

Anti-submarine belts should never be installed under the seat rail bolts - so that would mean drilling holes in the floor and carpets...

My advice would be to...
1) enjoy yourself on track with the M5 on street tires and regular 3-point belts
2) if you really enjoy it possibly upgrade to something like Dinan stage 2 suspension, rollbars and brake pads.
3) if you really enjoy that - consider building/buying a specialized track car (E36 M3, Z4M, etc) with a welded rollcage, race harnesses, dedicated tracktires (R-tires, slicks).

My apologies for offering advice unasked for however I can't let a situation slide which could lead to accidents with potentially serious or life-threatening consequences for a boardmembers.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really hate to be critical (but then again it's one thing I'm good at... ;))

As a hobby I run a company specializing in professional racing equipment with a turnover of around $500k...so I know a bit about track safety.

Installing racebelts in a stock road car is not such a great idea for a number of reasons.
1) Normally racebelts run through holes in the seats and this isn't possible on stock M5 seats. This means the belts can slip away in the case of an accident.
2) (pending pictures of your installation) the shoulders belts are typically installed right behind the driver's seat or in the rear passengers bench area. This steep angle of the belts will lead to serious back injuries in the case of anything exceeding a minor accident. Ideally you want to use a belt bar directly behind the seat or have a rollcage installed with a belt bar.
3) If you were to use HANS, in the case of an accident it will slide away from under the belts and offer zero protection. Don't use a HANS without properly located racebelts and a rollcage.
4) If the car were to roll the racebelts could hold you in an upright position allowing you nowhere to escape - breaking your neck or back. This is something a regular 3-point belt will allow you to avoid.

Anti-submarine belts should never be installed under the seat rail bolts - so that would mean drilling holes in the floor and carpets...

My advice would be to...
1) enjoy yourself on track with the M5 on street tires and regular 3-point belts
2) if you really enjoy it possibly upgrade to something like Dinan stage 2 suspension, rollbars and brake pads.
3) if you really enjoy that - consider building/buying a specialized track car (E36 M3, Z4M, etc) with a welded rollcage, race harnesses, dedicated tracktires (R-tires, slicks).

My apologies for offering advice unasked for however I can't let a situation slide which could lead to accidents with potentially serious or life-threatening consequences for a boardmembers.
I welcome all advice since i do not claim to nearly know everything about track safety. However, these belts are made by a well known company that prides itself on safety. The install pics are below. If you read my signiture i have more than a Dinan Stage 2 suspension so I am set there.

I do not race at the track. The events I do are HPDE or Open track intermediate where passing is allowed only in straights with a point by. I feel this is a safer environment to enjoy the performance of my car rather than some canyon road with on coming traffic and unknown surface conditions. Thanks Kees for taking the time to offer your advice. That is what i appreciate most about this board.:)

Here are the install pics. You can use these belts with the stock belts or without.

front belt.JPG

front stock.JPG

rear belts.jpg

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
I welcome all advice since i do not claim to nearly know everything about track safety. However, these belts are made by a well known company that prides itself on safety.
And therein lies the problem. What do you think a belt manufacturer will recommend you purchase... ;)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
And therein lies the problem. What do you think a belt manufacturer will recommend you purchase... ;)
Kees the belt manufacturer did not recommend this my driving instructor did, who has built many a track ca who has this belt in his E46 S2 M3, w/o roll cage. Sure Schroth confirmed fitament. Are you sure you do not need a Sphincter realigment you sure seem a little stuffy.:eek:oohhh: jk.

I appreciate good advice but it seems like you are being a little overly condenseding my fellow enthusiast. Maybe I am misreading you. I will pass your concerns on to my instructor/mechanic. He is Marc Norris with Bavarian Workshop.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I prefer my take on this whole tread better! ouich
cherrsagai

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I prefer my take on this whole tread better! ouich
cherrsagai
Baller I always prefer your take on things. Go go go beer goggles.:eek:

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
Kees the belt manufacturer did not recommend this my driving instructor did, who has built many a track ca who has this belt in his E46 S2 M3, w/o roll cage. Sure Schroth confirmed fitament. Are you sure you do not need a Sphincter realigment you sure seem a little stuffy.:eek:oohhh: jk.

I appreciate good advice but it seems like you are being a little overly condenseding my fellow enthusiast. Maybe I am misreading you. I will pass your concerns on to my instructor/mechanic. He is Marc Norris with Bavarian Workshop.
My apologies - certainly didn't mean to sound condescending. I just have seen a number of track accidents with serious consequences and therefore have pretty strong opinions on using high-powered non-rollcage equipped cars on track.

It really doesn't take much too go wrong to crash heavily. However I appreciate many people aren't in a position to buy a dedicated track car or install a rollcage in their trackcar. And therefore you'll need to find a compromise that works for you.

Your instructor/mechanic specializes in high-performance streetcars, I specialize in on-track safety equipment. You'll probably find our opinions differ.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My apologies - certainly didn't mean to sound condescending. I just have seen a number of track accidents with serious consequences and therefore have pretty strong opinions on using high-powered non-rollcage equipped cars on track.

It really doesn't take much too go wrong to crash heavily. However I appreciate many people aren't in a position to buy a dedicated track car or install a rollcage in their trackcar. And therefore you'll need to find a compromise that works for you.

Your instructor/mechanic specializes in high-performance streetcars, I specialize in on-track safety equipment. You'll probably find our opinions differ.
Thanks for clafifying Kees. I think the danger comes in a rolling the car and being stuck in an upright position without a roll cage. That makes sense and thanks for the warning!:applause:

Reactions: kees

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi deknight, thanks for the pics. Would you mind telling/showing us where the anchor points are for the lap belts? Am considering fitting a different brand and was just curious. Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts