BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone go from e39 m5 to e55 amg? If so did you prefer the m5 after the change. This car is a daily driver. Someone just crashed into my car and it is being totaled. I need to replace it with something, thanks.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Anyone go from e39 m5 to e55 amg? If so did you prefer the m5 after the change. This car is a daily driver. Someone just crashed into my car and it is being totaled. I need to replace it with something, thanks.
My good friend actually has both vehicles that he drives on occasion. He tells me all the time: M5 handles better. E55 pulls like a train, but feels like a boat. That's basically the synopsis of what I gather from my conversations with him. Both tailored to different crowds as they are both different types of beast all in their own.

However, being that this an E39 M5 board, M5 IS indeed the best sports sedan available. ;)

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
OSHPE55 has owned several of both. I'm sure he will chime in.

E55 AMG - FAST AS HELL in a straight line, a slug in the corners. You know it's true Marcus.

E39 M5 - Will get WALKED by a slightly modded E55 AMG. I know this for a fact. I witnessed a moderately modded E55 AMG walk away from an ESS supercharged E39 M5 following Timmayfest on the way to the after hours party.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We traded my wife's 01 M5 for a brand new 06 E55 at the time. The E55 was really fast but was not as fun to drive to me. After getting another E39 M5 recently I made the comment to my wife she was crazy to get rid of hers. She agreed!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I looked at them instead of buying my M5.. what it really came down to for me was the maintenance. Those cars have tons of crap that breaks regularly that is $1000+ to fix. What really made me pass was one of the aftermarket warranty companies canceling contracts on all E55 AMG's. They refunded the money, but that shows how much it cost to keep them up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey all

I just recently moved from a C32 AMG to the E39 M5. The comparison may not be the same but I know a lot about the Mercedes world as i owned my AMG for 7 years, and it was tastefully modified.

Although amg are amazing cars, there are a few down falls of that amg world.

1. They don't hold their value for very long.
2. The super charger thence to start having problems in the later years of the car
3. The full control of the car is computer dependent, where in an M you control the car and it's performance.
4. The deal barker for me was the service aspect of the car. I really was not treated well by the mercedes Benz dealer. To me it felt like they did not stand behind their car after it has been sold.

Although I have only been an owner of the M series for a short period of time and still adjusting to all the changes, I can truly say this is a very strong built car. To add to that the BMW are backwards comparable. Where the Mercedes is not. You can always add anything to a BMW but it becomes very hard to add stuff to the mercedes.

One thing I do miss is that with an Mercedes you get a lot of comfort options. That BMW just have not mastered.

Well that is my 2 cents. Sorry if it was not a good help.

Considering the 2 cars are quite different the way i would describe the 2 cars would be:

AMG: 1st luxury and comfort 2 performance. An amazing car for the family owner that wants to drive nice and comfort with family and friends. But can still has the power to have some fun when you are alone.

///M: 1st performance 2 luxury. This is an amazing car for the ppl that love to drive and just have fun. But if you have a family and what to drive them around and do some running around we have a back seat. It is a very comfortable car but it is an every better performance car.

So at the end of the day it all depends on what you want to do with your car and what category you sit in. You can't go wrong with either car. It all just comes down to what you do on a regular basis.

Hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've got the 03 E39 M5 in the garage and a 02 CLK 55 AMG Cabrio.... my brother in law has a 05 E55 AMG.... I drive the E39 M5 daily. The CLK55, has the coolness factor due to it being so ultra rare (only made a few thousand cabrio and only for the 2002 year in the W208 chassis). The car though is loaded with comforts and luxury however, i find its too low and hard to get in and out of also driving, its fun that its so quick and stock for stock, its exhaust sounds way better than my car did before I did the muffler delete. I find it is very nose heavy and not fun to drive faster than speed limit. My brother in laws E55? its a friggen beast! Stupid fast and very comfortable but its very different to the M5, He loves the car and I am very impressed by it but I wouldn't ever imagine owning one to drive daily mainly because honestly it too is basically like the CLK55 just... bigger. I also cannot stand automatic gearboxes as I can't do my revmatched downshifts and heel-toes that I've gotten so good at doing in the M5 :D.

But in all honest, go out and drive an E55 for an extended period of time if you can and then decide for yourself whether you like it or not and can see yourself driving it daily. Try to do all that without the excited attitude we all possess when we get to play with a new toy though ;).

·
Registered
720 Posts
First off, sorry to hear about your car being totalled. That will ruin a day really quick. It sounds like everyone involved was ok, so that is good. I own a modded e55, and I hate to say it, but if I could only own an e39 m5 or the e55, the e55 would win in a heartbeat. It is fast, comfortable, luxorious, and semi sporty. It has a great exhaust note and I am a big fan of the interior. Things I don't like. I despise the air suspension and I hattteee getting killed on the price of factory and performance parts. We deal with that on the m5 as well, so can't complain too much about that. I would go and drive one and just see if it is the right fit for you. If you fall in love, make sure to buy one with an aftermarket or CPO warranty still in place. If you have any questions, just shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
OSHPE55 has owned several of both. I'm sure he will chime in.

E55 AMG - FAST AS HELL in a straight line, a slug in the corners. You know it's true Marcus.

E39 M5 - Will get WALKED by a slightly modded E55 AMG. I know this for a fact. I witnessed a moderately modded E55 AMG walk away from an ESS supercharged E39 M5 following Timmayfest on the way to the after hours party.
I rode shotgun on a few of those historic highway pulls and came away with major respect for the E55. The swell of torque is something that an E39 will never match and the interior is much more luxurious with more of a vault like feel. But as heavy as an E39 is, the E55 feels much heavier. More than the actual weight difference would suggest. And just for the record, if you have a heart defect do NOT ride with Marcus. Fast E55 + huge balls = :eek:h:.

At the dragstrip I have drive the crap out of my SC'd M5 just to beat the stock E55's. Lightly modded ones own me. They seem to be easy to launch and consistently put down amazing 60' times even on street tires. Sound pretty good too! Nice, but I'd rather row my own. Spirited driving with an automatic seems less than spirited to me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was originally scouting the E55 before I settled on the M5, I just found the thread on Yahoo that really crossed it off the list for me. Check out the list of prices for parts. Makes a new S62 look positively cheap...

Is the e55 AMG reliable? - Yahoo! Answers

<quote>
Here are some examples from a 2004 E55 AMG. These are just the price of parts. No tax, labor, materials etc...

Front Bumper Cover = $1400
Rear Bumper Cover = $1760
Hood = $1380
Headlamps = $1500 each
Headlamp bulb = $206
Mirror glass = $700 (for just the glass!!!)
Radiator = $845
Alternator = $1200
Transmission = $8000
Engine = $68,000 (Don't blow the motor)
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/i…
Source(s):
body shop manager
</quote>

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I was originally scouting the E55 before I settled on the M5, I just found the thread on Yahoo that really crossed it off the list for me. Check out the list of prices for parts. Makes a new S62 look positively cheap...

Is the e55 AMG reliable? - Yahoo! Answers

<quote>
Here are some examples from a 2004 E55 AMG. These are just the price of parts. No tax, labor, materials etc...

Front Bumper Cover = $1400
Rear Bumper Cover = $1760
Hood = $1380
Headlamps = $1500 each
Headlamp bulb = $206
Mirror glass = $700 (for just the glass!!!)
Radiator = $845
Alternator = $1200
Transmission = $8000
Engine = $68,000 (Don't blow the motor)
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/i…
Source(s):
body shop manager
</quote>

look at repair prices for an E39 M5 at a BMW dealer (check retail costs). I think you'll find that they're not that different.

·
Registered
506 Posts
look at repair prices for an E39 M5 at a BMW dealer (check retail costs). I think you'll find that they're not that different.
Really? I'm surprised if they're that high. Remember, these prices are just parts and from a body shop, not a dealer. I know a re-manufactured S62 lists for about 18k, which is a lot less than the 68k they're quoting here. IIRC, I thought the radiator on the E39 was only a few hundred dollars as well. At first glance, it looked like most things were close to 4x the cost for the E55 AMG vs. E39.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Really? I'm surprised if they're that high. Remember, these prices are just parts and from a body shop, not a dealer. I know a re-manufactured S62 lists for about 18k, which is a lot less than the 68k they're quoting here. IIRC, I thought the radiator on the E39 was only a few hundred dollars as well. At first glance, it looked like most things were close to 4x the cost for the E55 AMG vs. E39.

source: REALOEM.com - car 2003 m5

(1) headlight bulb -$212
(1) headlight assy - $1019
(1) bumper with trimming - $700 est (lots of clips and little parts @ $20-60 per)
trans - $4500 (for a manual, benz is for an advanced auto)

i won't say the e55 isn't more expensive; but, the E39 is also ~10 years older.... i think the better comparison is to look at an E60 m5s cost. Hopefully a new E55 would be under warranty and wouldn't be of much concern until that was over.

·
Registered
506 Posts
source: REALOEM.com - car 2003 m5

(1) headlight bulb -$212
(1) headlight assy - $1019
(1) bumper with trimming - $700 est (lots of clips and little parts @ $20-60 per)
trans - $4500 (for a manual, benz is for an advanced auto)

i won't say the e55 isn't more expensive; but, the E39 is also ~10 years older.... i think the better comparison is to look at an E60 m5s cost. Hopefully a new E55 would be under warranty and wouldn't be of much concern until that was over.
Interesting. Per the original thread, this is for a 2004 E55 so the age difference shouldn't be much of a factor, but point taken on the transmission and other parts. The only point of reference I had was the motor, which I knew to be a lot more expensive (granted, the supercharger is going to bump that up significantly).

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
No offense, but as far as driving experience goes its like comparing a car built for a 55 year old and a car built for 35+.

I drove one and although it was fast in a straight line, in turns it felt like a Lexus with may be slightly better suspension.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i almost bought one prior to the M5. the guy ended up trading it into the dealer for some odd reason.

I know that their air suspension when it fails is very expensive to repair but a stock e55 with a chip is a monster...something like 600ft lbs to the wheels?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
One thing I dont think anyone mentioned is that the AMG is an automatic. Yes its SMG but you cant buy one with a true 3rd pedal.

I love the torque and the interior of the AMG but prefer the outside body and overall soul of the E39. The E55 is a sick car SICk but I would keep my E39.

I too have driven with Marcus (see the "no talking on your cell with your wife while driving passenger" rule for Timmayfest) in one of his E55's and all I can say is WOW.

You cant go wrong with either choice but IMHO the E39 wins out because of the intangeables.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts