BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI.

I am going to look at and most possibly buy an Alpina on Friday. If theres' anyone who can get near there on Friday (South Kirby near Doncaster) to check the car out with me it would be great.

I've never seen one up close so don't know what to look out for etc.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Which model?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can't join you but having recently bought a B10 V8s, I would recommend looking at the following ( assuming it is out of warranty )

1) Check that the pixels on the Dashboard LCD computer all work - they regularly go wrong and it is an expensive Alpina part to fix

2) Check to see whether it has the rain sensitive wipers - it's a nice option but not standard fit

3) If it has the raised rear spoiler, this can go rusty around the bolts

4) M5 mirrors are nice to have if it's got them but check to see if the mirror raising mechanism works - this has bust at one stage or another on all 3 E39's I've owned

5) The Climate control buttons break very easily - see if they are alright

6) My old 2000 Alpina had little plastic studs to hold the Alpina carpets in which broke easily - they are not present on my 2002 model so not sure about 2001

7) If it has Parking Distance Control, check that the front and back are working ( get someone to walk in front and behind to see if they beep - if one sensor goes they all seem to stop working and it is an expensive fix )

Don't know much about the oily bits though the 2 people I know who have V8's have never had any major problems....

Good luck

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
And of course, if you can, get one with the extended factory warranty!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts