BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving from the USA to Belgium for work.

I have my 2000 E39 M5. I've posted about it before, etc.

It has an exhaust and an Evolve Chip (Alpha-N Tune.)

Given that I've made some basic fixes (suspension, radiator, etc.) would it pass a Belgian inspection? Would it be worth TRYING to import the car if shipping is only $1000?

Otherwise I must sell my car in the next two weeks.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,243 Posts
I'm also shipping my car from NYC to Antwerp, Belgium or Rotterdam, Netherlands around end of May, beginning of June.

If you want to share container (consolidated).... let's do it.
The shipping is only $1000, but they get you well with port/freight forwarder services on Belgium's side.. I have been quoted between 700 to 800 Euro just for unloading a 20' container. I know that if we ship consolidated, price goes down. Have you found it cheaper without doing Ro-Ro (roll-on, roll-off)?

I have called/emailed 20+ logistics agents/freight forwarders in Europe ... waiting for responses and quotes, I have a plan to elsewhere in Europe, but Belgium seems prohibitive with 800 Euro just for unload...I really want Belgium or Rotterdam.
Let me know..

Oto

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RO/RO seems to be the best option. I was quoted around $1000 from any major US port to Antwerp.

Did you install your rear fog lamps?

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,243 Posts
RO/RO seems to be the best option. I was quoted around $1000 from any major US port to Antwerp.

Did you install your rear fog lamps?

Not yet, planning on doing that when I get there. Idea is to run around w/ California license plates for a bit...

Also do I need a fog lamp in rear if I can just push the blinker to the left and only the left front angel eye and rear left LED tail light strip light turns on when parked? I believe they want a light on rear left that's visible for certain distance, I think the regular tail light light does it.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Adding the OE rear fog light will be compliant to the UNECE Regulation. The US rear marker light, to the best of understanding, is not bright enough but the rear brake light is; also, the rear fog must be red in colour. The Rear fog light can either be double sided or when single sided

"6.11.4.1. In width: if there is only one rear fog-lamp, it shall be on the opposite side of the
median longitudinal plane of the vehicle to the direction of traffic prescribed in
the country of registration, the centre of reference may also be situated on the
median longitudinal plane of the vehicle."

I hope that this is of benefit.

View attachment UNECE Regulation Vehicle lighting r48r6e_14JN10.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts