BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked my car up about 3 weeks ago and asked about paying to extend the scheduled maintenance from the included 36 months to 48. At the time I was told that it was not an option but was in the manual "just in case BMW decided to offer a program"

Just wondering what you hear from our dealer?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Did it when the dealer told me that Inspection 2 usually comes at 38-40K miles and figured to cost $750-900 on M5. Plus extended covers rotors, which will probably have to replaced by then (add to $900 above). I'm generally skeptical of extended warranties (great way for companies to make money), but figured we're being subsidized by 325 and 530 owners on this one. Seemed worth it to me (especially since it's transferrable to the next owner -- yeah like I'd ever sell this car...)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
try this you can buy a extend maintenance any time you want did it for my Jeep
1SourceAutoWarranty.com

[This message has been edited by Mattar (edited 03 November 2000).]

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by Tom M5:
Picked my car up about 3 weeks ago and asked about paying to extend the scheduled maintenance from the included 36 months to 48. At the time I was told that it was not an option but was in the manual "just in case BMW decided to offer a program"

Just wondering what you hear from our dealer?

My dealer offers the extended maintenance contract to 48,000 miles for $499.00. An extended bumper to bumper warranty to 100,000 miles is $1600.00. Call United BMW at 770.476.8800. They own various dealerships nationwide.

------------------

·
Registered
238 Posts
I leased for 36 months/45,000 miles and I did pay "less than $500" for 37-48 months or up to 50,000 miles.

If that helps.

(I still keeping the car though)

[This message has been edited by lokhankin (edited 03 November 2000).]

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
can you get it after the purchase of your car?? that sounds really good though, would get the 100,000 mile. that would be nice to have, and not have to worry about any little issues here and there.

fas

·
Registered
320 Posts
Three Important Considerations when Purchasing Mechanical Breakdown Coverage (according to the Credit Union National Association, Inc.*)

1. What is included? *C.U.N.A.: "Choose a named-exclusion contract over a named-component contract. The first is clear about what isn't covered; the other leaves you guessing and often, unprotected, when a part or system gives out."

For new cars, you would get a named-exclusion contract at your credit union. Auto manufacturers offer this as a "top of the line" product at 2 to 3 times the cost being offered to credit union members. Coverage includes failure of all manufacturers' component parts and assemblies on the entire vehicle except those specifically excluded. Provides coverage on up to 14,000 parts, depending upon the vehicle. The coverage is the broadest available and even includes "normal wear and tear".

2.Who is behind it? *C.U.N.A.: "Find out what insurer backs the policy and call your local library to ask for the company's A.M. Best Rating. A+, A, and A- are excellent. The rating does not evaluate customer service, only the company's stability and how likely it is to be around to pay claims. Also, call the state insurance commissioner and attorney general to find out if there are any complaints against the company."

3. Is there a way out? *C.U.N.A.: "Be sure the policy is cancelable."

Other good, general info on Service Contracts:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/autoserv.htm

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
It always a pleasure to read a sensible and well thought out post. Congrats Bibendum.

Originally posted by Bibendum:
Did it when the dealer told me that Inspection 2 usually comes at 38-40K miles and figured to cost $750-900 on M5. Plus extended covers rotors, which will probably have to replaced by then (add to $900 above). I'm generally skeptical of extended warranties (great way for companies to make money), but figured we're being subsidized by 325 and 530 owners on this one. Seemed worth it to me (especially since it's transferrable to the next owner -- yeah like I'd ever sell this car...)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Ivory, this post is about extending the BMW Full Service Free Maintenance from 36 to 48 months primarily to cover brakes and rotors and possibly the Inspection II. Which I guess is good for those putting an average of 12,000 miles a year. I'm not so sure about lower miles than that though.

Originally posted by ivory1:
Three Important Considerations when Purchasing Mechanical Breakdown Coverage (according to the Credit Union National Association, Inc.*)

[This message has been edited by Jim Dolan (edited 04 November 2000).]

·
Registered
320 Posts
I saw the prior reference to 1SourceAutoWarranty as well as 100,000 mile coverage so it wasn't completely obvious to me that this discussion was limited to BMW's 36-->48 extended warranty -- my apologies...

Originally posted by Jim Dolan:
Ivory, this post is about extending the BMW Full Service Free Maintenance from 36 to 48 months primarily to cover brakes and rotors and possibly the Inspection II.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts