BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 5700 miles on her now, and continue to add 1/2 quart every 500-700 miles. None of my trips are less than 10 miles and rarely do I drive it real hard. I know this was a hot topic months ago and would like some current feedback from you guys.

Jim

·
Registered
765 Posts
it has 12k miles and still have to add some oil every now and then, although not driven too hard

------------------
SL

·
Registered
621 Posts
I must be a lucky owner with respect to oil consumtion. Since owning my car it has hardly used a drop, just a 1/4 or so int the first 1300. May/00 build. 14k miles so far. When I picked up my car I was told by the dealer that the last few they sold were like this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have 10k now......still burn about 1 liter every 2000 miles!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Oil consumption depends on your driving style....there's nothing wrong with driving the car hard, but the engine will burn up a little bit more oil. In our 1200 mile breakin, we had no oil burned because the car was driven nicely with no full throttle, etc. Now that breakin is over, it's time to have a little bit more fun, and we've used about half a quart in 2500 miles.

-Chris

·
Registered
765 Posts
i think oil consumption depends on the engine as well as on the driving style...in my M Roadster with Euro engine, which gets driven rather hard, the oil level hasnt moved down even a millimeter in months, on the scale on the dipstick.
as a matter of fact, check your tailpipes, they shouldnt be black on the inside. If black, it means the car is burning oil, thats how M5's tailpipes are, whereas M Roadster's pipes are covered with light gray matter and the metal can be seen through.

-----------------
SL

[This message has been edited by KnightRider (edited 12 November 2000).]

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
At 5k now, was down .5qt when last I checked, I probably don't check as often as I should but consumption looks to be < 1 qt per 5k miles...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My May 2000 build car is beginning to slow a bit on oil consumption. I burned no oil during the first 1200 mile breakin period - probably because I was babying it! Then after an oil change and little more aggressive driving I used about 1 quart during the next 1500 miles or so. Since then I have am averaging about 1/2 quart per 1500 miles or so... I now have 4500 miles on my car and have not had to add any oil in the last 500 miles since my oil change at 4000 miles.

The verdict is still out! I have heard numerous owners tell of much lower consumption once the car reaches 8000+ miles?.. we will see?

Andy M.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Good points. Unfortunately, every M5 I've seen has black soot on the inside of the tail papes. In fact, BMW had to reprogram my car (an early 10-99 production model) because the initial programming was too rich. It still is to some extent.

Your right, this engine is very different from other designs. It has a lot of racing technology in it (some of which I don't even understand!) and even Spartenburg said oil consumption is normal.

-Chris

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think the black soot is because of a tendency of the DME to run the engine rich on fuel. My car didn't burn oil at all until I started driving it hard; even then, it's used less than 1 liter in 8100 miles.

However, the pipes are black with soot and have been since about the third day I owned it. So, my guess is that the soot is from the fuel/air mixture, not from oil burn.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
8500 km and if I bag on it constantly, I'll go through a quart every 2000-2500 km...similar to M-Enth.

·
Registered
911 Posts
In my experience, during the break-in period I had no need to add oil. Then between the break-in period and 12,000 miles it seemed as if I had to add oil every 700-1000 miles. Now, with a little over 17,000 thrilling miles (I took delivery 1/00) oil consumption has stablized. I have put 3,100 miles on my car since the last time it "requested" oil and so far I've only added 1/2 a liter. All of this with a mix of heavy city driving, highway driving, and the occasional road killing.

ALX

1 - 13 of 13 Posts