1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
mine was installed week after balancing the clutch/flywheel assy - the flywheel had been balanced separately and the assembly required minor material removal to balance -- since the springs have been replaced in the UUC pressure plate there's probably going to be a minor imbalance if you don't balance the assembly

have driven 500 street and 250 track (not very demanding since only 3-4 shift at well-spaced intervals, not the 2-3 shift out of turn 11 at Laguna immediately followed by 3-4 on the uphill straight that kills stock clutches) miles since installation and it feels pretty much like a stock clutch with no issues -- the question of course is what will it be like after a few days at Laguna Sece and 20-30k mi

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you know ahead of time that you would need to have the clutch/pp/flywheel assembly balanced, or did you have to remove it after a vibration problem? Does UUC say that this balancing needs to be done?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i discussed the pressure plate design with UUC and found that it was modified with heavier springs (i don't know what pressure plate it really is - not stock M5 as it doesn't have the auto wear adjustment) and it was implied that the balance could not be guaranteed

Sachs pressure plates have a reputation of always being in balance from the factory, and the UUC pressure plate may be just fine as delivered, but i figured that balancing is relatively cheap insurance

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stever,

Thanks for the info! I assume that they just balance the flywheel and pp together as an assembly?

Have you had any chatter/skipping engagement issues similar to Josh's car? (or does it engage smoothly like a stock unit).

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
635 Posts
What is actually done to balance the clutch and flywheel. What do you mean you removed material?

Regards,

Marion

stever said:
mine was installed week after balancing the clutch/flywheel assy - the flywheel had been balanced separately and the assembly required minor material removal to balance -- since the springs have been replaced in the UUC pressure plate there's probably going to be a minor imbalance if you don't balance the assembly

have driven 500 street and 250 track (not very demanding since only 3-4 shift at well-spaced intervals, not the 2-3 shift out of turn 11 at Laguna immediately followed by 3-4 on the uphill straight that kills stock clutches) miles since installation and it feels pretty much like a stock clutch with no issues -- the question of course is what will it be like after a few days at Laguna Sece and 20-30k mi

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hey I am back, I also am interested if you have any vibration or chatter or if it is as smooth as stock? Josh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts