BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were 4 sets available a few weeks ago. Got one myself. Looks like they're all gone now. Any other member got a set?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Where did you get them from? Turner?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow, that is cheap!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've been eyeing this for the past couple years wanting to retain the EDC function. Let me know how they are!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ordered mine from turner couple weeks ago. Hope to have them installed in a month or so. I’ve been recommended by many to go with coilovers if I want to lower the car. These retain EDC which I really did not want to delete so I’m looking forward to seeing how it rides.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I wanted these but got the b6 they retain edc

Better than stock really happy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Craze, what springs do you have with the b6? I thought about these with the h&r springs I have on now to alleviate my rubbing issue I have now, but most sources are saying the b6 is an OEM replacement that are meant for stock springs. I’ve heard, however, the b6 with stock springs is a much better ride than stock shocks. I’m looking for both ride quality and lowered stance. And I’ll eventually replace the OEM wheels with 20s

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Stock

Lowering car’s results in poor handling at higher speed unless on a track only

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have Eibach springs, no issues with handling at high speeds, car feels planted and stable.
ya - not sure where that statement came from - is that a general statement about lowered cars or specific to the E60 M5? I seriously doubt that the Dinan set-up for example creates any handling issues whatsoever with the car or they would not have released it. Those springs lower the car .75". I've had many many cars with aftermarket springs and all have handled better at all speeds and in all conditions with the penalty being ride quality not stability. FWIW.

·
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Craze had dinan springs that resulted in crappy handling. Just do a search for his thread about them.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Craze had dinan springs that resulted in crappy handling. Just do a search for his thread about them.
found the thread - thanks for mentioning it - good info at least on one persons experience.
I was considering Dinan springs too - seems I would be better off just leaving it stock, which is what I did with my E39 M5 suspension wise.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Ive lowered other car brand and springs and never found lowering springs to be a good solution sorry
Just my experience

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Ive lowered other car brand and springs and never found lowering springs to be a good solution sorry
Just my experience
Well - not without changing the shocks to match anyway - that's the key is getting a balanced spring / shock set-up.
It's easier to do on the E39 M5, but there are less options for shocks with the EDC in the E60.
I am happy to leave my suspension stock actually - I think it handles damn good as is.
And saves mod $ for the the exhaust - because the stock set-up is just a bit too quiet for my taste!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Track or secondary back roads; suspension travel is your friend in keeping car off the bump stops at high speed.
If the dip in the road or track at speed causes crashing the bump stops it will result in an uncontrolled rebound action that causes a spin while cornering

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This track is not kind to cars with poor shock control or limited suspension travel when hitting corner 15 (Faux Rouge) at over 130 mph.
It results in severe compression , an uphill climb to 16 with a severe lofting of the car coming over rise unweighing back end while cornering.
Even Chin shows respect for this track:

"Opened in late 2014, the NCM Motorsports Park is one of the best tracks in the country to open recently. Chin Track Days staff were among the very first drivers to make hot laps at NCM when it opened. We were asked to test and evaluate it's safety infrastructure. With 23 numbered corners on 3.2 miles, it's a long lap, and technically difficult. We like challenging tracks! Rolling elevation changes, high-speed sweepers, complex combinations, challenging slow hairpins, fast straights all combine for a very rewarding lap. Excellent facilities, great safety infrastructure, rental garages, big paved paddock. "

ncm-track-map.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think I’m kind of in the boat with majority of m5 owners that are looking to lower the car for stance more so than track use. In my case, I want a stiffer suspension for the twisty roads, lowered stance because I like that look and relieve my current rubbing issue in the rear (stock shocks with h&r springs) especially when I have rear passengers (My 3 kids) plus stuff in the trunk.

I like the ride height but I rub in the rear. I have been advise by many that coilovers is the better choice for lowering your car without rubbing issues. Seems like these b16’s are the only choice for me since I want to keep edc.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts