BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to convert my 530i grey headliner and sunroof slider to black and I realize the most difficult part of the operation is replacing the sunroof slider cover. From what I understand, you basically have to remove the entire sunroof cassette which means realigning the sunroof afterwards adding hours of labor and potential headache just for that part (headliner can be removed without removing the glass from some sources I've read). My sunroof works perfectly so I'd rather not break it upon the complex reinstallation so I'm wondering if anyone knows if a simple dye of the sunroof cover could work in my favor. I'd remove the sunroof, tape nearby objects to prevent over spray, shield my seats and then just paint the damn thing, let it dry and then replace the headliner with a black one. Do dyes get that crusty feeling afterwards? Do dyes last? Do you think that this method would save me time or should I just suck it up and replace it the "correct" way?

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Removal of the sunroof is necessary as the screws securing the headliner to the roof are under it along the perimeter of the sunroof. The sliding cover is fairly easy to remove once the sunroof is out of their way. Just 2 torx per side to separate from sliders on each side. Slides don't need to be removed.

If the sunroof is operating properly, removal of the sunroof and headliner wont alter the positioning of the main sliding bracket (rear one attached to the cable), so it shouldn't mess up its operation, or need too much adjustment post reinstall. Just adjustment of sunroof on top of said back bracket and front should slide right back in.

Black alcantara can be purchased for fairly cheap and glued onto sliding shade just like the grey one had been. Removal of old gray one is your choice. You can add the black one on top of you're lazy.

4 beer job for first time try, if you're already familiar with how it operates. Good luck.

·
Banned
6 Posts
It's hard to state. On one hand, a precarious rooftop is less inclined to gather leaves and different garbage that hold dampness against the shingles and welcome the development of greenery and green growth. Then again, that equivalent rooftop in an unshaded territory looking due south will take the full brunt of the sun, which is challenging for any rooftop.
snaptube vidmate

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you’re dropping the headliner anyhow there’s really no point in trying to take a shortcut as Wentext wisely pointed out. Unless you’re a professional upholsterer I think you’d be disappointed in the result anyhow.

I’m not sure of what headliner you are installing and if you are sourcing used and or new parts, but something to watch out for is that the new Alcantara sunroof shades from BMW are a different texture from the original ones, even though the dealer parts diagram says it’s the same. I got a new one and had to return it, luckily Clemster had a nice one from an ‘02 M5 for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You can remove the sunroof cover without removing the headliner. Just remove the sunroof glass itself and then the slider comes out pretty easily. SEe this video:
. The alcantara on my slider was starting to peal off, so I bought some new foam-backed alcantara and replaced it. Looks brand new, can't tell there was anything wrong with it. Even if you are taking out the headliner, you don't have to take out the entire sunroof cassette to the to the sunroof slider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts