BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning my second vacation in the last 15 years and I'm thinking of running Route 66 from Chicago to New Mexico. Once in NM I'm thinking about checking out the Grand Canyon and using that area as a base camp for a few days to run some twisty mountain roads and see some great scenery. Will decide the route back to Michigan based on time and mood. This will be a two week trip and the only rule will be no highways.

I'm not too worried about reliability issues. It's a 2008 6 MT with 57k and I will have replaced the rod bearings before the trip and will disassemble the throttle actuators and rebuild if necessary as well. I more worried about that fact that this car is my baby and I may not enjoy myself every time it's parked and out of my site for more 2 minutes.

Anyone else run Route 66, and am I over protective about my M? I would also appreciate any suggestions of "Must See" points of interest along the way and in the area of the southern rim of the Grand Canyon. "Must Drive" roads would help a lot too.

If you live along the route or in the area of NM that I will be in and would like to hook up for dinner or something that would be cool too.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a good friend who did a very similar ride last year in his ISF and loved it!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Rt 66 is very boring to drive....unless you own a Harley and are cruising with your buds or just enjoy driving through farmland. Much of the drive is interstate and not local roads. You won't have much chance to open it up and enjoy twisties taking old 66.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts