BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was speaking to MIJ performance today with regards to muffler delete and they advised they can do the muffler delete on the car for £295 but also mentioned that for £115 I could get the Y pipe/center box removed.

Has anyone had this done, what is it all about? They reckon it sounds really good and you retain the stock back boxes/mufflers.

Cheers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Resonnator Delete you mean? There are lots of threads on it here.
To be honest I'm not sure as the word resonator was not mentioned, all I want is a bit more of a growl at higher revs and no additional drone in the cabin.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Search for the resonnator delete/muffler delete threads. They've got all the info one could ever want on the subject.
I have read the info but still none the wiser if I will achieve the sound I'm after! I might just give up on this as getting a lot of mixed reactions about muffler delete from some tuning companies.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deleting the mufflers, but leaving the resonnator should make the car pretty loud. It shouldnt drone though. Deleting the resonnator but keeping the mufflers will not be as loud, but will drone some. This is the best I can remember. Best bet is to get a set of used aftermarket back boxes and leave the resonator in place.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I did the resonator delete and kept the stock mufflers for a few months. It sounded nice down low and in the mid-range but sounded no different up top.

Reactions: harry d

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'd go with the muffler delete and then decide if you want to change/remove the mid-pipe/resonator.

Y pipe? They do know the pipe configuration of the M5 right?

·
Registered
832 Posts
JC, don't get me started. hahaha.
But no, it's dry sump. That's how they get the turbo to work.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd go with the muffler delete and then decide if you want to change/remove the mid-pipe/resonator.

Y pipe? They do know the pipe configuration of the M5 right?
I hope they know the configuration of the M5 exhaust..!!! :3:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have heard without resonators and its LOULD....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have heard without resonators and its LOULD....
Hi Andy,

The chap I spoke to at MIJ reckons doing away with the back boxes/mufflers and having a straight pipe to the resonator will sound louder than removing resonator and keeping the standard mufflers on - just want some clarification really on this..??

Spoke to someone else yesterday also and they said the muffler delete sounds very 'hollow' and is loud pretty much all the time hence my search for the sound i'm after.

I want the M5 to sound like an exotic car, as in how the Ferrari 355 sounds when it's pushed - V8 wailing sound when in high rpms..!!!

I think what I want i'm not going to be able to replicate on the car, probably have to make do with settling on a 355 now instead..!!! :3:

Also, as i'm not going to hang onto the car for too long, not sure if this mod will be appreciated by all when it comes to selling time - don't want to spend a fortune and then the sound is too 'boy racer' for people.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Why don't you do a search because there are a ton of threads with video/audio of different exhaust setups consisting of muffler deletes, resonator deletes, different aftermarket mufflers.....you name it. You should be able to find the sound you are looking for by doing simple searching.

My opinion is that muffler delete will be on the loud side and an aftermarket muffler will give that extra sound you want but not be too loud.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why don't you do a search because there are a ton of threads with video/audio of different exhaust setups consisting of muffler deletes, resonator deletes, different aftermarket mufflers.....you name it. You should be able to find the sound you are looking for by doing simple searching.

My opinion is that muffler delete will be on the loud side and an aftermarket muffler will give that extra sound you want but not be too loud.
As for the search on the different configurations I have done so till the early hours, but none of the setups give the sound I would like - I guess there has to be compromise my concern is getting sport back boxes may cause a drone - so forget it I think I will just clean the tips of my exhaust up so it looks shiny and leave it at that.

Here are some pics of the exhaust as it is at the moment, yes tell me about it looks rather bad...!!! When I had my E55 AMG I just used some tcut on the exhaust tips and it came out sparkling, doesn't appear to work on these though - how do I clean these and make them shine again..?? :1zhelp:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Did you search for audio of Tubi, Eisenmann, Supersprint, and Kelleners exhausts? Just a few that sound good.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you search for audio of Tubi, Eisenmann, Supersprint, and Kelleners exhausts? Just a few that sound good.
I spoke to Sal from Evolve and he advised that the Eisenmann is a good setup but might give me too much drone which has put me off a little.

I would like to clean up my stock exhaust in the mean time while I decide, any cleaning and polishing tips for me (no pun intented..!!!)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just reading your bit about the 355, you will never get an M5 to sound like that, they are just totally different beast

Its a shame your not closer to me, there is no hollowness to a good straight pipes install.

Autosol works wonders on the std exhaust

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just reading your bit about the 355, you will never get an M5 to sound like that, they are just totally different beast

Its a shame your not closer to me, there is no hollowness to a good straight pipes install.

Autosol works wonders on the std exhaust
I might have to arrange a little trip down your way soon then...!!! I guess that's the only way I will know for certain if that is the sound I want.

Cheers Andy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts