BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having tint done on my 02 Imola M5 next Wednesday. I was thinking about 35% for a long time, but I am beginning to think that a little darker would just look better on Imola red. Anyone else seen Imola with 20% tint? I will do a before and after next week.

Thanks, Steve

Here is a link to my car with stock tint setup.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54939

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've got 20% on my 01 carbon black and 35% on by jet black e36, although I guess youre not looking for tint on black cars. Just one thing to keep in mind, check your state laws... I'm in Atlanta and sadly I got pulled over last weekend in the beast and was given a citation for my tint being too dark :crying: .

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Don't do it. Not for any reason other than it is illegal. You are in the Denver area as am I. In the past 6 months I was pulled over TWICE for the tint on my Porsche. It was 20 as well. I finally just replaced it with the correct tint. There a few A-Hole cops that are picking on sports cars. Thing is one sits there shooting speeders near my nieghborhood. He was not touching any of the pickup trucks with black limo tint etc. but pulled me over and I have seen him with others pulled over.

Oh, and my Porsche was red. Stuck out just as much as your M5 will.

Just my.02

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Don't you guys have a problem seeing at night when changing lanes at speed in traffic?

I've always wondered how much of an issue this is....

A

·
Registered
554 Posts
Although 20's would look great on the car, legal difficulties would have me think twice before I install them. If I were you, I'd get street legal tints.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, OK, Are some 35% tints darker than others?

I know that question would be stupid if all 35% tints were the same but, as so many things in life, they are probably not. Does anyone have an opinion on a particular brand of tint that is "darker" or blacker than others? My priorities for the purchase is definitely "the look" first followed by heat block, UV block and radar allowance next.

I do not like the "look" of the metallic or "mirror" type tints.

Thanks again, Steve

·
Registered
214 Posts
Steve-

I had the 35% on mine, it had the Caramel interior and it looked great. I think 20% with the black interior would be waayyy to dark. Even bigger issue than the "legality" of it would be appearance. I think my pic is still there. Feel free to have a look.

KCD

sarends said:
I am having tint done on my 02 Imola M5 next Wednesday. I was thinking about 35% for a long time, but I am beginning to think that a little darker would just look better on Imola red. Anyone else seen Imola with 20% tint? I will do a before and after next week.

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
612 Posts
I also would be careful about going too dark. Not only is there the legality issue, there is the safety issue from your standpoint and from others. If the windows are too dark, pedistrians and other drivers can't see if you've seen them when they are crossing. (Even if I have the right of way, I always want to see that the other driver has seen me.) It is very uncomfortable to not be able to see the other driver.

The car may look cool; but for me, makes the owner very UNcool.
Just my opinion.
:byee55amg

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think 20% would look great, but if you are going to have issues with the Law I would avoid the hassle, I went with 30% up front and 20% in the back and I like it, no real discernable contrast or anything, Josh

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Is 20% also known as 15% by different companies? :confused:
In any event, I have 15% tint on my Imola Red M5 and have been very happy with it. Even in NYC where 35% is the legal limit, police seldom pull you over from my experiences. With 15%, day time and night time driving has not been an issue for me. Also, with dark interiors, you can get away with 35% because it effectly looks like 15% tint. Whether you choose 35% or 15% tint, I think you should keep it the same all around. And lastly, find a tinter that has experience with the matrix around the outside edge of the rear window. Most tinters complain that its a pain in the butt to tint over. But those who have much experience use a tried and true technique and get excellent results as I got. :cool:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I hear ya. I have had 20% on quite a few of my cars but my REAL WORLD experience here in the Denver area is that there are a few jerks enforcing it. Funny thing is my tint guy asked to see my ticket and sure as **** all the copies he had were the same guy.

Steve, do what you want and yes 20% looks great on the Imola M5. That is what I had on mine (as I stated in my PM to you)

Stay cool

canysmc said:
Is 20% also known as 15% by different companies? :confused:
In any event, I have 15% tint on my Imola Red M5 and have been very happy with it. Even in NYC where 35% is the legal limit, police seldom pull you over from my experiences. With 15%, day time and night time driving has not been an issue for me. Also, with dark interiors, you can get away with 35% because it effectly looks like 15% tint. Whether you choose 35% or 15% tint, I think you should keep it the same all around. And lastly, find a tinter that has experience with the matrix around the outside edge of the rear window. Most tinters complain that its a pain in the butt to tint over. But those who have much experience use a tried and true technique and get excellent results and I got. :cool:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Re: OK, OK, Are some 35% tints darker than others?

sarends said:
I know that question would be stupid if all 35% tints were the same but, as so many things in life, they are probably not. Does anyone have an opinion on a particular brand of tint that is "darker" or blacker than others? My priorities for the purchase is definitely "the look" first followed by heat block, UV block and radar allowance next.

I do not like the "look" of the metallic or "mirror" type tints.

Thanks again, Steve
I use LLUMAR film, it's a great quality product IMHO, and I have never had a problem with bubbles, peeling or cracking.
BTW metallic or ceramic tint with metallic in it will interfere with radio,nav,and phone reception.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts