BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the valve cover gasket on their M5? I have some oil collected on both sides in the spark plug recessed area. Per this board, the claim is that the valve covers are leaking. As I am a DIY, I want to do this myself. I have the Bentley E39 book and on the 4.4 it seems faily easy although it doesn't really give great instructions. Looking for someone who may have done it themselves and can provide some tips. The car is still under warrantee, but I doubt that the gaskets are covered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just had my level 2 done at a local shop, they noticed the same thing, called the dealer (mine is cpo w/60K) and they said they would fix under warantee.

Taking it in on the 20th so we will see.

JohnL said:
Has anyone replaced the valve cover gasket on their M5? I have some oil collected on both sides in the spark plug recessed area. Per this board, the claim is that the valve covers are leaking. As I am a DIY, I want to do this myself. I have the Bentley E39 book and on the 4.4 it seems faily easy although it doesn't really give great instructions. Looking for someone who may have done it themselves and can provide some tips. The car is still under warrantee, but I doubt that the gaskets are covered.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
JohnL said:
If you still have warranty coverage, you might investigate whether your valve cover gaskets are covered. I would consult the BMW dealer AND BMWNA. The gaskets should not be failing already. Be advised that crankcase breather system malfunctions are causing gaskets to prematurely fail on some recent BMW V8 cars & SUV's. In these cases, the breather needs fixed before looking into gaskets.

My guess is the M5 gasket job is a lot different than 540i. The valve cover gasket tech tips are for older, simpler pre-Vanos cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fc_celtic_fan said:
I just had my level 2 done at a local shop, they noticed the same thing, called the dealer (mine is cpo w/60K) and they said they would fix under warantee.

Taking it in on the 20th so we will see.
Thanks. Email me ([email protected]) with the results. Mine is CPO also.

·
10,445 Posts
someone did post a diy writeup of this a while back, might be worth doing a search. then again, if you're under warranty, let them fix it... cpo does cover oil leaks, and of course the original new car warranty would too, if you're still covered. I remember that you need to get the plenum off for clearance, but after that, it's just remove and reinstall.
Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
The process to replace the VC gaskets is very straightforward. Certainly if you can have BMW pick up the tab by all means however if you find yourself having to pull the tools out I will gladly walk you through it. A small assortment of tools, a hot or cold drink, a couple hours and your gal will be fit as a fiddle.

It looks like a more difficult project than it is....... on a scale of 1-10 I would place this as a 4.......... average mechanic with basic tools will perform this task just fine.

Take care.

Shadowman

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shadowman said:
The process to replace the VC gaskets is very straightforward. Certainly if you can have BMW pick up the tab by all means however if you find yourself having to pull the tools out I will gladly walk you through it. A small assortment of tools, a hot or cold drink, a couple hours and your gal will be fit as a fiddle.

It looks like a more difficult project than it is....... on a scale of 1-10 I would place this as a 4.......... average mechanic with basic tools will perform this task just fine.

Take care.

Shadowman
Shadowman,

Thanks for the offer. I've changed many VC gaskets myself, just looking to make sure that BMW hasn't done something to make this harder than it should be. I'll probably check with the dealer and if they don't cover it, I'll do it myself and probably send you an email for tips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts