BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be worthwhile to carry a spare or even one of those temporary spares (donut), just to avoid getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a can of fix-o-flat.

·
10,455 Posts
so far, i don't think anyone has found a temp spare that will work on the M5. I do have an extra front wheel and tire, jack and lug wrench that I rarely carry, if i'll be traveling a decent distance from home. Takes up a pretty good amount of trunk space though.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I had stuffed a tyre plug kit and one of those spare air bottles for nails.
This was the get home mode fix, never used it but have with other cars.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
6spd said:
I had stuffed a tyre plug kit and one of those spare air bottles for nails.
This was the get home mode fix, never used it but have with other cars.
Better add a spare valve stem, no amount of fix a flat will keep you going if the valve stem craps out!
Regards,
Jerry

B

·
0 Posts
I carry a spare Dinan wheel. I haven't found a good small donut spare that will work on the M5, but even that would take quite a bit of trunk space.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I always have my spare (stock front rim, uni-directional tire), Pep Boy's small jack, breaker bar with socket. I have it tied down in the trunk and yes it does take up space. I also carry an old blanket so I can cover the back seat and put big stuff there.

I once cut a corner too close and ripped a slice out of the sidewall. No plug or Fix-a-Flat would work here. But I had my spare! In less than five minutes I was back on the road. No waiting for what, a tow! LOL not to mention the inconvienience.

Piece of Mind :D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I carry a used front wheel with a cheap Kumho tire, a E39 jack, factory lug wrench and a breaker bar. I keep the tire in a black vinal tire cover and strap it in with a motorcycle tie-down. Yes, it takes up room, and yes it adds 50 lbs of weight, but as mr_bock said, the "wait" for a tow truck could be hours, assuming you are able to get to a phone to begin with to make the call. I think everything cost me about $400, not cheap, but worth the piece of mind to me.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Wilkie said:
If anyone comes up with a space-saver type spare for the Beast, I would be the first in line to buy one.
Does BMW even have any space saver spare tires? If so, what wheel size and center bore. Need an inflated tire size around 25.6 inches. I assume 16 or 17 inch wheel will work if the right size tire can be mounted.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts