·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a couple M5's on Carmax.

And I was wondering, if anyone bought their car from
Carmax. Or any car for that matter??
They seemed to be reasonably priced.
Also Carmax offers a extended warranty also.

So i was wondering how it is buying from carmax
and dealing with their warranties..

Thanks for any insight.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
Found a couple M5's on Carmax.

And I was wondering, if anyone bought their car from
Carmax. Or any car for that matter??
They seemed to be reasonably priced.
Also Carmax offers a extended warranty also.

So i was wondering how it is buying from carmax
and dealing with their warranties..

Thanks for any insight.:thumbsup:
I don't see any problems with buying from Carmax as opposed to any other dealership. Carmax seems to do a really good job of insepcting the vehicles they purchase for resale.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I looked at CarMax M5's before buying my 2000 M5 from a local used car dealer. CarMax vehicles are hit or miss. If looking at one out of town, ensure you list many details for the representative to look for in their 'walk around' process, like paint condition, dents, interior wear, etc. I was lucky to find a salesperson who gave me honest answers about one I was interested in that had a lot of exterior sun damage and interior wear. Also, CarMax rarely has any service records available since they throw them out when anyone sells their vehicle to CarMax. The CarMax warranty is decent since it is exclusionary, and they usually send all warranty work to the local BMW dealer instead of their own shops. If looking at a newer M5 at CarMax, I would highly recommend calling BMWUSA with the VIN to see if it is still under manufacturer or CPO warranty, since CarMax doesn't have this information. In the end, since the M5 is a very 'tempermental' car with potential high-warranty costs, I decided to stick to local dealers since I could get more information.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
As stated before get the VIN and run a check thru your local BMW dealer. I would suggest going to the dealer and asking nicely. If the vehicle was serviced at all thru BMW they will have the info and codes. I wonder who does their certified work??? I wouldn't want some guy at carmax screwing around with any part of my car.
Truth is you can get riped anywhere, soooooo just move slowly, test drive, check paint panels, see if it is CPO'd thru BMW, what year is the car??

:typing:Anyway, I wish you the best in your search!! :cheers:

·
Registered
439 Posts
back at christmas time i almost pulled the trigger on a 2003 w/8k miles. i had a deposit on it and approved financing.. it was at the laurel location.
i was trying to negotiate 2 things since they dont move on price.
2 rims 1 front one back had bad rash and the money to have the hood resprayed from one big rock chip. other than that it was the tightes sounding m5 motor i've heard to date and was in flawless condition.
i dnded up backing out cause they wouldnt give me what i wanted and i was having a hard time coming to grips with owning another jet black car. i own a jet black 540 now.
they also had a jet black 2001 that i originally came to look at . i took that one for a spin and heres wat i found ....
the clutch was slipping, the wheels were repainted by them with what looks like spray paint, the wind noise from the winshield was so loud it was blowing my hair back ( this is with the windows closed and ac off)
the bumpers and hood were repainted and it looked like they didnt even wash the car before they did it, all the door seals creeked, it had a very noticeable vanos rattle, and the ses light was on.
they swore to me that if i bought it like it sat they would fix it all under warranty or i could give the car back .. hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
look very closely at these cars, they all look good sitting on the lot until you really zero in on it. have the guy start the car with the hood up and you standing in front of the motor, no reving just idling see if it rattles or vibrates too much , m5 motors never twitch at all at idle.
walk around it 10 times and look at everything even the wheels wells..
ask the sales guy to find out from the buyer if it was an auction car or purchase from private party. if it was auction you can come back here with the vin and some one will know how much it sold for and when it sold from manhiem. if you get to a point to where you want to drive it. drive it for a long time even if it pisses off the sales guy. m5 's also take a long time to warm up so dont dog it til its fully warm..

good luck
ray

·
Registered
931 Posts
I would NEVER buy anything from CarMax. Too many bad stories from others who did. Just my $.02

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree that Carmax is hit or miss regarding cars. My experience is limited to getting appraisal on my 330Xi, when I was ready to buy M5. It turned out that BMW dealers and Carmax were giving exactly same amount of money. It felt to me like collusion... I ended up trading-in 2004 330Xi on my 2003 M5 to a dealer, because it was much easier transaction to complete. The Carmax appraiser was a young person, that appeared to knew cars. I had plenty of time to walk around parking lot and checking their cars. The price difference between nice and tired cars did not make sense, they seems to follow the mileage line of pricing rather than mileage and condition.

Igor

·
Registered
69 Posts
Seems that you're in MD area. I tried to buy the blue (or more accurately carbon black '01) at the white marsh location last month. Told them I'd take it if they would fix a door ding an replace the rear tires. Manager said no, I said keep your car. Ended up getting a MUCH better car from Westchester BMW outside New York city. Carmax car had dings, low tread and nothing but their 30 day warrantee (unless I spent $$ on their extended warrantee). Talked the BMW dealer down a few thousand and got a car that had fewer miles, not a single ding or scratch and had full upgraded leather, orig warrantee plus the CPO and new tires.

I'd likely shop arounds some more. Besides, when I first saw the car at carmax, it was in the show room and was DEAD. So dead they could not jump it. in trying to jump it they actually tried to jump it from the trunk and reversed the polarity and had smoke billowing out of the trunk. On my first drive, the dash didn't work, but they claimed they had it all sorted out and that that any car at carmax could be driven for a week and returned for a full refund. I figured I'd drive it hard for a week and see if I could find anything wrong, but I would have always worried if they did any damage to the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts