BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm running a '93 YJ wrangler. Just got the snow studs on it. They're great so far. I've never used snow studs before so I was a little worried the ride/noise would be bad in an already abusive setup (by comparison to the M5.) Real impressed so far. We'll see how they are in the snow/ice and how they handle later.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Snow studs are absolutely amazing when coupled with a Jeep. I had studs on my Grand Cherokee a couple years ago, and that thing would not and could not get stuck no matter what! Have you done any suspension work on your YJ? I wonder what the weather is supposed to look like for the next few weekends...

I think I saw that you posted in the gun thread in the E60 section... And I know now that Ron is a Gun Guy as well. Maybe we could set up something where we could all meet at a range and shoot...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah I'm a gun guy. I'm all about shooting. I think I still have a membership at the bullet hole on Shawnee Mission Parkway. Or I live on property if you want to get rifles and such involved.

Had a couple good snows now and you aren't kidding. I did manage to get my jeep stuck once but that was only with open differentials and my FL and RR corners weren't touching the ground. I stradled a ditch at just the wrong angle and it was square in a 3 ft drift.

The night the snow was the worst I was one of the few vehicles still on the road. Tow trucks weren't able to move. Everyone was 1st-gear crawling down the roads. I was still able to do 65 on the interstate and change lanes etc with no problem at all. It literally grips so well, it's scary. I think I pulled a total of 5 cars out of the median/ditch that night. Almost never had to use 4wd. I could stop on a steep hill that was completely iced over with no snow and take off again in 2wd.

The thing that has surprised me the most though, is I've already put close to 5k miles on the tires and the tungsten carbide studs still have the little nubs on the end to make them sharper. Almost 0 wear at all. All this being said, I still ordered a 10.5k winch for it.
As for suspension work. I'm sorry to say, I haven't really touched it. I've had it since Feb of 08 and it's just done so well that I haven't been motivated enough to crawl under it and throw a few grand at making it better.
I have a lifted '74 Chevy sitting on 35x12.50 BFG Mt's if things get really crazy. I still think I'll lift the Jeep some, put some 33's or 35's under it and maybe lockers in the spring. Except if I do that I'll probably want upgraded axles too. So I'm probably looking at a Ford 8.8 in the rear and dunno what in the front. I've been watching the KCjeepclub to see if I can find someone selling them, preferably with the correct leef perches and all, already installed. We'll see. I wanna ESS-SC and clutch the M5 and maybe get into a Ducati too so I gotta get some priorities in line. Everytime I drive my car, I can't wait to put time and money into it but then I drive my jeep and the $+simplicity make it an easy upgrade target too. I'll probably make the jeep my priority for now. I'll throw a clutch and tires at the M5 in the spring and save the upgrades for later. The car hasn't come close to getting spanked by anything and it's just so close to being perfect as-is, I don't see a big need to upgrade yet. The jeep on the other hand needs a little help before it gets around off road like my truck.
Then I face the option of maybe selling my jeep as it sits and buying one someone else has upgraded. I'm sure I'd be time and $$ ahead going that route and my jeep does so well on the road, I hate to lose it's ride, top end, fuel economy, reliability. I don't know, we'll see where spring finds me financially.

As I mentioned, I'm not driving my car much these days. As a result, I don't think to get on here much. If you or the other guys come up with a time you'd like to get together, cars or not, let me know. My work cell is 913-927-2715. Might shoot a text instead of call. The office phones go to the Supervisor on duty after office hours and we occasionally wind up forwarding calls from our work cells to eachother when we're off shift. Texts still go to the right phone though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Deep snow.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

I've pulled and been pulled more times than I can count of over the last week. Winch is on the way. This is right by my mailbox. The one you can't see. Even had a flooded river crossing at 0100 in the morning, resulting in a cracked coil, hydrolocked engine and me walking home 1.2 miles. in the snow, after 200 feet, barefoot wade through half frozen flooded road. By 0300, I had the water out of the block, the jeep pulled to a neighbor's house and I was home getting warm. Got her running the next day. but still had about 2 inches of water, frozen solid in the floorboard.

·
Registered
238 Posts

I've pulled and been pulled more times than I can count of over the last week. Winch is on the way. This is right by my mailbox. The one you can't see. Even had a flooded river crossing at 0100 in the morning, resulting in a cracked coil, hydrolocked engine and me walking home 1.2 miles. in the snow, after 200 feet, barefoot wade through half frozen flooded road. By 0300, I had the water out of the block, the jeep pulled to a neighbor's house and I was home getting warm. Got her running the next day. but still had about 2 inches of water, frozen solid in the floorboard.
Where are you located? South of Topeka? I live in the country myself (east of Junction City right on I-70). Used to have horses (I see the hay in the picture), and miss them but wouldn't have them again unless I had a nice barn, which I don't. Nice jeep too! I have a 2002 (or 2003.....) Mitsubishi Montero Ltd. that has excellent traction. I have an F350 and a blade, but the blade isn't mounted on the truck due to the mounting hardware used to be on my F250 and that hardware isn't compatible with the F350. I sold my F250 to my son and I asked him if he minded if I had that hardware reinstalled on that F250 and use it for blading. He's overseas in the USAF and he said he didn't mind. Do you know of any snowblade place that is experienced with the wiring, lighting and stuff that could remount this blade and mounting hardware on the F250? Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks. I love the Jeep. I live about 15 minutes North of KCI. We primarily have cattle but we also have a few (12) horses. They're all a pain when the weather gets like this.

As for your blade question. If it were mine, I'd take it to a friend of mine. He's nothing official but he's crazy with a welder and he does a lot of custom work for me and other people. He works at some steel factory in KC I believe. He built the bumper in the picture from tubing he had laying around. I even had him weld in some air fittings so I can use the bumper to store compressed air. He's up here in my area, about 3 miles from I-29. I can check into it if you'd like.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks. I love the Jeep. I live about 15 minutes North of KCI. We primarily have cattle but we also have a few (12) horses. They're all a pain when the weather gets like this.

As for your blade question. If it were mine, I'd take it to a friend of mine. He's nothing official but he's crazy with a welder and he does a lot of custom work for me and other people. He works at some steel factory in KC I believe. He built the bumper in the picture from tubing he had laying around. I even had him weld in some air fittings so I can use the bumper to store compressed air. He's up here in my area, about 3 miles from I-29. I can check into it if you'd like.
I don't need a welder, per se. I need someone who is knowledgeable with mounting hardware and wiring for the snowblades and lighting. Everything I have was already mounted on this 250 4x4 once, I just need someone who can remount the stuff. All holes are already drilled, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ah I see. That makes things much simpler. Have you looked into it? It should be pretty cut and dry - Plug N Play. Is it just something you don't want to mess with? My Dad put a blade on his F250 a couple years ago. I'll ask him what all was involved.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ah I see. That makes things much simpler. Have you looked into it? It should be pretty cut and dry - Plug N Play. Is it just something you don't want to mess with? My Dad put a blade on his F250 a couple years ago. I'll ask him what all was involved.
I don't want to mess with it, and I don't want to mess it up. The dealership in Manhattan where I bought the F350 and initially traded in the F250 removed all the wiring, nuts, bolts, pins, etc. 24 hours later I bought the F250 back from them and sold it to one of my kids (wish I'd known earlier he might have wanted to buy the F250....). So I have a whole box of wire, big bolts, little screws, pins, etc. Some of the big pins and bolts will be pretty self-explanatory. However, getting the wiring all put back in where they're supposed to go is something someone with some knowledge on these things might want to tackle. If I ever build another building out here I'm probably going to put a lift in it so I can get stuff like this up in the air and things would be a lot easier.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Oh, and Ron... If you do get a plow installed, would you like to come plow my driveway?! Haha, just kidding, the trucks that come and plow the streets here create mountains at the end of my driveway, so I have to monster truck over them with my cars, that is if I don't get out and shovel... which I hate!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh, and Ron... If you do get a plow installed, would you like to come plow my driveway?! Haha, just kidding, the trucks that come and plow the streets here create mountains at the end of my driveway, so I have to monster truck over them with my cars, that is if I don't get out and shovel... which I hate!
I have my plow, I just need to get it re-installed back on the truck. When there's snow like this I spend a lot of time doing people's driveways, streets, etc., for free. Never made a dime on it. Lots of seniors with no way of getting out. My wife and I spent Christmas day, once we got out of the business, delivering hot meals to people in town for a local ministry. We knew some of them and they were surprised to see us knocking on their door with hot Christmas meals.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow, Ron. Very noble of you. My Fiance and I are looking into perhaps doing some Meals on Wheels stuff sometime soon... I honestly cannot believe how cold it is outside with these windchills... I was out snow blowing today and after about an hour outside, I seriously couldn't feel my feet or hands! I haven't even really gotten down to the office for a while, simply because nobody wants to do anything related to my business because of this weather. How have you guys been keeping busy lately?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow, Ron. Very noble of you. My Fiance and I are looking into perhaps doing some Meals on Wheels stuff sometime soon... I honestly cannot believe how cold it is outside with these windchills... I was out snow blowing today and after about an hour outside, I seriously couldn't feel my feet or hands! I haven't even really gotten down to the office for a while, simply because nobody wants to do anything related to my business because of this weather. How have you guys been keeping busy lately?
In our pet grooming and boarding, and retail sales, it never stops. The overwhelming traffic of the Christmas holidays is over now (and we're grateful for the business, but we're also grateful when it slows down some). It is truly bitterly cold outside. We help "humans" like in the hot meals for folks (not just seniors), but for pets also. One thing that we do that takes a lot of our time and resources are rescues. In 2008 we, along with the local Friends of Animals (which we're probably the major part of), we found homes for over 1,200 pets. 2009 we probably did more. 2010 we've already jumped feet-first into saving dogs from shelters that they're ready to put down. We can't save them all, but we truly do the best we can. That's all we can do is our best.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Alright. aside from just guys that know how to put the thing on. I don't know of a shop around that is reputably any better than the others. I'll definitely keep my ears open but that's about the best I can do. As for pictures of animals, I have a bunch somewhere. Most of them are on other cameras. If I find some I'll throw 'em up. In the mean time I thought I'd put another Jeep photo up.
Oh btw. I got my 10.5k lbs winch on finally. Holy dog **** that thing is nuts. I chained the back bumper of my jeep to a tree today and winched a Ford 9000 row-crop tractor out of a ditch. The thing's back tire was buried to the axle. Not the first winch use, definitely won't be the last but it's certainly the most impressive so far. Wish I had taken video.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Since our last writings I've taken the F250 back to the Ford Stealership and they put the stuff back on it. I don't know if it works or not (electronics) as the blade is in the back of the garage and is blocked in by two cars, and I can't back them out of the garage because of about 1' of packed snow and ice. What a deal. Only problem is, there is a long piece of rectangular iron they took off of the front end of the truck and this was not taken off when I had the blade and stuff on it before. The iron runs like fron headlight to headlight on the very front and I'm wonderinf if that was to tie the chassis together, or if it's crash absorbtion protection, or what.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did mount to the frame with rubber bushings? IE a cross member? or was it just more of a fender to fender body support/radiator support? I wouldn't worry about the later but you don't want ANY lack in frame strength if you're running a blade. Good news is, they installed it, they can fix or replace it if something breaks I guess. Don't know about your dealerships in your area but I manage our vehicle fleet and of our 15, maybe 4 aren't Fords. When I got here a year ago, we used the dealer most of the time. I can safely and comfortably say that barring some unforseen event, I'll never do business with ANY Ford dealership again. Like unrealistically ridiculous problems. I've got a list but so does everyone else so I won't bore you with it. In your case it might have been a good idea since you want to be able to hold them responsible if something happens but I always take the opportunity to dissuade people from Ford dealerships. Good luck on the garage debacle. Park that blade outside next time. I assume it's too packed to shovel? Is it within garden hose range? Maybe melt it?

Since our last writings I've taken the F250 back to the Ford Stealership and they put the stuff back on it. I don't know if it works or not (electronics) as the blade is in the back of the garage and is blocked in by two cars, and I can't back them out of the garage because of about 1' of packed snow and ice. What a deal. Only problem is, there is a long piece of rectangular iron they took off of the front end of the truck and this was not taken off when I had the blade and stuff on it before. The iron runs like fron headlight to headlight on the very front and I'm wonderinf if that was to tie the chassis together, or if it's crash absorbtion protection, or what.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Did mount to the frame with rubber bushings? IE a cross member? or was it just more of a fender to fender body support/radiator support? I wouldn't worry about the later but you don't want ANY lack in frame strength if you're running a blade. Good news is, they installed it, they can fix or replace it if something breaks I guess. Don't know about your dealerships in your area but I manage our vehicle fleet and of our 15, maybe 4 aren't Fords. When I got here a year ago, we used the dealer most of the time. I can safely and comfortably say that barring some unforseen event, I'll never do business with ANY Ford dealership again. Like unrealistically ridiculous problems. I've got a list but so does everyone else so I won't bore you with it. In your case it might have been a good idea since you want to be able to hold them responsible if something happens but I always take the opportunity to dissuade people from Ford dealerships. Good luck on the garage debacle. Park that blade outside next time. I assume it's too packed to shovel? Is it within garden hose range? Maybe melt it?
I took it by the same Ford $tealership this morning and showed it to their body shop. I've had good luck with this body shop before. I didn't tell them that their mechanics did the blade install. He got under there and said this blade package does the same thing of securing the left-right sides of the vehicle secure, just as that one bar did. He asked me who did it and I told him that Ford dealer did, and he said it looked alright with him. I can shovel our here because we have about 1/8 - 1/4 mile of road to do, lots of driveway, and not enough back to do it with. Once I get the blade back on the truck the blade will stay outside all winter long installed on the truck (if not year-around). I've got the Blizzaks on it, and the blade will probably go on by Sunday.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Love how that M-Technic bumper cover plows snow. I drove mine January and February last winter. Now I know what child molesters feel like. I felt like a monster. I hated walking away from it whenever I parked it. I could feel the hateful stares. Glad there's no car protective service to protect cars from their owners. The state would now own it :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
New to m5board.com..

I'm in KC, Alpine White E60 M5.

Thinking of going to the Club GTG next Saturday... anyone else from here going to that?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
9 Participants
Redleg9
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing