BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody has install camshaft to the beast..
Does it affect idle? How much hp gains? Does it benefit having
3.91 diff. Since your revving always higher?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have search the board and not much on camshaft. I think I have seen on gtboard in youtube video of gustav in a kellener M5 with camshaft mod.???About the 3.91 diff. I use my car for daily driving and I love the higher torque and with the AA software in the lower rpm the car is very, very responsive. It's like a new car. I did take the car for 1/4 mile runs but without the DSC just spin the wheel up to 3rd gear. I do need to learn to play with the throttel.

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
I have never herd of anyone replacing the camshaft on these engines to gain HP. You can do a lot of damage to the engine if the timing is messed up. Besides, you can always change the ignition timing by tuning the ECU.

Have read some bad reviews about the 3.91 diff as well.
Totally the opposite my good friend Hasan.

Both myself and Bavarian Beast ( John ) have installed Schrick ( Kelleners simply sells them under his brand name ) cams.

It is a myth that damage can occur or that there is no gain in power.

Let me inform you firsthand.

Schrick cams for the S85 cost 2800$ and can be found at Turner Motorsport for 2250$.

Their duration is 292 degrees and the valve lift is 12.2 mm.

The gain is +18 hp at 7800rpm and -1hp at 4500rpm. This means that the engine becomes somewhat peakier.

What is the problem then ???

Two problems.

1) Find a REAL EXPERT with true knowledge to do the installation.

2) Find a software tuner with bal*s to tune the engine accordingly ...cough... cough ESS.

So the total cost of cams, installation and tune is approximately 4500$.

Not cheap by any means. But from personal experience worth every penny.

Especially if someone has already installed all the bolt-on goodies. Headers, exhaust, ram-air induction, pulley and the final tune

for all of these plus cams.

I got 605 hp crank at 8150 rpm with the limiter raised to 8450rpm, while before installing the cams I could barely reach 580.

And all that on a Maha dyno which is very-very conservative and the most accurate dyno in the world.

Now regarding 3.91 diff.

I do not see what the problem may be. No, I do not have it.

Shorter final drive will reduce top speed and improve acceleration. Further than that what is the problem ???

Best regards,

George:cheers:

P.S.

The cams have nothing to do with ignition timing. They simply allow a larger air-fuel quantity to pass through the valves and be compressed in the chambers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank for the info.. I guess having the diff. Should Make camshaft a good match
Since I rev. Always higher and the HP oF the camshaft are deliver at the high end of the RPM
Curve.
Did I read right you have 20mm spacer on the back tires? Do they rob with fender?
Any help with traction?

P.S. I did install the nito invo, but the are not as good as people
Say. They feel unsafe...

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Thanks for the information George. Makes sense.

I have the Evolve ECU tune. They promised me free upgrades if I installed headers or anything that required an upgrade. I shall check with them if they have done the tuning for after market cams. Looks like I shall be doing the headers and the cams together. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hi George.

Looking back on this thread from over a year ago, would you change your opinion on the cams assuming someone had all the bolt-on goodies (including headers)? I'm assuming it would make more sense to just use the money against an ESS SC?

-b.

Totally the opposite my good friend Hasan.

Both myself and Bavarian Beast ( John ) have installed Schrick ( Kelleners simply sells them under his brand name ) cams.

It is a myth that damage can occur or that there is no gain in power.

Let me inform you firsthand.

Schrick cams for the S85 cost 2800$ and can be found at Turner Motorsport for 2250$.

Their duration is 292 degrees and the valve lift is 12.2 mm.

The gain is +18 hp at 7800rpm and -1hp at 4500rpm. This means that the engine becomes somewhat peakier.

What is the problem then ???

Two problems.

1) Find a REAL EXPERT with true knowledge to do the installation.

2) Find a software tuner with bal*s to tune the engine accordingly ...cough... cough ESS.

So the total cost of cams, installation and tune is approximately 4500$.

Not cheap by any means. But from personal experience worth every penny.

Especially if someone has already installed all the bolt-on goodies. Headers, exhaust, ram-air induction, pulley and the final tune

for all of these plus cams.

I got 605 hp crank at 8150 rpm with the limiter raised to 8450rpm, while before installing the cams I could barely reach 580.

And all that on a Maha dyno which is very-very conservative and the most accurate dyno in the world.

Now regarding 3.91 diff.

I do not see what the problem may be. No, I do not have it.

Shorter final drive will reduce top speed and improve acceleration. Further than that what is the problem ???

Best regards,

George:cheers:

P.S.

The cams have nothing to do with ignition timing. They simply allow a larger air-fuel quantity to pass through the valves and be compressed in the chambers.

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
Hi George.

Looking back on this thread from over a year ago, would you change your opinion on the cams assuming someone had all the bolt-on goodies (including headers)? I'm assuming it would make more sense to just use the money against an ESS SC?

-b.
Bryan,

When I started modding the car, the ESS supercharger was not available.
If I was to start from the beginning, I would install only the ESS VT2 and headers. Nothing else.

Yes, it is a 20.000 $ expense, but it is the best mod for the money. And very near 700 hp.

George

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yes, I know it wasn't available which is why I wanted your opinion now, "if you had it to do all over again".

I assume you would also add full exhaust. The only thing better than the symphonic sound of our V10 is when its volume is turned up. :grinyes:

-b.

Bryan,

When I started modding the car, the ESS supercharger was not available.
If I was to start from the beginning, I would install only the ESS VT2 and headers. Nothing else.

Yes, it is a 20.000 $ expense, but it is the best mod for the money. And very near 700 hp.

George

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
Yes, I know it wasn't available which is why I wanted your opinion now, "if you had it to do all over again".

I assume you would also add full exhaust. The only thing better than the symphonic sound of our V10 is when its volume is turned up. :grinyes:

-b.
Agreed,

Only drawback for a good quality exhaust ( RPI ), is the loss of backpressure, which is very significant to supercharged engines
and even more in turbocharged engines.

George

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
No rush -- take your time.. You know that as fast as you answer, more questions will come. :grinyes:

That's your curse for possessing a wealth of knowledge. :thumbsup: :hihi:

-b.

I got your pm's Bryan. I will answer later today.

George

Reactions: gkinvest

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I was once looking into changing cams but decided to hold off, it seemed like a big job at the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts