BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody tried the 40 watt LED angel eyes for their car? I just ordered a set ($65 w/shipping) and thought I'd try them after my 20 watt quit working. They guarantee no fault codes and they "plug and play" I will keep everyone posted....

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've had 10w 20w 40w. They all worked great except for the 20w which burned on one side. I'm running 100w now and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've had 10w 20w 40w. They all worked great except for the 20w which burned on one side. I'm running 100w now and I couldn't be happier.
100 W LED angel eyes? Haha! Are you nuts?! :confused2

I'm actually a mechanical engineer and I don't have a master degree within electronics, but even I understand that this is marketing bull sh*t.
I don't even think the electrical system and wiring to the supply for the angel eyes could transmit that kind of electrical current. You would need a 10 or 11 AWG copper cable to supply this kind of current. If the 20 W LED's really are 20 W, that's why they burn out and 40 W or 100 W will burn out even quicker, if they really have the stated power level.

Edit: it wouldn't fit mechanically either, since a 100 W LED chip is approx 1½x2 inches in size, without driver and heat sink. 5 or even 10 W LED angel eyes, I can believe in, since they would be about the same brightnes as a 60 W light bulb for home appliances. Anything above that, I call their bluff!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a e60 LCI and my halogen angel eyes just went out. I'm thinking about these 20W bulbs:
20W 6000K White BMW H8 LED Angel Eyes Ring Marker Light Bulbs for 1 3 5 x Series | eBay

My concerns are:
1. Interference with the system (faults codes, RF interference etc)
2. Heating - I understand the heat dissipated by the LED heatsinks are enough to damage the headlights (esp during low beam mode when the xenons are on and the LED don't dim)
3. Flickering

Any thoughts on the above would appreciated and yes I'm not looking to spend more than a $100 on both lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a e60 LCI and my halogen angel eyes just went out. I'm thinking about these 20W bulbs:
Error Free Angel Eyes 20W 6000K White Halo Ring LED Marker Light CREE R4 for BMW | eBay

My concerns are:
1. Interference with the system (faults codes, RF interference etc)
2. Heating - I understand the heat dissipated by the LED heatsinks are enough to damage the headlights (esp during low beam mode when the xenons are on and the LED don't dim)
3. Flickering

Any thoughts on the above would appreciated and yes I'm not looking to spend more than a $100 on both lights.

Or should I just stick to the halogens :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts