BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about two Recaro SPA carbon fiber, or Sparco Corsa fiberglass competition buckets.
So have I a few questions, if anybody knows:
- Weight of the front seats?
- Any problems with airbags changing the seats?
- Any problems with the seat belts and pretensioners?
- Something I did not think about?

Thanks!
Coolcat

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Check out member Black M5's seats, they are wicked!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I am thinking about two Recaro SPA carbon fiber, or Sparco Corsa fiberglass competition buckets.
So have I a few questions, if anybody knows:
- Weight of the front seats?
- Any problems with airbags changing the seats?
- Any problems with the seat belts and pretensioners?
- Something I did not think about?

Thanks!
Coolcat
Hi cool cat, yeah i believe im the only member here who have changed the e60 M5 seats :thumbsup:

To answer you

1- The stock seats are so heavy it felt they were a ton. I lifted one and i almost broke my back. Seriously! The seats i have are carbeau and weigh 27 lbs and we are estimated a weigh saving of 80 lbs for the pair. Stock seats must weigh between 120-130 lbs (guessing) 54-60 kgs.

2- I did get a air bag warning and that cuz we i changed the leather in the inside of the car. Did a reset and its fine now.

3- Got an seat belt warning but later we discovered that there was a device in the stock seats that had to be removed and installed in the new seats. Done and the seat belt warning is gone now. The seat belt warning comes on now if you arent wearing it, just like stock :)

4- Something else that wasnt encounted for was that the bracket that came with the seats werent high enough, so we prabricated a piece to go under it to lift it another inch or so and now its fine.

5- You will like this. The different in weight loss was noticable as low as 1st gear :1: I have come a long way in weight saving and have bought almost every weight saving mod available including a light weight battary (50lbs lost) :hihi:

Its all good and worth it. It feels and looks good :1:

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Black M5,
Thank you for the detailed info, great job ;)

In fact I plan even more racing seat, as I was thinking some Recaro racing carbon fiber seats, like their SPA model which is great and only weighs 4,5Kg. With aluminum fixed mounts.
So I would get almost 60Kg savings + much better seating position ( I like to sit quite low and the oem seats are too high for me ) + much better lateral support.

One question: the seat belt mechanism is inside the oem seats. How did you do? Is there a way to take it out of the seats and put it on the new seats? Or did you use other belts?

Thanks for your help, and yes I recall you had told me about the battery...I have got this in my plans...But I have lost time with an ASR exhaust that has taken 2 months to arrive...and now trying to modify it because it sucks: always droning, resonating, more noisy at idle or part throttle than when pushing the car.
Hope I can find a nice solution.
Then I need wheels / tyre. Difficult to find wheels, There is almost nothing than corresponds to my criterias for the M5.
Then the anti-roll bars.
And then the seats and battery....
Cheers,
Cool

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Thats cool and lets us know when they go on the car :thumbsup:

The device can be found in the oem seats like i mentioned and the garage who works on my car managed to solve the airbag and seatbelt defaults lights on the dashboard and made them go away. It was a straight forward thing, they were removed from the oem seats and installed or shall i say attached to the new ones and the job was done.

When i said warning its not the warning you get when you dont wear the seat belt but the lights in the dash is what i meant. I had an airbag and seat belt lights "on" in the dash constantly. Now that they are gone, the warning sound comes on now to remind you to wear the seat belt, just like in a stock M5 which is cool.

And regarding the mounts, you can always play with them and mine sat low at the beginging and in the pics you can see what i mean cuz they were taken before we adjusted them to get them to sit higher.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
They are nice and look like a set of recaro's ive seen. I personally didnt like them and opt to go for the ones i have :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
How about 2,7Kg's per seat?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
You are sacrficing comfort and ride for weight with those extreme seats. Could go on a Gt3 RS maybe but not an M5 IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts