BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in dire need of a E39 M5. I remember seeing this one on e-bay about 6-8 months ago, but I couldn't afford it then. I'm pretty sure it was featured in a thread here. It's a 2001 LMB Euro Spec M5:

2001 BMW M5, $23,500 - Cars.com

So here's the thing:

1) I'm pretty sure these are the same pictures that were used on E-bay way back when. But it's being sold at a dealership (if it's legit) - what's up with that? Anybody know anything about this car?

2) I'm a little nervous about buying from a dealer. Their other pictures show some pretty nice cars, so they could be pretty classy - but it just makes it so hard to know anythign about the history of the car. And there's only so much you can get from a PPI.

3) So it has a California plate, but the dealership appears to be in Canada. Perhaps that's just their main office or something - but if the car IS in canada, how hard would it be to get it registered in the US? (obviously it's been done before...)

4) I greatly prefer the non-sport interior. But since this one's not two tone, i'd probably only want to change out the aluminum to dark wood. How hard would it be to find all the wood pieces?

Any insight here would be great - I just have a general distrust of used car dealers, so it'd be great if someone recognized this car and could fill me in on it.

·
4,360 Posts
if the car is in canada i dont see why you couldn't just re-use all DMV documents from the U.S.

- cars from canada and US can go back and fort without issue

- you just have to switch the Dials from KM -to- MILES & maybe some other stuff (a few members have done it)

for the interior there's plenty of members who'd want to change from wood to aluminum so you should have no problems finding a trade.

the dark wood should be BURL WALNUT - i have it and would consider aluminum, but am still unsure the wood is growing on me

as to the interior as a whole - i think you should keep it - few members have actually ended up changing a whole new interior because they didn't like it - regardless of the combo they all work (except for silverstone - and bruyer/burl - for me at least - it just looks weird - silverstone interior i think is the only one that doesn't work with wood)

also even if it is at a dealer - just get a PPI

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the car is in canada i dont see why you couldn't just re-use all DMV documents from the U.S.

- cars from canada and US can go back and fort without issue

- you just have to switch the Dials from KM -to- MILES & maybe some other stuff (a few members have done it)

for the interior there's plenty of members who'd want to change from wood to aluminum so you should have no problems finding a trade.

the dark wood should be BURL WALNUT - i have it and would consider aluminum, but am still unsure the wood is growing on me

as to the interior as a whole - i think you should keep it - few members have actually ended up changing a whole new interior because they didn't like it - regardless of the combo they all work (except for silverstone - and bruyer/burl - for me at least - it just looks weird - silverstone interior i think is the only one that doesn't work with wood)

also even if it is at a dealer - just get a PPI
Yeah, I guess I can just get a thorough PPI and with the exception of, say, rod bearings - it should cover most of the issues.

I'm still trying to figure out where this thing is. Like I mentioned, I think the pictures are a few months old - the plate is from california - and the dealer (their office location listed on the ad, anyway) is in Canada. So who knows where it is!

·
4,360 Posts
Yeah, I guess I can just get a thorough PPI and with the exception of, say, rod bearings - it should cover most of the issues.

I'm still trying to figure out where this thing is. Like I mentioned, I think the pictures are a few months old - the plate is from california - and the dealer (their office location listed on the ad, anyway) is in Canada. So who knows where it is!
wasn't the car in florida?

there was a thread but i can't find it

·
Registered
107 Posts
Where are you guys getting Canada from? It says Ontario CA which is California, even hit the map button and it brings up a US zip code in Cali.... you guys need more coffee I think :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are you guys getting Canada from? It says Ontario CA which is California, even hit the map button and it brings up a US zip code in Cali.... you guys need more coffee I think :)
Oh boy. I guess the long hours are taking their toll. I've been working with people in Ontario, CANADA for the past few months, so I assumed 'ontario ca" was up there.

·
4,360 Posts
Maybe that's why it has "fuzzy" owners?
fuzzy owners?

has a lot more miles than i thought it would - NOT that it's a bad thing, but usually athletes usually put on low miles because they get driven around

also anyone care to explain why the EURO cars get the PENTOSIN - steering fluid ring-sticker and not the ATF fluid cap?

pictures below + VIN WBSDE91060GJ21248

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fuzzy owners?

has a lot more miles than i thought it would - NOT that it's a bad thing, but usually athletes usually put on low miles because they get driven around

also anyone care to explain why the EURO cars get the PENTOSIN - steering fluid ring-sticker and not the ATF fluid cap?
Right - so in the description on cars.com:

2001 BMW M5, EXCEPTIONAL vehicle. This car is a European delivery model with no built-in factory 155 mph speed limiter. The car has had 2 fuzzy owners since new. Always garaged. NO paintwork anywhere, all original paint. No dings, dents, scratches anywhere. Serviced at one shop since new. New clutch, brakes, tires. Both the interior and exterior look new. The car has every available option including the factory built-in child seat, navigation. TV tuner, CD changer, etc. If you are looking for a superb M5, this is it. Please call us first as we are open by appointment only.
Not sure what that means. Possible that someone bought it from the basketball star and drove it around a bit, and now it's for sale again. I'll try to get in touch with the dealer this afternoon and get some more info. I think it'd be pretty cool to have a euro spec car!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Not sure what that means. Possible that someone bought it from the basketball star and drove it around a bit, and now it's for sale again. I'll try to get in touch with the dealer this afternoon and get some more info. I think it'd be pretty cool to have a euro spec car!
My thoughts:

1) I think they meant "two fussy owners". The "z" isn't that far from the "s" and it makes a lot more sense.
2) It is likely not a "Euro Spec" car. I thought I read "Euro Delivery". That's a US car that was delivered in Europe.
3) There was no TV tuner option - never was, probably never will be - for the US market. Our DOT won't permit it.
4) It's a dealer. They don't lie as much as just say things wrong because they are morons.*
5) Car looks good.
6) It's a used car. Be careful.
7) Keep us posted.

Michael

* - j/k. Not all of them are, some of them really know their business and their products. A few.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My thoughts:

1) I think they meant "two fussy owners". The "z" isn't that far from the "s" and it makes a lot more sense.
2) It is likely not a "Euro Spec" car. I thought I read "Euro Delivery". That's a US car that was delivered in Europe.
3) There was no TV tuner option - never was, probably never will be - for the US market. Our DOT won't permit it.
4) It's a dealer. They don't lie as much as just say things wrong because they are morons.*
5) Car looks good.
6) It's a used car. Be careful.
7) Keep us posted.
2) Yeah, i saw that it said euro delivery - but my thought there is this: on all the other Euro Delivery cars I've seen, it has the US trunk lid to fit the US plate, with a temporary plate the same size as a US plate. This one just has the straight euro trunk lid.

3) I thought there was a DVD or TV player option or something on the Euro cars?

6) Pretty much any E39 I buy will be used ;)

·
4,360 Posts
2) Yeah, i saw that it said euro delivery - but my thought there is this: on all the other Euro Delivery cars I've seen, it has the US trunk lid to fit the US plate, with a temporary plate the same size as a US plate. This one just has the straight euro trunk lid.

3) I thought there was a DVD or TV player option or something on the Euro cars?

6) Pretty much any E39 I buy will be used ;)
they messed up the nomeclature

EURO DELIVERY is when you pick up your car at BMW in germany, but from what i remember this car was federalized/or whatever it's called - for the U.S.

the dealer refers to it as a EURO DELIVERY not knowing that is the technical term for picking up the car in europe NOT a car that was made for the european market and imported to the U.S.

plus i don't think they went as far as copying the PENTOSIN sticker on the steering fluid reservoir

if they're dumb enough to use "Z"s instead of "S"s - i wouldn't be surprised the didn't know the more technical terms

- and yes there was a TV Module feature on euro cars - so this car could have it - dunno where he's getting his service from? is it basically antenna service? won't work in my area fyi - no more antenna TV signal available here :hihi:

EDIT:

from what i remember the car was identified as a euro car - euro lower dash, trunk, pentosin, & obviously the VIN (dunno how to decode it but if some did i bet it'll come back as a german market car)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts