BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was cruising ebay looking for a StealthOne (not going to happen)...and I remembered how a bunch of people on another Audi form I am a member on were looking into mounting the V1 display in the glass of the rear-view mirror...

I found this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VALENTINE-1-RADAR-LOCATOR-IN-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR_W0QQitemZ260204175830QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260204175830

Although now that I think of it the M mirror doesn't have much real estate...it looks like a pretty cool mod...and i guess this company will also create a V1 housing cover out of leather....also a plus for people who have mounted their V1 on the passenger visor...if they do custom work i'm assuming they could do a custom display for our mirrors...maybe just the arrows and a couple different color LEDs under it to denote what band it's picking up??

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
These rear view mirrors use the insides of the remote display piece. There have been people who have changed the color of the lights to their preference. Someone on ebay does it. It has been a while, but I saw it when I was in the s4 world. You send a remote display and the mirror and you receive a completed one back in return for a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
572 Posts
^

I've looked into this a while back, but walked away do the fact that I could not find a clear pic displaying the stealth housing cover, holding the rest of the unit. The mirror strictly houses the display and not the actual unit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked into this a while back, but walked away do the fact that I could not find a clear pic displaying the stealth housing cover, holding the rest of the unit. The mirror strictly houses the display and not the actual unit.
These rear view mirrors use the insides of the remote display piece. There have been people who have changed the color of the lights to their preference. Someone on ebay does it. It has been a while, but I saw it when I was in the s4 world. You send a remote display and the mirror and you receive a completed one back in return for a few hundred dollars.
I understand all of this....however it seems like a better option than the "stealth" display we mount on the dash/steering column...the stealth cover i'm assuming is only a pocket made from the material of your choice...just slip the V1 in and mount it where you had it before...(on the rear deck or pass. sun visor)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Radar/Laser detectors are illegal up here in canada.
So the emphesis would have to be on "stealth" when looking into housing the main unit.
If anyone has a clear pic or link.....please post...I'm interested.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Wouldn't people from behind still see the flashing arrows and numbers defeating the whole "stealth" purpose?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Radar/Laser detectors are illegal up here in canada.
Not entirely. BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan allow their use. I used my Bel STi Driver in Manitoba so the RCMP couldn't pick it up on their Spectre units.

If you want to run a detector but are afraid of getting busted in Ontario, get the Bel STi Driver, it's got excellent range (comparable to the X50 and V1), and it's the ONLY detector on the market that cannot be detected by the Spectre family of RDDs. It may not have arrows, but what good are arrows if the only thing they're pointing at are the RCMP/OPP unit that's just picked up your illegal detector?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Thaichi808 has one on his car and fwiw i like the clean look...but the $$$ really breaks my bankcherrsagai

·
Registered
172 Posts
Be patient for an S1. I too was looking for a unit for about a month and then one showed up in the FS section of the board. I absolutely LOVE IT! Although I have to admit it's been a little strange looking at the cluster when I hear the V1 fire off.

You may have to spend a pretty penny on the S1 but it's completely worth it!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Can you even do the etching as shown above to our liquid filled mirrors?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Be patient for an S1. I too was looking for a unit for about a month and then one showed up in the FS section of the board. I absolutely LOVE IT! Although I have to admit it's been a little strange looking at the cluster when I hear the V1 fire off.

You may have to spend a pretty penny on the S1 but it's completely worth it!

Agree 110%

·
Registered
553 Posts
Go S1, but people are asking for a lot to sell this discontinueed model. The demand is still there but Jaric Design was using a part the was discontinued in mfg'ing this unit. Therefore they stopped. I saw on e on ebay sell for over $800. Glad I still have mine ;-)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not to brag, but I only paid $450 for mine a month ago...

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Wouldn't people from behind still see the flashing arrows and numbers defeating the whole "stealth" purpose?
That plus the price keeps me from this. Also, even tho you have the display in the mirror, you still need to mount the detector high on the windshield where it can be seen in order for it to work optimally. All this really is, is a replacement for the small remote box that has the display on it. The advantage of that is you can put it down low where it only can be seen by you. I'll admit the mirror looks cool though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts